Horror What scares you?

Jethro

Captain
In one of our wide ranging debates, really need to get around to making podcasts of them, we discussed how horror can take a lot of different forms and more importantly how people react differently to the same movie.

For example Exorcism movies tend to get under my skin, The Exorcist was the first movie to have me really not wanting to watch what happened next, others pointed to Ring, The Blair Witch Project etc.

Once took a chick to a double feature of Never Mind the Bollocks and surprisingly The Howling, not quite sure what those movies have in common, but nevertheless she was absolutely terrified during The Howling to such an extent we had to leave midway through the movie. My wife, who doesn't like horror but dug Shaun of the Dead, The Sixth Sense, can't stand werewolf movies either.

So what gets your pulse running.

Now-a-days, No movie has an impact on me for fear.
Monsters used to scare me as a child, now I find monsters interesting.
When my children were little movies about children in danger got me pulsed up. Now not so much.
Before I started understanding reality spiritual movies like ghosts, possessions and demons got me fretted.
Now I consider them fantasy.
If I had to list movies that get me edgy I would have to say movies about insanity and real life-like situational thrillers but really they are just movies and I see more typicals and stereotypes than anything.

To me - The news is horror. My country's politics are horror. Facebook stupidity is horror.
These are the things that truly send a chill down my spine. Not for personal danger but for the future of my children.

Dune said:
"I will not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

I can honestly say that I have no real fear anymore, not from movies, people or life.
I may be cautious, wary or even surprised but not scared.

I think for the most part I have tried and kind have succeeded in my fears, like heights, still have a slight problem with that one but still working on trying to conquer it completely. The big one still is underground parking/garages. It doesn't help that movies and t.v shows seem to highlight scenes of fear of one walking alone and something bad happening to them. Nope this one is taking me a long time to deal with, sometimes I have no choice but to use them and it just sends me off to want go screaming at some point.

Actual "fears", I'd have to say very little. I credit this to my mother taking me to see the original Alien movie in 1979 and, when you see the chestburster scene at 9 years old, not much tends bother you after. Sure, there are some movies that might surprise me but I can't say it was because of fear. And of course there are times in life where I may tread more carefully than others; those moments are usually when I'm with my wife because a lot of stuff that I don't even think about twice will scare her. For the most part though watching movies, going to "haunted" attractions, and so on, I know they are just actors & props -- seeing most horror stuff I am likely to be concentrating more on how they achieved the effect versus how the effect is affecting me.

Now I did say "very little" and not "none" because there are some things I fear. Anything happening to my wife or dog, for example, makes me be overly protective at times. And, after today, employment is on my mind again because it was announced that next week there'll be another round of layoffs.

Actual "fears", I'd have to say very little. I credit this to my mother taking me to see the original Alien movie in 1979 and, when you see the chestburster scene at 9 years old, not much tends bother you after. Sure, there are some movies that might surprise me but I can't say it was because of fear. And of course there are times in life where I may tread more carefully than others; those moments are usually when I'm with my wife because a lot of stuff that I don't even think about twice will scare her. For the most part thought watching movies, going to "haunted" attractions, and so on, I know they are just actors & props -- seeing most horror stuff I am likely to be concentrating more on how they achieved the effect versus how the effect is affecting me.

Now I did say "very little" and not "none" because there are some things I fear. Anything happening to my wife or dog, for example, makes me be overly protective at times. And, after today, employment is on my mind again because it was announced that next week there'll be another round of layoffs.
Layoffs are common, new president, more hope! Patriot=jobs, and security, globalist=good luck buddy,lol!;););)

In one of our wide ranging debates, really need to get around to making podcasts of them, we discussed how horror can take a lot of different forms and more importantly how people react differently to the same movie.

For example Exorcism movies tend to get under my skin, The Exorcist was the first movie to have me really not wanting to watch what happened next, others pointed to Ring, The Blair Witch Project etc.

Once took a chick to a double feature of Never Mind the Bollocks and surprisingly The Howling, not quite sure what those movies have in common, but nevertheless she was absolutely terrified during The Howling to such an extent we had to leave midway through the movie. My wife, who doesn't like horror but dug Shaun of the Dead, The Sixth Sense, can't stand werewolf movies either.

Scary movies are just that, its the jalepeno of movie watching. Its spicy, you want to stop, but later on you taste and enjoy it in your nachos or a burrito. The Blair witch project was dumb, and lazy. Exercist was gross, The Howling was pretty good, Shaun was funny. Old school 70's horror freaks me out, the screeching violin gets me every time bubba! LOL, Dressed to Kill from the 70's did just that. Old thread.....;);););)

Amityville Horror 1, the film actually keep you wondering what was going on, and it didn't rely on cheesy sfx to gore you to death.
original.png

I think we agree, fear, real fear, lies in not what u see but what u don't. Real fear has depth and age, and real life potential. The omen is scary to me because its English and bleak and the story manipulates old stories. The exorcism of Emily rose is another great example, a proper scary film makes u lay in bed at night and question your relationship with the dark, but to be honest if there were ghost why do they just constantly mooch about in the dark in old houses, and their very good at telling you when your gonna die or what plughole your dead husbands wedding ring is down but not so much Saturdays lottery numbers, and demons and the devil, I just feel that they need to let it go grow up and have a laugh. Aaahh Lucifer really scary possessing kids, hating god....not being funny mate but you need to grow up, apparently you've been stomping about since the birth of creation like a lovelorn teenager, let it go man take a day off!

I think we agree, fear, real fear, lies in not what u see but what u don't. Real fear has depth and age, and real life potential. The omen is scary to me because its English and bleak and the story manipulates old stories. The exorcism of Emily rose is another great example, a proper scary film makes u lay in bed at night and question your relationship with the dark, but to be honest if there were ghost why do they just constantly mooch about in the dark in old houses, and their very good at telling you when your gonna die or what plughole your dead husbands wedding ring is down but not so much Saturdays lottery numbers, and demons and the devil, I just feel that they need to let it go grow up and have a laugh. Aaahh Lucifer really scary possessing kids, hating god....not being funny mate but you need to grow up, apparently you've been stomping about since the birth of creation like a lovelorn teenager, let it go man take a day off!

For me, religious horror is more like a fantasy movie than a horror movie.
See, Faith is always being tested in religious horror.
I grew up in a religious family that supported the invincibility of God thru faith.
Since God is the supreme power, no demon or devil will be able to stand against Him and you are protected by your faith.
Yet every religious horror film shows Lucifer and his domain as a challenge to God? Just doesn't make any sense to me.
Another religious horror staple is the grandiose things that are portrayed. I find them rather stupid. They don't fit the religions.

If I had to pick a type of horror movie that is the closest to horror I would have to say the psychological horrors. Films that portray what real people can do. Whether it be from a theoretical view or a psychological break.
Split (2016) is scary because people with multiple personality disorders actually exist.
The Shining (1980) is scary because people do go mad and kill their families.
Eden Lake (2008) is scary because gangs do exact sadistic harm to people.

Our real world is full of real people with all manor of physiological disorders. Ranging from mild to extreme.
Not all are psychopathic either.
Psychopaths don't scare me as much as sociopaths.

Psychopaths are characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, egotistical traits.

Sociopaths have the ability to function in society so they remain hidden. They are narcissistic and uncaring about other people's feelings. Their empathy is distorted. Serial killers are more likely to be sociopaths than psychopaths because they do function in society. They may have psychopathic tendencies as well.

Those type of horror movies are the scariest to me.
But, they don't scare me because I know its a movie and not real life.
Anyone living with abuse may not be able to make that distinction.

The Blair witch project was pretty lame, any film that doesn't use cgi, is pretty scary, any film pre 1990's. They were using hollywierd props, fake blood and screeching violins. For todays A.d.d kids it would truly be hard to follow, but for us mature gen x and the boomers, that stuff is pretty scary!
3d.gif

The movie Sinister got under my skin the first time I saw it, and Mirrors got to me too.
I've seen Mirrors (Kiefer Sutherland as security guard in an empty building if memory serves right) but not Sinister yet. Is scary in a creepy sort of way or gore?

Last night I watched Still/Born (2017). A baby stealing demon chick flick.
It was creepy as hell. Not for the baby stealing demon but for the descent into madness
related to post-partum depression. Something that can happen to real women.

Still/Born ( 2017 )
Still/Born: Mary, a new mother who lost one of her twins in childbirth. As she struggles with the loss of one of her children, she starts to suspect something sinister is after her surviving child - a supernatural entity that has chosen her child and will stop at nothing to take it from her.
https://images.{...}/thumbs/2809086_StillBorn_1969.jpghttps://www.{...}/images/ribbon_watched.png

Ratings: IMDB: 6.2/10 Metascore: N/A RT: N/A
Released:
October 09, 2017Runtime:87 mins Genres:Horror Thriller Countries:Canada Director:Brandon ChristensenActors:Christie Burke Jenn Griffin Jesse Moss Rebecca Olson Sheila McCarthy

Mirrors 1 & 2 were fun for me.
But...I have watched it with people that get so creeped out from it they get squeemish after watching it to the point they won't look into any mirrors for awhile.
I find that more amusing than the movies.

For awhile, even after a few viewings, Dagon creeped me out.
I have it scheduled for another watch, now years later, to examine the Mermen designs.
I'm wondering if it will still creep me out after all these years.

I watched about 3/4 of the film Headgame (2018) last night.
A bunch of people wake to find themselves locked in a maze with cameras embedded in their foreheads.
The watchers bet on the 'contestants' as they kill each other to be the last remaining soul.

There was nothing interesting about the movie. Same plot with different actors. I watched 3/4 of it just to see if anything original would happen. Nope, shut it off, nothing to see here. 1 of 5 stars. Boring, stupid and uneventful.

It resounds with the trend of using old and busted plots with new young actors on horror movies nowdays.
The art of 'horrified' is losing its inspiration. 8 of 10 new horror films have been done better in the past on the first run plot and execution.

I also watched The Invisible Man (2018) last night.
While I knew it wasn't part of the "Dark Universe" film series, I still imagined this independent film would touch some dark and twisted aspect of The Invisible Man fantasy.
Not only was the acting terrible, the entire plot was a faded whitewash of typical revenge horror and pale at that. No scientific mystery, No amazing graphic effects, No thrilling vengeance. Even as a chickflick it was pale and unremarkable. I was so dissappointed.
All that film is reminds me of a pre-blockbuster mockbuster and it barely resembles that.

The Invisible Man could be a serious horror film. The concept has the potential to set new standards for horror. As a quick reference to its possibilities think the original Hollow Man (2000). Hollow Man touched on the horror capacity of The Invisible Man.

Man....I wanna see something SCARY!

Back