What is your freak flag?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Lately I have noticed an increase in people online where they say & act one way in public but entirely differently in private. In the real world it would be said that the person is giving in to peer pressure but there is no reason for that online, at any age.

Yes, what you write online is out there forever in one form or another, and that embarrassing video clip of you falling down has been seen all over the world, but it should be you that the world sees, not what you think they should see. Do not try to be a tough guy in a public comments section and then write a private message to the same person saying that you were just kidding. If you are gamer do not say in public that you really don't play games much but then go home every night and stay up playing on your console. You are a gamer, that is who you are. If you are into sci-fi, or horror, or fantasy, then speak up and say so. Just because somebody else online that you are talking to is not into that kind of stuff does not mean that you shouldn't be. If you're into sports & like to read Harry Potter but don't want to admit that on a sport site then find a Harry Potter fan site and they would love to talk to you about it there. Religious or athiest, gay or straight, young or old, black or white... it doesn't matter because there are other people out there who will accept you as you are, not as you think you should be.

The internet is a pretty big place and, no matter what you are into, you are not alone. There are communities out there for everyone, from the person who likes to crochet sweaters for their dog to the person who likes to collect sports cars.

Over the years that I have been online, since the early 1980's (I know, I know, at my age I am ancient by internet time), I have made a lot friends from around the world. Now some of you who know me really well might kid and say that I get along with all of those people because they are sci-fi geeks like me :P but the reality is that most of them aren't even into that genre. I get along with them because they are who they are, both in private and in public for the all the world to see. If you are a good person at heart then that will come through.

Which brings us to your freak flag. ;)

For those of you old enough to have been around in the 60's & 70's, or happen to be into some great music, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young sung...
Almost cut my hair
It happened just the other day, it's gettin' kinda long
I could-a said, "It wasn't in my way"
But I didn't and I wonder why
I feel like letting my freak flag fly
Yes I feel like, I owe it to someone
For them it was their long hair that spoke of whom they were at the time. It was their true self, something that they could proudly say was theirs. It was them... it was their freak flag that they flew. For some, long hair & jeans is still their freak flag, for others it is retro 80's arcade t-shirts, for some it may be finding that perfect costume for a cosplay convention, or it is something a small & barely noticeable but still viewable to the world.

There is no reason why online you shouldn't be proud to fly your freak flag as well. Whatever it may be, just be you.

Back