What takes more skill? FPS or RPG?

No question avaiable to import.

• FPS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RPG

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'd say FPS because of the twitch you need. Thats if your talking traditional RPGs ala Might and Magic, Final Fantasy, Etc. However, if your talking MMORPGs I'd say depends on how you play. Some people have it down to an art on getting up there in level in MMO's not to mention those that can keep a group alive under pressure.

FPS=Skilz
MMOs=Brainz

I hate playing FPS vs other players, cause the younger you are the more you kick my ass, lol. I prefer MMOs because I dont have to rely on twitch skilz to keep up with the rest of the group I am with, cause its mostly about tactics, not speed.

Xhar

Originally posted by Xhar@May 29 2006, 06:45 AM
I prefer MMOs because I dont have to rely on twitch skilz to keep up with the rest of the group I am with, cause its mostly about tactics, not speed.

I'm wondering how long this will last though?

A few of the newer MMO's coming out (DDO, Chronicles of Spellborn) have their combat more twitch based. I'm wondering if this could lead to a dominace of Action MMO's ?

I know what you mean, and have been wondering the same myself.

I was in the DDO Beta and very much enjoyed the game, if not the graphics (well, I did hate the "Instance ONLY" xp basis...) Using the combat system to its full extent really shows what a halfling rogue is really capable of in hand to hand combat. Even though you had to keep moving, I would still call that combat system more tactical then twitch, but it does show a progression towards twitch that I would hate to see take over...

Xhar

Twitch is bad. It takes some getting used to, and no matter how good you are, there's some little punk out there who has no life and can own you by shooting you in the right eye with an arrow across the server. Lame.

FPS takes skill, RPG takes nothing but being more powerful than the other guy and zero skill. When you win in RPG pvp you didn't win anything, your character won. that's lame. In FPS, when you win, YOU won, not your toon. I have always resented RPG combat but I understand it is a necessesary evil because of current bandwidth constraints. It comes down to your personal values...if you want your characters power to be more important than your own skills, then RPG combat is for you...if you are like me and you want your own skills to be more important than the power of your toon, then you will be like me and prefer FPS.

But the fact of the matter is both take time. In RPG it takes time to grind your characters level up. In an FPS it takes time to learn the physics and animations of the game well enough to line up your attacks accurately more frequently so you don't miss or get hit as often. Those people that are really good at FPS combat didn't get that good overnight. They practiced hard, I know because I lived it. I still play halflife 2 now. I lose quite bit but I don't mind losing when I know I lost because I had less skills than the other players and not solely because my toon was less powerful. My ideal game would have both skill and power. As you level your toon deals more damage and has more HP but twitch skills determine whether you hit or miss and not those random "to hit chances" that require no skill on the players part. That being said I don't want the RPG combat games to go away because I know that not everyone is as elite with theirs as I am. I realize not everybody has fast hands and eyes like me and they need something that's more their pace. But us RPG loving FPS lovers need some MMORPG love too. so I hope some QUALITY mmorp games that cater to our preferred method of combat come out in the near future.

FPS definitely takes more skill... and my eye/finger coordination is just not there. I don't have instant reaction time and therefore I stink at FPS worse than anyone else I know ;) FPS/Twitch MMO's FTL! hehe

~ Jaraeth

They both take different skills. I don't think one really takes more than another. I am very skilled at getting schooled by 8 year olds in Halo BTW. In an MMO or what have you, you might need to have skill in terms of knowledge of capability and abilities to make the right decision to get you out of a tough spot or something. I think saying an FPS takes more skill than RPG's is like saying it takes more skill than being a novelist. I also don't particularly like the thought that I am unskilled because I always come in last place when playing FPS' against my friends and/or fetuses. I am just unskilled at that activity.

Czi

I think they both take skill, but different kinds of skill. Although the one thing I really dislike about RPG's is that /played is rewared alot more than I think it should be. FPS games reward individual reaction, speed and tactical approach. RPG's reward time invested, knowing how to play your class effectively, group cohession and tactical approach.

Back