Season 5 What the hell and why did this happen?! (Vaughn)

ivand67

Sydney's Lover
First of all, what the hell is it with the writers? Why not come up with something else to write Vartan off the show, why do you have to crush Sydney like this?

I can't believe that he would wanna leave the show, so the only thing that I can think of [edited]. It's my right to voice my opinion about this and if I had to guess, well

I don't think there is a true happy ending to the series anymore! And that sucks.

The show is also coming off its worst and least interesting season ever and there's nothing to suggest that things will get better. At this point, after killing off Vaughn and even after what I thought was a decent premiere episode, there's just no chance for the show to have a great season again, especially not after the pregnancy and the things that are coming (see spoiler below, it's a rather popular spoiler, most people know about this).

(What is up with the spoiler tags they're not working! I'll use YELLOW text).
You know the whole thing with all those LAME new agents and Sydney being the "mentor" for the "new Alias generation" which is total felgercarb *eyeroll* and something that I'm sure will fail. Also, Greg Grunberg is leaving the show which is not that big a deal but it still sucks.
[spoiler tags did not work because of emoticon; changed to text ~ v]

Also, they completely failed to make Nadia someone we care about and I don't know if she's coming back or not but my guess is that she'll be back for a few episodes. Still, it just seems like there's nothing they can do to bring this show back to its greatness. That Phase One, season 2, OMFG-this-show-is-awesome kind of greatness. I mean it's not remotely close to that. Jack and Sloane have nothing else in the tank, everything they do with them seems to be so repetitive and any secrets they may have are no longer that interesting.

I don't know why I'll still watch - I guess it's because I have the DVDs for the first 3 seasons and I'll wonder if anything good is happening, but it will be a very painful season to watch. And the new cast members will probably make Lauren look like an all-time fan favorite.

Oh, and BTW, Vartan isn't coming back, get it through your heads, he's gone, bye bye, sayonara, finito, R.I.P. Michael Vaughn or Andre Michau or whatever his name was. It's over. They're moving on which at this point is not gonna win any fans over. In fact I completely sympathize with all the shippers and everyone who's followed the show from the beginning like me. I hate this! (n) If anything, the crappy ratings for the premiere will continue to decrease (they had only 8 million for the premiere and last year they had 14 million). And with a powerhouse like Survivor (CBS) competing with Alias at the 8 PM hour, along with Joey/Will and Grace (NBC), Everybody Hates Chris (UPN), The O.C. (FOX) and Smallville (The WB), it's very possible that Alias could finish 4th in its timeslot.

This could very easily be the case for the rest of the season:

1. Survivor (CBS) 15+ million viewers
2. Joey/Will & Grace OR The O.C. 8-10 million
3. The O.C. OR Joey/Will & Grace 7-9 million
4. Alias 6-8 million
5. Everybody Hates Chris 3-5 million (this show has a lot of buzz)
6. Smallville 2-4 million (Howard Stern said the premiere for this show was excellent and it'll be better than last year, so the WB and UPN will take a decent chunk of the Alias audience).

Sure, The O.C. might suck and Joey and Will & Grace seem like a total joke, but the truth of the matter is that Alias has no buzz and no one cares about a stupid baby.

And with that and the huge but non-surprising spoiler below, forget it, THE SHOW WILL PROBABLY BE OVER AFTER THIS YEAR. And it will be 2 bad seasons in a row.

(Spoiler tags aren't working).
It's no secret that Jennifer Garner is rumored to be leaving the show after this year. And I hope they don't try to continue the show without Jen cause that would be really retarted. *wink*

It's regretable but inevitable, this show is coming to an end this season and they got NOTHING going. I just don't care about this girl who was in touch with Vaughn this whole time or how all of this happened. Not even the return of Lena Olin IF it happens can save this season. BTW, APO sucks. Sloane has no edge anymore, and as I said, whatever they do with him and Jack seems to be very repetitive after season 3. They never got us to care too much about Dixon which should be blamed on the writers. And we got no Will, no Francie, hell, no evil sexy temptress Lauren, who would be a lot better than any new characters they might introduce this season. I'd love to see her come back from the dead and screw with Sydney 9 ways 'til Sunday but that's not gonna happen. Melissa George rocks and season 3 was WAAAY better than season 4 by the way.

So the point of this post is just to tell all of you to have no expectations because this season will more than likely suck big-time and the show will be cancelled after this season. I'm sure they'll let J.J. and the writers know ahead of time so they can plan for a series premiere this coming May.

But it shouldn't have been like this. The big blows for Alias are in no particular order, the baby, Vartan leaving, having no Covenant or cool SD-6-like villains to look forward to, the departure of too many fan favorites like Sark, Will, and in my opinion, Lauren, who despite being a really lame character in the beginning of season 3, ended up being the anti-Sydney the show should have embraced and try to re-sell to the non-believers in season 4 (get that?) ;) They could have brought back the Alliance, the Covenant, hell, McKenas Cole, in season 4, but they did none of that. In fact, other than that big car crash at the end of season 4, it just seems like there's NO STORIES from season 4 that matter in season 5, and that tells you right there that the show has completely lost its edge.

This sucks cause it feels like I'm saying goodbye to a show that was once great and something I'd really look forward to every week. Now for me, it's all about TV's hottest and most addictive drama, Nip/Tuck, and Lost. Other shows like Rescue Me and 24 are also more interesting to me than Alias.

Instead of that car crash, they should have ended it last season with a 90-minute episode that would have properly sended the show to syndication.

Posting on AA is a privilege, not a "right". Edited to remove gossip, which is against AA rules. Also, edited title because it invited speculation about a topic which again, is NOT permitted here.

[verdantheart: changed for tagging, 10/26]

I really don't know what to say.

I thought that the premiere was fantastic. Vaughn is dead. Sydney is crushed again. The show is actually DRAMATIC again. Drama doesn't just suggest things that make fans all warm and fuzzy inside.

As for me, this season is appearing to be very exciting and intriguing. What was Vaughn really doing? Is Sydney going to team up with Renee? What is Prophet Five and what did they exactly find? How far will Sloane go to see his daughter safe? What affect will Vaughn's death have on APO? How is Sydney going to survive this life - and her pregnancy - on her own?

All of them are fantastic questions that I can't wait to be answered!

And you're reading into what's "supposed" to happen. I bet when some people heard about a "Doubling Process" and some kinda evil twin idea, a LOT of fans were kinda hesitant as well. But the writers pulled it off. You are taking all of the publicity of Alias and assuming that it is all terrible news.

What's this "nobody cares about a stupid baby". I care. I think it's gonna be fantastic. Maybe you don't care about a "stupid" baby. But don't think that everyone does. Not everyone dislikes Alias now.

The death of Vaughn not bring TONS of attention to Alias. The cast additions have brought attention to Alias. Jennifer's pregnancy has brought a lot of publicity as well. I think this season has gotten plenty of attention and buzz....even if it's not always positive praising news to some people.

You think that the writers have got nothing going for them. I strongly disagree. This season is already certainly better than the awful Season 3 or (so far) the detatched Season 4.

And Alias does have a villian! We just don't know exactly who they all are yet. But they killed everyone in the project for Prophet Five and we know that Dean as well as the other interrogator dude that killed Vaughn is in on it. Also Peyton and the man who got Sloane out of jail. How much more defined can you get? ;)

And what is with every fan and just CONSTANTLY comparing everything to Seasons 1 and 2? Yes, they were MUCH better than Alias is now and YES we all want everything to be like Season 1 and 2. But seriously? Things CHANGE. Alias NEEDS change. I'm GLAD that the show isn't like Seasons 1 or 2 or it would have gotten AWFULLY repetitive.

The death of Vaughn certainly added a well-needed jolt to the show and hit viewers hard, proving that this show indeed STILL DOES have an edge and can pull it out at any time.

And what is with all of the bitter fans and creating threads just to explain how pissed they are at the show? I mean, there are "React" threads. I don't understand the purpose of telling everyone how much it sucked and how you don't enjoy the show anymore. I mean that's great and all that you feel that Alias isn't doing it for you anymore, but there are still millions of other fans who thought this episode was spectacular. It's so weird when you go into episode threads and there's five or six threads about how much they hated Episode X because Vaughn died. LOL Vaughn died in the premiere, there's no need to be bitter over that in the FOURTH episode thread! LMAO. But I'm not saying anything more because apparently mentioning maybe a move to the Season 5 General thread is frowned upon by them.

I mean.....after one episode, fans are completely leaving the show, dissing it, ripping it to shreds, etc. Wow....fans can disregard it THAT quickly because the death of a character and the pregnancy storyline? Wow.

So, while I'm not gonna attack you personally or question your loyalties to...a TV show (LOL...only Alias fans, right?)....but I like this season...

couldnt have said it any better ... (y) (y)

U R right BoyScout ;)

Some fans just have to go and shred the show just because the "super couple" is not together ... we had the same backlash when they wanted to introduce Lauren Reed ... the most hated character on Alias ... and now with these new blood into the scene, they haven't even seen them and they already hate them ... that to me means, that they don't care about the show ... they just care about Syd and Vaughn ... but believe there are no happily ever afters anymore ... there used to be many many years ago ... but in this day and change ... couples are always changing ... just watch TV and you know what I mean ... ;)

I understand they want Syd and Vaughn together, since they are the core heart of the show, but come on its a TV show ... drama needs to happen ... and this death has made it easier for the show ... lets just wait and see what happens next ... (y)

Let's avoid judging fans' loyalties. It's rude, unnecessary, and can cause fights in a thread. Which means it'd have to be closed. No one wants that, right?

couldnt have said it any better ... (y) (y)

U R right BoyScout ;)

Some fans just have to go and shred the show just because the "super couple" is not together ... we had the same backlash when they wanted to introduce Lauren Reed ... the most hated character on Alias ... and now with these new blood into the scene, they haven't even seen them and they already hate them ... that to me means, that they don't care about the show ... they just care about Syd and Vaughn ... but believe there are no happily ever afters anymore ... there used to be many many years ago ... but in this day and change ... couples are always changing ... just watch TV and you know what I mean ... ;)

I understand they want Syd and Vaughn together, since they are the core heart of the show, but come on its a TV show ... drama needs to happen ... and this death has made it easier for the show ... lets just wait and see what happens next ... (y)

I definitely care about the show...that is why I am so upset with the direction the show is taking.

I just feel that we as fans are being cheated...and I don't think I'll be watching tomorrow.

Just my opinion that is.

I understand where ivand67 is coming from they could have wrote mv out another way...killing him was a little crazy, but still it wasn't right...but we are all mad and we don't do that kinda posting. I only think season three was bad season four was a good bounce back and this season is going good so far...i'm crush vaughn is dead and yes i did cry but i'm not gonna be rude and post things like that!

mel

ivand67 really does make good points. I can nver belive it when people sya season 4 was better than season 3. Probably because Vaughn and Syd were back together. I don't know. Season 4 was like a major felgercarb to me. The story arcs were small and most of the episodes were self-contained. The general idea f APO was boring. Only the 2 last epis of S4 prevented it from being a major felgercarb-o-rama( and maybe the 2 epis with Sark). other than that the whole season was BS.
Now, I think season 5 started very well. The first epi was just so great. Story arcs started to unfold. Unfortunately the end sucked the life out of it. It's just so stupid. They could have done something else with Vaughn.
And it really makes me mad that people sya he's gonna come back. Stupid to keep your hopes up. I think this time they realy killed Vaugh off and he won't return. People who sya he'll come back are kidding themselves.
Ep 2 wasn't good at all. It seems that the whole season will become Syd's revenge on the guys who killed Vaughn pretty poor.
And the new characters really blow. I personally too think that Lauren should come back. At the moment we really don't have any enemies we hate. But when you saw Lauren you were all like arrggghh, diiiieee!!!
And I realy wish we could have Will back. A real person would miss her friends.

P.S. There are almost no old characters left. Only Jack, Sloane, Marshall and Dixon. Don't really care about Dixon. Sloane has become pretty boring if you ask me. This season could have been the alot better than S4. Kinda crappy to watch old Alias epis when you know this is what's gonna happen

I'm not mad about Vaughn becasue he and Syd were lovers. he was just so important cahracter in the show. What if they killed Marshall? Or Jack? Right now I really wouldn't mind if they killed of Sloane or Dixon. Both characters have been sucked dry.

Glad to see someone kind of agrees with me, SpyDude.

Don't know what I said that was wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time one of my posts was edited. I probably lead this whole site, at least in percentage of posts that get edited because supposedly I'm not following some kind of rule.

I wish I had come back and replied, but I'm still watching the show, and I really enjoyed the 4th episode, Mockingbird. The whole Rachel character was awesome and boy, when she was in the trunk of the car, it seemed like her shirt just wanted to tear off right through the middle of her chest.

Really, effing, hot! :D

That was some sexy action yet. So maybe there's hope for the show yet. Boyscout4747, I'm sure you got some good points but I'm not about to read your post right now, I got no time. Though the next time I come here I'll spend a few minutes reading it, I promise... ;)

^LOL Cool! I'm glad you enjoyed "Mockingbird", I really liked it too!

And I SO NOTICED Boobs McPhee (AKA Rachel, nickname provided by TWOP) erm....squirming in the back of the trunk! lol

Kinda crappy to watch old Alias epis when you know this is what's gonna happen

I'm with you here...i can't watch old Alias epis because now i know that the kill sutch a beautiful love story, and makes me so sad (n)

Also, they completely failed to make Nadia someone we care about ...
Seems that at least some of the fans care about her . . .

So the point of this post is just to tell all of you to have no expectations because this season will more than likely suck big-time and the show will be cancelled after this season. I'm sure they'll let J.J. and the writers know ahead of time so they can plan for a series premiere this coming May.
I'm guessing you mean a series finale ;) --and I expect that they will, especially for a series like this, but they've left some pretty egregious hangers for some series before! :thinking:

in my opinion, Lauren, who despite being a really lame character in the beginning of season 3, ended up being the anti-Sydney the show should have embraced and try to re-sell to the non-believers in season 4 (get that?) ;)
Um, well, that would have been a very tough sell for me! :lol: Better to start from scratch.

And you're reading into what's "SUPPOSED" to happen.
I'll agree, there's a problem with fans, especially the more zealous ones, in that area. ;)

I bet when some people heard about a "Doubling Process" and some kinda evil twin idea, a LOT of fans were kinda hesitant as well. But the writers pulled it off.
:lol: Well, that's a matter of opinion.

And what is with every fan and just CONSTANTLY comparing everything to Seasons 1 and 2? Yes, they were MUCH better than Alias is now and YES we all want everything to be like Season 1 and 2. But seriously? Things CHANGE. Alias NEEDS change. I'm GLAD that the show isn't like Seasons 1 or 2 or it would have gotten AWFULLY repetitive, don't you think?
I'll be the very first to agree with you in that I like a series in which the characters are allowed to grow and change over time. That used to be a very rare thing indeed, but has gradually become more prevalent. Also, changes to bad guys and even cast doesn't bother me too much--depending on the skill, story, etc. However, when I make this sort of comparison, I'm likely to be referring to broader qualitative aspects. That is, I was able to discover themes and aspects of character--food for thought--that I find much more difficult to find now. However, it might be that I found the resolutions of the major season-long arcs the past two years a bit disappointing (I know that this is an individual reaction ;)).

Also, when there is a revelation about a character, I expect it to be consistent with the character. It's a little hard to tell about Vaughn so far, but I guess I can wait and see how it plays out. On the other hand, I would have found the revelation regarding Vaughn/Michaux more satisfying had it been sufficiently foreshadowed in previous seasons--I don't count the various (and now muddled) stories about his father as fitting into that category because I expect the foreshadowing to be about Vaughn, not his father.
(Sorry to be so long-winded . . .)

there are no happily ever afters anymore ...
I'm not sure I agree that there are no happily ever afters, but I'm happy that it's not all butterflies and puppydogs for every series . . .

... I can nver belive it when people sya season 4 was better than season 3. Probably because Vaughn and Syd were back together. I don't know. Season 4 was like a major felgercarb to me. The story arcs were small and most of the episodes were self-contained. The general idea f APO was boring. Only the 2 last epis of S4 prevented it from being a major felgercarb-o-rama( and maybe the 2 epis with Sark). other than that the whole season was BS.
Maybe they just love Irina. I can actually see reasons why someone would like s3 better or s4 better. ;)

And it really makes me mad that people sya he's gonna come back. Stupid to keep your hopes up. I think this time they realy killed Vaugh off and he won't return. People who sya he'll come back are kidding themselves.
Really? I actually find that point of view rather unbelievable. I know this will sound insensitive, but after Irina and the virtual parade of walking dead on this series, I have to believe that the only reason he wouldn't show up again is if they couldn't sign him. VIPs just don't die on Alias. :mellow: Many of us don't believe he's dead because around Alias, you have to practically nuke someone to get them to @#%*! die. As it was, they Sonny Corleone'd him and he kept on tickin'. :blink: Sorry again for my insensitivity, but, heck, if they wanted me to believe it, why didn't they make it look more believable?

As far as the idea that they'd kill a beautiful love story . . . like I said, I'm not so sure it's dead . . . ;)

And I realy wish we could have Will back. A real person would miss her friends.
Because Sydney doesn't whine about Will being gone all the time, she doesn't miss him? If she did (whine about him, that is), everyone would complain that she never shuts up about him! Talk about being unable to win! :lol: Perhaps she expresses missing him during her leisure time off-screen. ;)

Back