What is the =maximum= that you'd be willing to pay for a game?

What is the maximum you would spend per month for one Game

• $15 and under

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • $16-20

Votes: 48 50.5%
  • $21-30

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • $31-40

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • $41 and over

Votes: 8 8.4%

• Total voters
unless they are giving some type of life altering experience in the collectors edition they can keep it.

oh and $50 for the box. i might go a bit higher simply because i anticipate a great game.

Docmdnite said:
unless they are giving some type of life altering experience in the collectors edition they can keep it.

oh and $50 for the box. i might go a bit higher simply because i anticipate a great game.

*your a winner sound* There ya go-ya hit what I was saying. A life altering item that doesn't give you TOO much of an advantage.

For collectors editions I find it all depends on whats in them, if its just maps and soundtracks and "making of.." documentaries, then I usually can't justify the extra money. If they have special in-game items then I usually find it impossible to control my addiction.

Heh, this poll never quits kicking. Every time I peek back into Hero's Hall its still on the first page of the new posts. Don't think HJ-Sylveria realised the can of worms she opened with this one.

And I still can't believe the majority of people would pay above industry standard rates... I think that is going to be highly unrepresentative of the audience when the game is live.

blur said:
And I still can't believe the majority of people would pay above industry standard rates... I think that is going to be highly unrepresentative of the audience when the game is live.

All I can say is to each their own. If they have the money to pay the higher than market costs then bless them. Folks do crazy things. Like having 6 active accounts for a text based game at a total monthly cost of $239.70 ($39.95 per account)

Zhelas said:
All I can say is to each their own. If they have the money to pay the higher than market costs then bless them. Folks do crazy things. Like having 6 active accounts for a text based game at a total monthly cost of $239.70 ($39.95 per account)
Aye, but my key line was, I think that is going to be highly unrepresentative of the audience when the game is live.

Because what you cite is, obviously, real. But also I don't think it's common.

My point being we have a whole bunch of hardcore Simu nuts in here and, really, I don't think the answers we're feeding back are truly representative of what the mainstream gaming community -- which will be invading HJ -- thinks.

Box price is almost irrelevant. For the right game, I'd pony up whatever is necessary. The ocst has to match the value, however.

Monthly fee is a different matter, as it has to be budgeted. $20 seems a good price point to me.

Navarre said:
50 for the box. 15 a month.

I will happily pass up any $25-$75+ a month premium/platinum subscriptions.

Kuzzle said:
Well... I guess the maximum I'd pay for the actualy box/disk stuff is $60? Yeah... The most I'd be willing to pay monthly would be $20, but I think that a lot of people would just pay the $15 dollar a month games. If you had $40 a month premium accounts, most people wouldn't even get the game, because they'd feel they were getting less because they didn't want to/couldn't pay that much per month. Yeah...

Jaraeth said:
Including taxes: $60 for the retail box; and including taxes, no more than $20/mo for subscription pricing.

Valendros said:
In order for me to play it forever and stick by it even if I'm mildly to moderately annoyed with some features:
Box: 30
Monthly: 10

In order for me to play it forever if it is the best game I've ever seen with no gripes at all - angels sing when I log in, I lose my job because I love it so much:
Box: 60
Monthly: 35/mo

Ikiru said:
I'd pay 49.99 for the box

69.99 for a collectors edition if it had some goodies

15 a month for subscription unless they really wow'd me and had features that I thought were worth the cost. Then I'd only pay 18-20.

Thaos Nightwind said:
$60 box

$25 per month

But as of yet there has been no game to garner that from me.

deathmetal said:
Max for me would be $60 for the game and $15 a month. I might tolerate payijng a bit over $15 if I really enjoy the game, but $20 and over I will not pay monthly for a game. If the average monthly prices of MMORPGS end up going over $20 a month i'll stick to single player games or free multiplayer games like NWN.

Daax said:
50 for the initial purchase from the store.
15 for a monthly fee. (Maybe 20 if I'm feelin anxious)

Wee! But yea, box price has been part of this thread since the first reply. It "could" be off topic if that's what you were saying, but it certainly been brought up. Also, one last quote. I believe I missed reading this one, so here's my incredibly late reply.

hj-sylveria said:
If there were no boxes to buy, would that increase your willingness to spend more per month? If you paid enough per month that expansions were cheap or free, would that make a difference?

On the flip side, if you had a very inexpensive monthly rate but paid for perks like quarterly merchant events, would you spend the extra money to attend the events? And if so, what would you be willing to pay?

Hey, look! I'm running a poll! :smiley:

One thing I enjoyed the most about playing horizons and City of Heroes was the direct download of the client off of the website. If HJ had something like that, I would be willing to pay more.

God, you must be bored, WM.

As you surmise, the comment is about what the thread (and more specifically, the poll), is about... not so much what comments have been made, related to that.

Back