What musical instrument do you play?

does n e 1 play the flute? is it easy to play? b/c i need a band instrument techncially...n the piano is for the orchestra...really stupid.

aliasjgfanaticmv said:
Mine are gold and black..fun fun...but it's better then my MS's colors, black and white :rolleyes: real originality there.
oooohhhh...black and white are pretty school colors...better than yellow and green (yuck), which are my future school's colors...and their mascot is a gaucho...wth is a gaucho? what are your school mascots? my current school's mascot is a dolphin tho

Marlene said:
does n e 1 play the flute? is it easy to play? b/c i need a band instrument techncially...n the piano is for the orchestra...really stupid.
i play the flute! have been for eight years, i also play the piccolo and the piano!(and sing!:whistle:) and i forget how i was when i started, the basic notes(b, c, d) are very easy to get but there are others that are harder to get at that im even struggling with(extremly high c!i hate that note!hehe!) but then you also have to figure in tone quality and vibrato and where are the other ppl in your school, but if you want to try it, i say go for it! i love it(of course why else would i play it for so long!) i would go for it and if you dont like then at least you tried!good luck! if you need help picking out a make, im here!

alias_fan said:
nance said:
I used to play the piano but i hated it! I always got sooo frustrated so i quit!
aww you can't hate the piano! i play the piano and i have this sweet as ever piano teacher and i just LOVE taking!

i have beatles sheet music kate
it was so annoying!! i never got the right key so i just banged as hard as i could!!!

I play the flute... and it may look kind of easy to play, but really it's not. No band instrument is really (except maybe the chimes or something). Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE the flute and I think everyone should play it. And since you already know how to read music (I'm assuming, since you play piano...), you have a big advantage there.

And I HATED my band instructor in middle school. He was such a jerk... he'd throw things and swear all the time. In 8th grade and HS, my band conductor was AWESOME! We called him Peaches, and he's the one who convinced my parents to buy me a piccolo, and then in 9th grade, he let me be the only freshman who played 1st flute and I was a piccolo alternate... and there were 30 flutes in the band! And then I moved and my new instructor was icky too. He had a stick up his... yeah.

Existentialist said:

I play the flute... and it may look kind of easy to play, but really it's not. No band instrument is really (except maybe the chimes or something). Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE the flute and I think everyone should play it. And since you already know how to read music (I'm assuming, since you play piano...), you have a big advantage there.

And I HATED my band instructor in middle school. He was such a jerk... he'd throw things and swear all the time. In 8th grade and HS, my band conductor was AWESOME! We called him Peaches, and he's the one who convinced my parents to buy me a piccolo, and then in 9th grade, he let me be the only freshman who played 1st flute and I was a piccolo alternate... and there were 30 flutes in the band! And then I moved and my new instructor was icky too. He had a stick up his... yeah.
she is right, i forgot when i difficult it was when i started becuase now im doing thirty second notes and runs out the wazoo!LOL!!but yes i think chimes are the easiest things in the band...!lol, do you still play piccolo, i am playing it in band right now and i have to get up to a high high B flat on it and im like, hello! do you want me to knock out everyone's ears, not just from the shrillness but does he know how hard it is to tune that note!LOL
and have you heard the joke
How do you tune two piccolos?
you shoot one!LOL!!! :P

well my class colors are this sort of solid blue and solid silver. its really really cool. ohhh and im performing at my graduation which is on Thursday. so wish me luck please.

timmy :blink:

you shoot one!LOL!!! 

Yup yup, I've heard that one! :lol: And yeah, I still play piccolo, though mostly on my own. I have a few piccolo solo pieces, but I lost my ear plugs and I'm too lazy to go buy some more and I'll damage my eardrums more if I play without them, so I don't play much. But have you heard about the rule where you should practice your flute 2 hours for every half hour you practice piccolo? Or something like that. Piccolo is great fun though... especially when you're way above the staff. Have you played the piccolo part for the Star Spangled Banner? Oy... it nearly gave me a heart attack. :blink:

And yes, I love runs and thirty second notes and all that. For a band piece that has a LOT of all that, try the original Lord of the Rings symphony... we played that last year and man, that was a lot of notes! It's about a 40 min. piece, with 5 movements... it seriously takes your breath away.

Oh, and my second HS colors were blue and gold. My first HS colors were black and red... I liked them.

Existentialist said:
you shoot one!LOL!!! 

Yup yup, I've heard that one! :lol: And yeah, I still play piccolo, though mostly on my own. I have a few piccolo solo pieces, but I lost my ear plugs and I'm too lazy to go buy some more and I'll damage my eardrums more if I play without them, so I don't play much. But have you heard about the rule where you should practice your flute 2 hours for every half hour you practice piccolo? Or something like that. Piccolo is great fun though... especially when you're way above the staff. Have you played the piccolo part for the Star Spangled Banner? Oy... it nearly gave me a heart attack. :blink:

And yes, I love runs and thirty second notes and all that. For a band piece that has a LOT of all that, try the original Lord of the Rings symphony... we played that last year and man, that was a lot of notes! It's about a 40 min. piece, with 5 movements... it seriously takes your breath away.

Oh, and my second HS colors were blue and gold. My first HS colors were black and red... I liked them.
lol, ear plugs!very handy! and did you mean stars and stripes forever, becuase if we did thats what we are playing now and that pic part is just insane!! and there are not only one or two piccs but six! SIX ON PICC!!!!thats insane, we practiced it the other day in front of the band and afterwards they were..."ooo my!ow!"LOL!but yes that is a tough one but its fun now! after i got the hang of it! and lord of the rings would be fun but we are a high school band and i dont think my band could handle a song 40 min long.
have you ever played America by Ives? we played that this year and that one flute part where its three lines of flute run! :blink: LOL!that was .....fun!HA! but i hated the middle part right after that, its sounded like the ballet of oklahoma where the nightmare sets in!HA!
and i have never heard that rule! hmmm...i go against that!i practice picc for half then flute for one... ^_^

lol, ear plugs!very handy! and did you mean stars and stripes forever, becuase if we did thats what we are playing now and that pic part is just insane!! and there are not only one or two piccs but six! SIX ON PICC!!!!thats insane, we practiced it the other day in front of the band and afterwards they were..."ooo my!ow!"LOL!but yes that is a tough one but its fun now! after i got the hang of it! and lord of the rings would be fun but we are a high school band and i dont think my band could handle a song 40 min long.
have you ever played America by Ives? we played that this year and that one flute part where its three lines of flute run!  LOL!that was .....fun!HA! but i hated the middle part right after that, its sounded like the ballet of oklahoma where the nightmare sets in!HA!
and i have never heard that rule! hmmm...i go against that!i practice picc for half then flute for one... 

Yeah, Stars and Stripes Forever, that's what it is! Yeah, the piccolo part was crazy! We had one piccolo on the part... this senior girl, and my conductor made me the "understudy". Of course, she got sick the night of the concert. And guess who had to suffer through it? Yep. But it was fun. LoL 6 piccolos! That is insane!!

And nope, haven't played America by Ives... I don't think. I've played so many things, it's hard to keep track! Last year, one of the songs we played on tour was Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral from Lohengrin, by Wagner. Painful song to play just 'cause it's slow and there isn't really anyplace to take a good long breath, but so beautiful when played right. We made the conductor cry. It was cool.

making the conductor cry is always fun!!LOL!! but yes i know six of us!its crazy but he wants the "nice picc sound of what its meant to have" but..i doubt its meant to kill someone!!HAHA! oh well!

nance said:
alias_fan said:
nance said:
I used to play the piano but i hated it! I always got sooo frustrated so i quit!
aww you can't hate the piano! i play the piano and i have this sweet as ever piano teacher and i just LOVE taking!

it was so annoying!! i never got the right key so i just banged as hard as i could!!!
when i was three i made up a song. that's all of my piano talent right there.

my song lyrics: (i am NOT kidding)

come kitty
come kitty
come to me
come to me

wasn't i a special child? :lol:

nance said:
alias_fan said:
nance said:

ugh! I hate the piano! I STILL have to play!! arrrrgh!!!!! It's just sooo not fair!!!! I mean, people say I play well, but grrrr I just HATE IT! okok, enough venting... :lol:

aliasjgfanaticmv said:
nance said:
alias_fan said:
nance said:

ugh! I hate the piano! I STILL have to play!! arrrrgh!!!!! It's just sooo not fair!!!! I mean, people say I play well, but grrrr I just HATE IT! okok, enough venting... :lol:
go vent in the VENT forum! isn't that clever of me? :lol:

Back