What topic did Alias touch on that you really

A couple topics I enjoyed were:

1) The value of friendship. For instance, I think that Will was pretty vital to Sydney's sanity for most of the 2nd Season. She was able to talk to him about her double life. It meant all the difference to have the ability to tell the truth to at least one of her best friends.

2) The idea that you can be so wrapped up in your own life that you miss the most blatant things... aka Evil Francie. It seemed apparent to me, and most viewers, that Francie was acting a little strange. If I was a double agent for the CIA, I would suspect my friends of being doubled if they acted strangely. Just kidding! But honestly, if I were a double agent for the CIA, I would definitely look into it if my friends were acting strange. People try to come at you through all angles of your life. And your friends are usually one of your easiest weaknesses.

Hmm...I'm trying to think of the big things that have really jumped out at me over the course of the show so far.

1.) The value of forgiveness...How Syd can forgive Jack (and even Irina, to some extent) in order to have a relationship with her parents. I guess it's the "life's too short" principle that shows that you just have to take what you can get, forget the past, and move on with your life.

2.) Sydney's competence at absolutely EVERYTHING is still inspiring to me. I know there aren't many real people who could attain a Ph.d in Literature, speak every language, know every fighting style and weapon, and get out of any situation just by their wits, but somehow, she makes it seem believable. I know it's a cliche, but sometimes I actually do think, "What would Sydney Bristow do?"

3.) And finally, not to sound sappy, but I think the show has done a great job at portraying what true love really means. Not only between Sydney and Vaughn, but between Jack and Irina as well. Usually, the notion of there being only "one person" out there for everyone makes me gag, but with these two couples, I can see how some believe that. I can't say that I've ever been in that kind of love, but I think I have a better understanding of what it is now.

For me, Alias really defined and brought home the father-daughter relationship. Jack's complicated but devoted connection to Sydney is fascinating. Meanwhile, we see a daughter who has learned to deny her father turn and lay her life on the line to save him when the chips are down, revealing a bond strong enough to withstand incredible stress of a million disappointments, large and small (and herein comes the forgiveness spoken of above). For me, a large part of Alias will always be the father-daughter relationship of Jack and Sydney--even if (as some suggest) it turns out that Jack is not her biological father.
;)

I don't think I can pick one thing. Every relationship on the show is so well written. The romance, the friendships, the partnerships, the rivalries, the family, and everything in between. However if I had to pick, I really enjoy the Rambaldi/prophecy stuff. What would on some shows be ludicrous, is totally believeable on Alias.

I also really love how the show isn't black and white when it comes to good and evil. The good guys do bad stuff, the bad guys do good stuff. It's complicated and makes the characters very dimensional.

And finally, the relationship between Jack & Irina. It's so not overstated and obvious. Their emotions run so deep for each other. Irina betrayed the love of her life. Jack hates himself for not being able to hate her. Their relationship is so complex and yet romantic at the same time.

i agree with everything said before
plus, i think in a way, alias also shows how endless and desperate fighting against Evil can be.
remember when Noah (the Snowman) said to Syd that when he met her he felt sad because she acted like she loved her job but he knew that in the end she would be disapointed ? and syd answered that he's right cos' she didn't have fun anymore ? and now, it doesn't seem to get any better ... but she continues to do her job no matter how painful it is for her ... !!!
then i think 'bout how real spies' life can be and i don't think it's fun at all ... but they do what they have to do, never complaining, never get social reward for what they've done, always stay anonymous, even in death ... (it's part of Al Pacino's "pep talk" in "the recruit", a very good movie ...)

well that and the fact that nothing is really what it appears to be in the first place ... "trust is a tricky thing" as Weiss said ... ( Ooo, i think i sound a little disillusioned here, don't i ?! but hey!! NO !!! i'm definitely an optimist !! ;) :D ) and to prove it i believe in S/V love 4ever ^_^

This is a real nice thread and lots of what you guys already said rings true for me.

Friendship is a major one - not just Syd with Will but also with vaughn - he was her friends first remember and I loved that he was laways there for her before she had the option of talking to Will about stuff. But Will and Syd do seem to portray an almost perfect friendship where anything is accepted - even a kiss, or sex, or finding out ur best pal is a spy - all these things seem only to bring Syd and Will closer together!

I love the S/V romance!! I'm hating season three because of this - we no thats not true i'm loving season three but i'm hating that Vaughn is married - it ruins the idead the soulmates are meant to be together and will be no matter what. I know time may bring s/v back together but their love/friendship was so much a part of the show for me in seasons 1 and 2 and now we've kind of lost that and i miss it.

As VH and Azalea said the Syd/Jack relationship is awesome - she's forgiven him so many times and it shows the true value of family - he can do anything but he is still her dad (he better be anyway - i won't be happy if sloane turns out to be!!!).

I'm shocked with myself that i can't think of any things of my own but i guess it's just cos like the same things about the show as the rest of you guys. :smiley:

parisMalias said:
then i think 'bout how real spies' life can be and i don't think it's fun at all ... but they do what they have to do, never complaining, never get social reward for what they've done, always stay anonymous, even in death ... (it's part of Al Pacino's "pep talk" in "the recruit", a very good movie ...)
I agree with what you're saying. I think that Alias portrays Sydney's life in a glamorous way when she's going on missions and such. I mean, it looks fun to outwit the bad guys, etc. But the writers chose to have her personal, non-spy life be interwined with the spy life. It's complicated and is definitely something I wouldn't wish to have. That sort of changes the whole dynamic of her missions. The viewer still is meant to find it glamorous and fun, but then you think about the hardships that have forced her to do this mission.

And the whole anonymous comment... I can't imagine how hard it is knowing that every person on the street should probably thank you for saving their life, but they don't. It's hard to experience such pride in your job, but never be able to talk about it with anyone.

I agree with everything everyone else has said, and I think the things that really jump out at me are:

- Jack and Syd's relationship. The way she's able to forgive him after everything he's done, all the times he's dissapointed her, is just amazing.

- Syd and Vaughn's relationship. The fact that they even have a relationship when they know that Vaughn's father was killed by Sydney's mother, is incredible.

- Sydney's emotional and mental strength. The way she's able to even go to work and be productive is surprising. Yes, she does break down and cry sometimes, but with her situation, I'm shocked that she can continue to be productive at her job, especially with Lauren and Vaughn there.

3.) And finally, not to sound sappy, but I think the show has done a great job at portraying what true love really means. Not only between Sydney and Vaughn, but between Jack and Irina as well. Usually, the notion of there being only "one person" out there for everyone makes me gag, but with these two couples, I can see how some believe that. I can't say that I've ever been in that kind of love, but I think I have a better understanding of what it is now.
Word. Seriously. Couldn't have said it better.

The Spy Fam dynamics are definetely the best thing about this show, imo. The Jack/Syd relationship is what got me hooked and I totally fell in love with Irina's relationship with Sydney and Jack.

KateJones47 said:
- Jack and Syd's relationship. The way she's able to forgive him after everything he's done, all the times he's dissapointed her, is just amazing.
But, for me, it's much more than that. All the time that he's continually disappointed her during the time she was growing up, he's also been continually outpouring an intense love for her and defending her with leonine devotion. I'd like to see more of the reasons for his distancing himself from her brought out. I think that he distanced himself to protect her--to chase her out of the nest early so that she would be independent and apart from him--happily apart from him. It didn't work out that way, did it?
;)

Women Power!
Also friendship that it shouldn't be taken for granted and to follow your heart.
Sydney is such a strong character and is an amazingly person.When you watch her you want to be her. You want her strenght her faith her trust in people her beliefs. Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow is a great role model for women. And I thank JJ for writing a show with a good meaning to it. ;)

i totally agree with you all esp about the jack/syd relationship. jack's ability to hide his emotions to syd. i cried during the time when sydney asked jack to dinner and jack didn't know how to handle that so he opted not to go, yet was only a few feet away from sydney. (that scene was classic-sydney was crying so hard.) inspite of working together and being aware of the dangers of their work, jack is always a father first then a fellow cia agent to sydney. it made me realize that jack like any other parent has unconditional love to his daughter.

i also appreciated that irina didn't turn out to be a really bad mother. every irina and sydney moments has been touching and poignant.

the strong bond (of friendship) between sydney and vaughn during the first season, sydney and francie, sydney and will and even sydney and dixon and vaughn and weiss. true friendship is always being able to extend a hand no matter how busy you are or how emotionally stressed out you are at work or how risky it would be that you're close to getting fired from your work. when it comes to the love for your true friends, nothing will stop you from giving and dependable to them.

Like most others, I also liked the father-daughter relationship between Jack and Sydney. But ALIAS also made me realize that the value of honesty is sometimes just as important as being dishonest. I know that there would be some of you who might not believe in the saying "the end justifies the means". I didn't too. But ALIAS made me stop and think about it again. There are times when we have to walk the path of deception if only to protect the people we love or to fight for what we know is right.

:mellow:

I wanted to add that another thing I thought of was the value of a great support sytem. I think that Sydney's life would have fallen apart a lot more if she didn't always have someone she could count on. Before the end of S2, she had Vaughn and Will (and she thought Francie, too, but we knew better). They were always there for her no matter what. This season, though they haven't touched on it that much, she has a great neighbor and friend in Weiss. I'm kind of upset that the writers have let that angle die down the past few episodes.

Back