What Race and Class combo are you planning on?

Originally posted by Ocius@Mar 2 2006, 03:35 PM
Necromancer/Bard all the way. Stoneborn are just too bad ass. I mean hell, you have Nocturnal, but one bard just isnt enough as far as im concered (Daoc).
I don't think one bard was enough in any game. In EQ2, I loved having two bards, and in FFXI it was AMAZING to have 2 bards, a white mage, a warrior, and then 2 black mages. The damage was insane, and you could chain mobs fairly easy.

Originally posted by frostydf2+Mar 2 2006, 08:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frostydf2 @ Mar 2 2006, 08:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ocius@Mar 2 2006, 03:35 PM
Necromancer/Bard all the way. Stoneborn are just too bad ass. I mean hell, you have Nocturnal, but one bard just isnt enough as far as im concered (Daoc).
I don't think one bard was enough in any game. In EQ2, I loved having two bards, and in FFXI it was AMAZING to have 2 bards, a white mage, a warrior, and then 2 black mages. The damage was insane, and you could chain mobs fairly easy. [/b][/quote]
really i dont think i could decide completely right now since i dont know exactly what the classes are going to be doing. i mean some are self explainitory like clerics and wizards and warriors and such. i more then likely would go wizard as primary but when it comes to secondary i would, of course, pick one that would compliment or work best for my playstyle with my primary class.

Originally posted by Nocturnal@Mar 1 2006, 10:57 PM
I think it would be a good idea if they try to balance the classes as combos, rather than each individually. It discouraged people from certain combos in GW and made others stronger than intented, perhaps.

It'd also be cool if they added special skills that only certain combinations could use, rather than just mix-match them from each base class. Say for instance... a buff only the warrior/cleric could recieve that gives him a chance to proc a group/self heal in melee combat. That's a boring example, but I'm sure everyone gets the idea.
I like the combo idea in the form of-

Necromancer spell Raise Shade:
Gives you a invisible buddy to run doing your bidding. Can't do anything but scout.
BUT if you're also a wizard, your shades are imbued with an element, so maybe a fire shade can flare up to signal someone at low levels, or do some damage at high levels. A ranger necro's shade will be better at tracking, a healer necro's shade can be made to combust by introducing a conflicting healing elemnt to its nature, sending out some small amount of here-unspecified chaos.
Necromancer spell Raise Grunt:
Raise the corpse of a fallen being, which will of course be barely sentient and only somewhat useful in combat... but your other class will influence what kind of skills the corpse retains- it's magic, its melee skills, its knack for archery, etc.

The overall idea being everyone gets all the spells for their classes, but the specific combinations add additional abilities.

Of course there would be some great ideas for spells available only to a specific combo class- A Necromancer wizard would be able to do a corpse explosion reminiscent of diablo 2, a necromancer warrior could imbue his blade with the life force of the enemies it slays. (A necromancer paladin would of course have to own a sword called Frostmourne, and incessantly proclaim that it hungers.)

Unfortunately, with 30-some class combos available, it would be tough to code more than two or three interesting abilities specifically for each combination.

Originally posted by GOAT@Mar 4 2006, 07:10 AM
Unfortunately, with 30-some class combos available, it would be tough to code more than two or three interesting abilities specifically for each combination.
thats why it would be great to just add one special ability for your combo that no one else gets but the characters that have the same class choices as you do

Originally posted by GOAT+Mar 4 2006, 07:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GOAT @ Mar 4 2006, 07:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nocturnal@Mar 1 2006, 10:57 PM
I think it would be a good idea if they try to balance the classes as combos, rather than each individually. It discouraged people from certain combos in GW and made others stronger than intented, perhaps.

It'd also be cool if they added special skills that only certain combinations could use, rather than just mix-match them from each base class. Say for instance... a buff only the warrior/cleric could recieve that gives him a chance to proc a group/self heal in melee combat. That's a boring example, but I'm sure everyone gets the idea.
I like the combo idea in the form of-

Necromancer spell Raise Shade:
Gives you a invisible buddy to run doing your bidding. Can't do anything but scout.
BUT if you're also a wizard, your shades are imbued with an element, so maybe a fire shade can flare up to signal someone at low levels, or do some damage at high levels. A ranger necro's shade will be better at tracking, a healer necro's shade can be made to combust by introducing a conflicting healing elemnt to its nature, sending out some small amount of here-unspecified chaos.
Necromancer spell Raise Grunt:
Raise the corpse of a fallen being, which will of course be barely sentient and only somewhat useful in combat... but your other class will influence what kind of skills the corpse retains- it's magic, its melee skills, its knack for archery, etc.

The overall idea being everyone gets all the spells for their classes, but the specific combinations add additional abilities.

Of course there would be some great ideas for spells available only to a specific combo class- A Necromancer wizard would be able to do a corpse explosion reminiscent of diablo 2, a necromancer warrior could imbue his blade with the life force of the enemies it slays. (A necromancer paladin would of course have to own a sword called Frostmourne, and incessantly proclaim that it hungers.)

Unfortunately, with 30-some class combos available, it would be tough to code more than two or three interesting abilities specifically for each combination. [/b][/quote]
Goat you just made me have some really great ideas on top of what you said. When you talked about how a shade could scout, quite possibly implement a LOS! One that at night you can see 20yards all around you, but further then that you can't. However, your shade can run off, and raise your LOS by 10yards by running around and illuminating the area around him. It could be balanced, and would add a lot of fun to PvP as you could actually stalk your prey, and hide in the bushes for an ambush!

Now the combination idea about the Necromancers is great! I really enjoyed reading those ideas you were thinking of. I belive Simutronics could come up with balanced class/class combination skills if they really worked at it, and it would bring a lot of diversity to the game!

I looking toward either a Ranger/Necro or a Wizard/Necro. I will see how the Mana pools will be once we get into beta. It would be nice if the Ranger could tame pets like the Hunter in WoW. You would then have a choce between you Natural and Dark Pet with the Ranger/Necro. Of course, they could also give the Wizard Elementals :smiley:

My main character is always a Human warrior type in these games. So I am going to be a Human Warrior/Something, I haven't decided on the secondary class yet. B)

Some combos that I am thinking about for my main character are:
Warrior/Ranger
Warrior/Rogue
Warrior/Necromancer
Warrior/Gearknight

I have no idea what a Gearknight is, besides the fact that they seem to craft strange gear golems, and maybe have some special attacks against enemy gear golems. Still sounds interesting though. I always like the mixture of technology and fantasy in games, like in Final Fantasy which is my favorite console RPG series.

Originally posted by GOAT@Mar 4 2006, 07:10 AM
(A necromancer paladin would of course have to own a sword called Frostmourne, and incessantly proclaim that it hungers.)

Why did Arthas stop at Burger King?

Because Frostmourne Hungers.

Originally posted by Shadow001+Mar 7 2006, 09:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadow001 @ Mar 7 2006, 09:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GOAT@Mar 4 2006, 07:10 AM
(A necromancer paladin would of course have to own a sword called Frostmourne, and incessantly proclaim that it hungers.)

Why did Arthas stop at Burger King?

Because Frostmourne Hungers. [/b][/quote]
I actually laughed at that. Not because of the humor (well slightly), but becuase of how retarded it was, and that only a WC3 player would know that.

For my first character, I think I'll make a human (old blood). For his classes, I'll probably try a warrior/gearknight combo, or a gearknight/warrior. I'm hoping to carry around a nice big 2-handed axe if such a weapon is implemented... man I'm pumped.

20 days since that last post in this thread... anyway, just read the new article at mmorpg.com. Definately gonna go with a warrior/gear knight now.

leaning toward ranger/rogue. played a ranger in dragonrealms. i hated the thieved in dragonrealms. now i get to play both sides! drool...

kickinbama

well its been 11 days since the last post O_O but im thinking of a ranger/warrior for the most melee dmg thinkable and some good HP or maybe a ranger/gearknight because a gearknight is ranged and has a pet and a ranger is ranged so the ranged dmg should be high and a pet to tank the hits :smiley:

Originally posted by Xblood@Apr 9 2006, 10:31 PM
well its been 11 days since the last post O_O but im thinking of a ranger/warrior for the most melee dmg thinkable and some good HP or maybe a ranger/gearknight because a gearknight is ranged and has a pet and a ranger is ranged so the ranged dmg should be high and a pet to tank the hits :smiley:
Beat the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit outta anyone huh? :smiley:

hell yeah you know i told you ima be a legand when i log on people gonna follow me around and be tellin there friend they grouped and did quest with the best Dmg dealer ever

Depending on the set of spells a ranger will get im considering a Ranger/wizard.
But may go more towards a Ranger/cleric if the rangers normal heal spells fall to short of being usefull.Being able to use the ranged attacks of a Ranger plus the spells of a wizard would be ideal for picking things off at long range.

true but rangers are like diffrent in all MMORPGs like in FFXI there for pulling in EQ they get little heals that can help out so depending on what there role is in this ill pick

Back