What is the =maximum= that you'd be willing to pay for a game?

What is the maximum you would spend per month for one Game

• $15 and under

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • $16-20

Votes: 48 50.5%
  • $21-30

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • $31-40

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • $41 and over

Votes: 8 8.4%

• Total voters
Sabastian said:
You just might be surprised. I don't know many people that only play one MMO at a time. Add in their concel games and thats alot of money Gamers spend every year. And don't forget that buying and selling of gold et. al. is a multi MM dollar business. Seems they have plenty of cash.

Nice work Jaraeth! So close to getting more information, but noooooo, you had to go play topic cop! :P

S.

I'm not surprised people can and will pay more. It astounds me that it's so much though... $75? $150? *ouch* My wallet is cringing just thinking of that. However, see... I won't pay over $20/mo for a subscription because, in a sense, I am paying for many accounts. I pay for a friends account while they're job hunting... because I want them to play with my and my other half... and I pay for my other half's account too... so yeah, I'm paying $60/mo for online games. But only $20 of it is mine... increase that to say,.. $30/mo, and now I'm paying $90/mo instead of $60, and that I definitely can't afford. Get rid of my friend? I could... but I won't... yet.

I still stand by my original figures: $50-$70 for a retail box; $30-$40 for an online purchase, $15-$20 for monthly subscription. Though, with hearing Vanguard is chosing $25/mo... I *might* go that high... maybe, it better darn well live up to all my expectations.

~ Jaraeth

Heck, I'd be willing to pay $100 for a collector's edition of HJ, well, so long as there was an actual difference. It doesn't even have to have some in-game tangibility. Give me a few goodies, the odd behind-the-making DVD, and an art book and I'll be happy with spending nearly twice as much for a collectors edition.

However, I'd only ever be willing to pay up to about $20/month for a subscription. Period. If all MMORPGs start charging $30/month, then, well, I guess I won't be playing MMORPGs anymore.

And yes, I do believe a small companies like Simu "deserves the latitude to charge a little more for a quality, interpersonal, and immersive environment so that they can continue to build the world for" us, though only a little. As stated above, my price range is $20 max, which, right now, is more than the going rate for MMO monthly subscriptions. So yes, feel free to charge me that extra $5 a month, but then I hope you don't hold it against me if I feel free to cancel my subscription if you fail to deliver on the "quality, interpersonal, and immersive environment" that is the ever growing standard for the industry.

That's kind of a loaded question really. IF the game holds true to the path it seems to be heading with all that is planned for it as far as housing, the classes, wyr, directional aoe spells, quests, graphics, etc., then I would be willing to pay the usual 50.00 USD for the game, and 20.00 USD/month for the subscription. But if there is tiered pricing and ticketed events, then Im not paying either one. If I wanted either of those, I would play EQ2, which I don't.

I am with Eve on this one.

And to back it up with as much fact as I am able to find/contribute:
I looked on MSN. 16 of those online were people I'd met whilst playing MMOs, from Horizons through to EQ2. So I did a pop quiz. (Conference calling a bunch of people who don't know each other, or people I'd not spoken to in months, and then quizzing them produces some very humorous conversations haha).

*7 are only paying for one sub to a game (the majority is WoW...).
*6 are paying for two (mostly WoW, EVE and/or EQ2).
*2 are paying for three
*1 is paying for four

*7 responded from "No" to "No ******* way!" to the question of whether they'd play a tiered pricing game. (I just asked them the question, no backup story to it or mention of this thread, so personal opinions and preconceptions dominated, which is exactly what Simu would be up against). That was just play.
*Of the other 9, 3 were undecided in a "Wait to see what the game is like" way.
*4 would be happy to drop all their subs and pay the same amount for one really, really good game.
*2 (the DragonRealm players haha) would be perfectly happy to pay the extra on top of what they're playing/paying.

(On topic here!!)
*When asked what the maximum they'd pay per month was:
<or=$15 - 6
$15-20 - 5
$20-30 - 1
$30-50 - 3
$50+ - 1
*I asked the 11 who voted <$15 to $20, "Same as what you currently pay?"
all said "Yes, or a bit more" or words to that effect.

Now, that's just the 16 people I knew to play MMOs who were online at the time. The majority are Australians and Europeans too, for clarification.

We can all debate with our own assumptions, which is all we're doing, ALL of us :P, and one of the only ways we can come to any sort of conclusions on this matter is if people do the same thing as above, ask anyone they know who play games the same questions I listed.
Then we tally the results.

Hell, it'd give us something to do while passing the time til HJ comes out anyways! :P
-----------------------------------------
Stado said:
Heck, I'd be willing to pay $100 for a collector's edition of HJ, well, so long as there was an actual difference. It doesn't even have to have some in-game tangibility. Give me a few goodies, the odd behind-the-making DVD, and an art book and I'll be happy with spending nearly twice as much for a collectors edition.

Oh yeah! Like the Guild Wars Factions CE:

Full colour map
GW poster
'Glorious Guild Wars Factions' Art Book (which is gawd dern amazing btw)
Ritualist (class) cloth picture
Guild Wars Factions desk calendar
Guild Wars Factions mouse mat
Assassin (class) sticker
Jeremy Sould GW Factions sountrack
In-game /emote dance

all in one big heavy box.
Hell, the Art Book alone is enough to buy the GW Factions CE. If Simu did something like this for HJ, include a beautiful book of concept art etc, I'd have no problems paying +50% of the standard box price or whatever.

(As it happens, the GW Factions CE was only $8 more expensive than the standard box when I got it).

While we support everyone's right to their own opinion, we do not want the Hero's Hall forums to degrade to flame wars and name calling.

Please, if you are going to express your opinion do not make fun of another person's and do not make fun of another person in general. If you do not like our policies, we apologize, but we like to keep the environment as friendly as possible.

As long as the thread stays friendly it will not be locked.

Arremus said:
Oh yeah! Like the Guild Wars Factions CE:

Full colour map
GW poster
'Glorious Guild Wars Factions' Art Book (which is gawd dern amazing btw)
Ritualist (class) cloth picture
Guild Wars Factions desk calendar
Guild Wars Factions mouse mat
Assassin (class) sticker
Jeremy Sould GW Factions sountrack
In-game /emote dance

all in one big heavy box.
Hell, the Art Book alone is enough to buy the GW Factions CE. If Simu did something like this for HJ, include a beautiful book of concept art etc, I'd have no problems paying +50% of the standard box price or whatever.

(As it happens, the GW Factions CE was only $8 more expensive than the standard box when I got it).

That brings up another example. I have all 3 LoTR DVDs. I waited for the extended versions but did not purchase the delux package with the bookends etc.

Now, I don't feel the least bit cheated that other got more if they paid more, why should I feel that way with a game?

You're talking about two very different things (although I'm anticipating an objection to that comment) when regarding what you get in a box with the CE as opposed to what you get IN-game for paying extra money.

If the maximum you can pay is $75 which means you get to have a faster mount, more storage, and live in the "rich" district of town, well then I would venture you'll be turning more potential customers away than you would attract.

If someone gets to talk about the funky Archer minature they got for buying the CE, people will probably say "Cool, take a pic and post it!" or something. That minature is effectively completely different from the game itself.

Look, I'm just saying what I believe the average person would think.
The best way would be to start a poll in the mmorpg.com General section, asking what people would choose to pay (in fact I might just go do that), because of all communities, that community seems to have all the extremes of gamer types.

Arremus said:
If the maximum you can pay is $75 which means you get to have a faster mount, more storage, and live in the "rich" district of town, well then I would venture you'll be turning more potential customers away than you would attract.

If someone gets to talk about the funky Archer minature they got for buying the CE, people will probably say "Cool, take a pic and post it!" or something. That minature is effectively completely different from the game itself.

Look, I'm just saying what I believe the average person would think.
The best way would be to start a poll in the mmorpg.com General section, asking what people would choose to pay (in fact I might just go do that), because of all communities, that community seems to have all the extremes of gamer types.

Actually what I would want for the higher rate is a higher ratio of GM controlled NPCs to PCs.

I would agree about the poll but I have never been average.

There is an option in everyone's User Control Panel to 'Edit' their signature. You can place any text there that you'd like.

My suggestion to the forum members is that each simply place their vote, as simply as possible, whether they would or would not support tiered pricing and be done with it.

Example below.

Either that, or go visit this page:
http://mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/879617#879617

I hope you don't mind Frosty for the external link, but it is mmorpg.com hehe.

As a quick overview, I didn't realise you could post more than one poll per thread there, so I kind of rushed the second post/poll to get it on there before someone else posted something, SO... if it looks like there was an option missing please write as much on the thread.

Arremus said:
Look, I'm just saying what I believe the average person would think.The best way would be to start a poll in the mmorpg.com General section, asking what people would choose to pay (in fact I might just go do that), because of all communities, that community seems to have all the extremes of gamer types.

You wont get the "Average Person" with a poll on MMORPG, nor the average gamer. You'll also have a hard time getting the truth when it comes to money. People cant help but think in the back of their mind, if I tell them the real number the games companies will know and raise their prices. Then you have folks like Jaraeth, (only using you in the example because you did this J) who do things like, "My MAX is =$20" .... "Oh well Vanguard might charge $25, so my MAX is now $25". What ever number they tell you on some poll is neither here nor their, it's all about the value they percieve and you can't give that an honest number without seeing the product.

I think I would pay alot of money for a holodeck, but I really wont know until someone makes them and I can give it a try.

I'd like to see you add the choice, "It depends on the value I perceive in the game".

S.

I have added a pole to the thread to let the OP actually guage what people would be willing to pay. It won't show who voted what just gives a number.

Their is a pole currently located on the tiered pricing thread that covers the Tier pricing concept.

You can visit the link Here

cordy said:
I have added a pole to the thread to let the OP actually guage what people would be willing to pay. It won't show who voted what just gives a number.

Their is a pole currently located on the tiered pricing thread that covers the Tier pricing concept.

You can visit the link Here

Your poll is a little unclear. For ONE game or for your gaming habit, per month?

S.

Can you change the text color for the "number of voters You have already voted in this poll" message. That was a challenge to read.

Being canadian, i will already be paying a tad more, i really only expect to pay the usual amount inline with games today, 15 dollars a month.

I already planned on passing on all that tiered pricing, hearing that older simu games had prices that fanned up to 40 dollars a month. I will gladly pass on thhings like that. I would pay 15 bucks amonth with the ability to choose paying up to 1,3,6, or 12 months ahead.

deserttfoxx said:
Being canadian, i will already be paying a tad more, i really only expect to pay the usual amount inline with games today, 15 dollars a month.

I already planned on passing on all that tiered pricing, hearing that older simu games had prices that fanned up to 40 dollars a month. I will gladly pass on thhings like that. I would pay 15 bucks amonth with the ability to choose paying up to 1,3,6, or 12 months ahead.

I'll buy you what ever you need from the premi merchants at 0% markup. Now if you Canadians would secede already and become official states of our great Union (Qubec need not apply) we could help you on the pricing as well. :P

S.
-----------------------------------------
tasoli said:
While we support everyone's right to their own opinion, we do not want the Hero's Hall forums to degrade to flame wars and name calling.

Please, if you are going to express your opinion do not make fun of another person's and do not make fun of another person in general. If you do not like our policies, we apologize, but we like to keep the environment as friendly as possible.

As long as the thread stays friendly it will not be locked.

Awwwww. My reply to him was funny and only poked fun at myself, with all them big words I like. I was looking forward to seeing Sylvado school him too. :(

S.

Sylvado said:
Can you change the text color for the "number of voters You have already voted in this poll" message. That was a challenge to read.
Not possible from my end of things. Its viewed the same as number of views and posts on the forum index.

Also do you have this problem with all the other polls, since this one is no different, if so just post the problem Here

Back