What past if any MMO's have you played?

EQ starting with Ruins of Kunark
SWG
EQ II most recently (2 month)

My longevity has been offset by lack of computer savy, outdated equipment and the amount of time I spent in my early days of EQ looking for my body. :smiley:

I am looking forward to being in on the begining of HJ.

Originally posted by Volfie@Mar 4 2006, 08:59 PM
EQ starting with Ruins of Kunark
SWG
EQ II most recently (2 month)

My longevity has been offset by lack of computer savy, outdated equipment and the amount of time I spent in my early days of EQ looking for my body. :smiley:

I am looking forward to being in on the begining of HJ.
I've talked to the developers about corpse runs, and the such. I don't believe they will be implemented so no worries on that with Hero's Journey! Also, outdated equipment, it would be wise to upgrade your computer soon. You can actually build a really cheap computer now on Newegg – Shopping Upgraded , so you might want to try that one out.

I think you'll notice a huge difference in the amount of fun from EQ2 ---> HJ from what I'm reading about.

you don't need a super great computer, but an upgrade would probably be a good idea..

I had to upgrade this one.. I've pretty much completely replaced everything except the hard drive, the cd burner, and the dvd drive.. oh and the case..

It now has 3.2 ghz HT P4
1.5 gb ram pc3200
geforce 6800gs 256 mb gddr3 (I bought this one because it has 4 unlockable pixel pipelines and 1 unlockable vertex shader, but I haven't done it yet.. going to look into it more before I decide to or not)
gigabyte motherboard.. the case is micro atx, and I was pretty much broke at that point, but it works really good..
couple of fans
antec 400w power supply

And I think that's it.. but it's waaay better than that celeron was. yuck.

I don't think you'll need a computer quite this good, although a good video card is probably a good idea..

and I guarantee you'll spend at least a couple of hours in the character creator.. I took about four or five the first time I used it, to look at everything.. and I'm sure they'll add more before the game goes live..

edit: I know my computer isn't the best, but when I win the lottery I have plans to build an AMD with an Athlon 64 FX-60 (those damn things go for about 1,200 bucks! Damn them! but someday I'll do it.. also waiting for AMD to go to DDR2..)

Originally posted by HJ-Diviana@Mar 5 2006, 10:54 PM
I don't think you'll need a computer quite this good, although a good video card is probably a good idea..
Try out www.newegg.com for cheap video cards. I bought a 6600GU for $140, and it handles most games now on high including CS:Source which in my opinon is graphicaly intense game. Although there are a few other sites like www.tigerdirect.com I would still suggest newegg.com

I've tried alot of different MMORPGS.

The list in no particular order:

Anarchy Online
Asheron's Call 1 and 2
Auto Assault (Beta only)
City of Heroes/Villains
Dark Age of Camelot
Dofus
Dungeons & Dragons Online (Beta only)
Eve Online
Everquest 1 and 2
Final Fantasy XI
Guild Wars
Horizons
Irth Online (Beta only)
Jumpgate
Lineage 2
Motor City Online
Neocron
Ragnarok Online
Shadowbane
Star Wars Galaxies
The Matrix Online
The Saga of Ryzom
Ultima Online
World of Warcraft

Originally posted by HJ-Diviana@Mar 5 2006, 10:54 PM
and I guarantee you'll spend at least a couple of hours in the character creator.. I took about four or five the first time I used it, to look at everything.. and I'm sure they'll add more before the game goes live..
Wow, four or five hours sounds like one hell of a character creator. Now I can't wait even more ;)

Originally posted by Aries+Mar 6 2006, 05:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aries @ Mar 6 2006, 05:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HJ-Diviana@Mar 5 2006, 10:54 PM
Wow, four or five hours sounds like one hell of a character creator. Now I can't wait even more ;) [/b][/quote]
I can't wait to see the log-in screen...

lol, i cant wait to spend a whole day just creating my character... do you think they will allow you to change the appearance of your armor later on in the game? just for reasons of not getting bored with your look is all.

Originally posted by larkonits@Mar 7 2006, 12:48 PM
lol, i cant wait to spend a whole day just creating my character... do you think they will allow you to change the appearance of your armor later on in the game? just for reasons of not getting bored with your look is all.
I think someone already said on the boards that it will be possible.

I remember reading one of the GM's saying that Melissa changes her outfit so
often ingame that they can barely recognize her.

Originally posted by larkonits@Mar 7 2006, 12:48 PM
You will have the ability to have "outfits" which you build on your character.

This will allow you to switch your dress very easily. For battle you wear a bronze breastplate, golden greaves, and a spired helm. That would look a little strange if you walked into dinner with friends. So before hand you quickly change into your "casual" outfit .. consisting of a green tunic, leather sandals, and a black cape.

With the item and clothing crafting, this also leads to the ability to have tailored outfits for certain tasks </hint>

And yes .. Melissa is constantly changing outfits.

Originally posted by HJ-Cirakin@Mar 7 2006, 08:24 PM
With the item and clothing crafting, this also leads to the ability to have tailored outfits for certain tasks </hint>
HMMMMmmmmHMMMmhmhMHMMhmmm ;)

Lets see, I've had a short but painful journey before finally discovering this dream game.

Started with Ragnarok, soon got into FFXI. Played FFXI for almost 6 months (longest I've played any mmo so far). Tried out a crapload of freebie korean mmos, including but not limited to ROSE, Silk Road, Gunz... nothing could keep my interest for more than a month. Played Guild Wars for a month or so. Recently got hyped for DDO, only to discover its a poor excuse for a mmo, not to mention the real PnP. Now I'm hyped for this game, as a true roleplaying game. I have a good feeling this won't flop like DDO either. :smiley:

Lets see... Shattered Galaxy, Planetside, World of Warcraft... Everquest... Boundless planet, Risk Your Life 2. GunZOnline, JGunZ... SO MANY... Raycrash, Phantasy Star Online... Anarchy Online, Knight Online, Martial Heroes, Mu Online, Project Entropia, Wurm Online, Rakion... Thang Online... World of Pirates... Ballerium, Face of Mankind, Mankind... Darkspace... I think that's it...

OH WAIT, Soldat... that game pwns.

Keep in mind I'm an RPG jumper... I play 4-5 at a time, lol... But I have a feeling this will be like when I started Planetside and World of Warcraft, In which time they were all I played.

Hell... I'll prolly spend a day making my character when/if I ever get my hands on a copy of HJ.

First off, nice to see some new people on the forums, so welcome Volund, and Apollo.

Lets start with Apollo first.... I never tried Planetside was it any good? I've always wanted to try a FPS MMORPG, but never wanted to pay. I also played WoW, EQ, RYL2 (which I actually enjoyed), and Rakion.

You might want to chck out www.gunzfactor.com they are part of our network as well for Gunz if you ever wanted to get back into that game.

Now for Volund. What FFXI server did you play on? I played on Ragnarok, I got a level 36whm/blm.. a 20rdm, 18brd, and 12 war. I didn't really enjoy the game all too much as you can tell ;)

Oh man. Its been so long since I played FFXI, I had to ask a friend what server I was on (yes, I have a buddy who's been playing that game for about 3 years now). I was on Titan server. To keep up my interest, I kept on deleting and making new characters. The only ones that really leveled were an elvaan - 25war, 15 monk. A hume - 15 war. A taru - 18 war, 6 rdm. I enjoyed the game for quite some time, I suppose most people are like that with their first mmos though. I loved the social interaction in the game, but the party wait and horrid player market is what killed it for me. I think the most amusing thing was the language barrier. I played with a bunch of japanese groups, and we'd communicate through macros and stuff. That was amusing.

As sad as it is, I was actually considering returning to FFXI. Its like smoking - you know its bad for you, its expensive as heck, yet you keep coming back for more O.o I think the only thing thats stopping me is my new internet connection. Only game it has a problem with is FFXI.

As for Gunz, I don't think I could ever get back into the game, unless they released a slew of new content. I get jelous everytime I look at the korean screenshots *waves fist at korea*.

i have played
ascherons call (awesome open ended game, powerful characters)
dark age of camelot (awesome game, didnt age well though)
ac2 (fun game, no content)
shadowbane (awesome game, poor development)
star ware galaxies (for 1 month, horrible game)
final fantasy 11 (good PvE gamepy, but no character uniqueness and no pvp)
lineage 2 (horrible game designs, insane grind, little content)
WoW (1-59 is really fun, but 60 is when all the flaws show themselves)

i like skill based games over class based. i also like pvp, with goals and depth that can keep someone playing for a long time in the end game.

Ooh ooh, I'll do an illustrated post (I don't really do pixel art as a matter of habit, but they are small and don't bloat threads, so they'll work for this).

Half-elf ranger (who refused to do archery and mostly fought with quarterstaves) in EQ for about 4 years:

grouppicture_foxeye.gif

Orc Raider in Lineage 2 (about half a year):

uuurha_red.gif

Iksar templar in EQII (3 months, bleh):

gift11_1.gif

And that's all I have pictures for :P

Also tried CoH, Horizons, and Guild Wars.

Current games I'm watching:

Heroes Journey
Vanguard
Age of Conan

I suspect that all of the above have their place in the genre, it's just a matter of which one I end up having more time for and which appeals to me. I don't expect to be able to figure that out by looking at screenshots and reading about the game...you always have to actually play it. But right now my money is on Heroes Journey, and I suspect the same is true for my husband.

(I have to admit, Vanguard gets major points for having a fox-race. I'm a fox enthusiast, not a cat-enthusiast, but for all I know I might be able to make a bushy-tailed, red-furred Suwari and fake it, heh).

Planetside rocks, I still play it every once in a while. It has balance issues.

Personally, I think the Terran Republic (Black and Red dudes with high rate-of-fire weaponry) are the easiest to play. I made a video of me fooling around on my Terran.

However, I mainly play my Vanu Sovreignty (Purple and Green dudes with Hover tech and energy weapons) characters. I have two, both of which are Battle Rank 23 (Basically level 23, the max is 25), and Command Rank 4 (max is 5).

There's another team I don't like at all, the New Conglomerate (Blue and Yellow dudes with heavy-hitting weaponry)

I used to play all the time, but some new vehicles called BFRs, which stands for battleframe-robotics (Or Big friggin' robots, if you wanna make it simple) were released. Basically, they're huge mechs with shields that are hard to penetrate. I tried soloing them, and got good at it until I took a 6 month break. I just cant stand fighting and being blown away by mechs now.

Overall, good game.

Oh yeah, I still play GunZ, [-]Apollo[-], server 3, clan Courage. Swordfighter mainly, I hate gunfights.

Originally posted by Apollo@Mar 10 2006, 09:56 PM
Planetside rocks, I still play it every once in a while. It has balance issues.

Personally, I think the Terran Republic (Black and Red dudes with high rate-of-fire weaponry) are the easiest to play. I made a video of me fooling around on my Terran.

However, I mainly play my Vanu Sovreignty (Purple and Green dudes with Hover tech and energy weapons) characters. I have two, both of which are Battle Rank 23 (Basically level 23, the max is 25), and Command Rank 4 (max is 5).

There's another team I don't like at all, the New Conglomerate (Blue and Yellow dudes with heavy-hitting weaponry)

I used to play all the time, but some new vehicles called BFRs, which stands for battleframe-robotics (Or Big friggin' robots, if you wanna make it simple) were released. Basically, they're huge mechs with shields that are hard to penetrate. I tried soloing them, and got good at it until I took a 6 month break. I just cant stand fighting and being blown away by mechs now.

Overall, good game.

Oh yeah, I still play GunZ, [-]Apollo[-], server 3, clan Courage. Swordfighter mainly, I hate gunfights.
Awsome! I might have to try out Planetside now to see how it is. Always worth seeing if something can pass by my time. Also don't forget about Gunzfactor.com is for sale | HugeDomains make sure that you use that for all of your resources for Gunz!