What turns a game into a coaster for you?

Which of the following is most likely to cause you to quit a game?

• Trouble installing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You don't like the UI

• Something about the tutorial

• First few people you meet annoy hell out of you

• Total voters
Persistant server issues/instability can ruin a game for me real fast. There is nothing worse than putting in 8 or 9 hours at work, battling Boston rush hour traffic for an hour or two to finally arrive at home, eager for the chance to unwind by playing my favorite MMORPG (that I've likely been thinking about all day), sitting down in front of the computer and the servers are down (or some other random technical issue is preventing me from playing)... :angry:

If it happens during the first month or so of a game going live then I can totally understand that. If it happens frequently, after the game has been out for several months or even years, then I'm going to start wondering what exactly my $15 per month is going towards. Call me impatient but I have to draw the line eventually. The continual server issues in WoW were at least 50% of the reason for why I quit. FFXI's servers were so much more stable... and they were in Japan!

I don't see "The developers turned the game into an easy, effortless grind and I realized everyone I was playing with had an IQ equal to a rock (or an ant)" as an option. That would be the reason I have quit all but perhaps one of the games I've played.

I don't see "The developers turned the game into an easy, effortless grind and I realized everyone I was playing with had an IQ equal to a rock (or an ant)" as an option. That would be the reason I have quit all but perhaps one of the games I've played.

Where's the option "Because Ainilome stopped playing the game and made me interested in another" ?

Yeah, I would consider those synonymous too!

I also would put my reason as having the lack of familiar people around to interact with. Without people around, it becomes a single player game and said game will only hold my attention for a very short period of time before I moved on.

Hell, I just renewed World of Warcraft and have considered Lord of the Rings Online for the single fact that friends are actively playing it right now (although I might get 2-3 days a week at most to play them :D2 )

Our guild has gone from noone being interested to 20-plus members in LotRO with, presently, an additional six people applying for guild membership. Some of them say that they're playing simply because "a lot of TCOers are playing it" moreso than the game itself. Of course, we also have our fair share of Tolkien tragics, who are just happy to run around the maps they have been looking at in books since they were kids (like me!), but I totally understand what you are saying, Tyrson, about playing with friends.

I very rarely keep friends through games, so that doesn't really factor in for me. Do I wish all my VG friends were playing DR with me? Heck yeah, but I'm still there enjoying myself. I think that's because I play with my boyfriend though, so it's a two player game instead of a one :P Hells, we made fun and RP in Rapellz together.

What makes me leave a game is dumbing down of systems (ala EQ2), an unpleasant, largly PvP or end game focused community and a general lack of RP.

Graphics. I need pretty. I can always whine/beg/save my way to a system that gets decent framerates, and I can deal with things being mindless/repetitive, just give me some eye candy!

I think there is only one game I have ever taken back to the store. It had so many bugs that it could not be played. So an instability issue was there. I have a problem on the poll choosing just one of the answers though lol.

High on my list would be:

1 graphics (walking in streets and buildings that look like they are made of smeared mud, or hay! my nice barbarian female looks like line-backer for the Miami Dolphins ... in drag)

2 being ganked by another player ( who like it so much that they then stalk you in game for days [yes I have had this happen])

3 frame rate / lag ( hay, if you cant play ...)

4 whats in game does not match pre-game description ( bait and switch ... this I have experienced with graphics and game play [sigh])

I have high hopes here though /game camp mode on

I would say gameplay if it was an option. If they game doesn't feel right or just works wrong with quests or whatever than it is a bomb for me.

Back