What types of servers do you want?

I think RP on every server is great, but only strict RP should be enforced on a particular server or two, or whatever. Oft time I like to ramble about the weather :P

~ Jaraeth

Originally posted by Seeria@Jun 22 2006, 04:02 PM
Roleplay PvE with consensual PvP and faction vs faction. Love a good guild war.
Sounds good to me :smiley:

I kinda like the way the DR standard server was handled. It could pretty much be considered RP, and although you could PvP anytime any place, it was mostly consensual. And although i'm not very good at roleplaying I really enjoy being in a true roleplay community.

Nothing like factions in DR though but simutronics has already stated there's going to be a faction based PvP system in HJ B)

What i really like is this idea. As far as PvP goes i'll be playing on whatever server has this rule:

When players are not in a PvP world, they may be in one of three states: Opt Out, Standard or Overt. The Opt Out state prevents a player from engaging in or being a target of any PvP activity. The Standard state allows you to engage in or be the target of covert (non-combat) PvP. Certain actions, such as failing a covert PvP action or attacking someone in an Overt state can move you to the Overt state. The Overt state allows any Standard or Overt flagged player to engage you in combat.

:D IMHO this is the single best idea regarding handling PvP ever.

Originally posted by ShadowZERO+Jun 23 2006, 12:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ShadowZERO @ Jun 23 2006, 12:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Seeria@Jun 22 2006, 04:02 PM
Roleplay PvE with consensual PvP and faction vs faction. Love a good guild war.
Sounds good to me :smiley:

I kinda like the way the DR standard server was handled. It could pretty much be considered RP, and although you could PvP anytime any place, it was mostly consensual. And although i'm not very good at roleplaying I really enjoy being in a true roleplay community.

Nothing like factions in DR though but simutronics has already stated there's going to be a faction based PvP system in HJ B)

What i really like is this idea. As far as PvP goes i'll be playing on whatever server has this rule:

When players are not in a PvP world, they may be in one of three states: Opt Out, Standard or Overt. The Opt Out state prevents a player from engaging in or being a target of any PvP activity. The Standard state allows you to engage in or be the target of covert (non-combat) PvP. Certain actions, such as failing a covert PvP action or attacking someone in an Overt state can move you to the Overt state. The Overt state allows any Standard or Overt flagged player to engage you in combat.

:D IMHO this is the single best idea regarding handling PvP ever. [/b][/quote]
That "Opt Out, Standard, Overt" system sounds very much like what Star Wars Galaxies has.

I - Dragonrealms has a system where anyone can attack anyone any time and *almost* anywhere (some locations have all hostile actions disabled). However violence in/near cities is subject to the justice system (which can get *very* inconvenient very quick), and there is game policies in relation to unconsented PvP (in a situation where there is no provocation there may be repercussions eventually leading up to a lockout from the game).

II - The Opt-out, Standard, Overt system looks neat, as is the covert action system they speak of. But I assume the covert actions would be the likes of theft by various rogues and having items planted on one's person by same. So... why would anyone other than the people who enjoy the RP opportunities afforded by being stolen from ever use Standard over Opt-out?

What constitutes Covert CvC? Is re-telling a story about that night he spent with my character's momma Covert CvC? Is grabbing the treasure my kill just dropped Covert CvC? Is hiring bards to sing stories about how he beat my character till he cried for momma in four different languages coz it hurt so bad, Covert CvC?

Will people who talk the talk be made to walk the walk? Or will they be free to fire cows at us from behind the stone wall of Opt-out?

Originally posted by crisisfox@Jun 23 2006, 08:48 AM
I - Dragonrealms has a system where anyone can attack anyone any time and *almost* anywhere (some locations have all hostile actions disabled). However violence in/near cities is subject to the justice system (which can get *very* inconvenient very quick), and there is game policies in relation to unconsented PvP (in a situation where there is no provocation there may be repercussions eventually leading up to a lockout from the game).
This is what I liked about the way DR handled PvP. It was possible to settle things with PvP in almost in situation if that is what you wanted to do, but there was almost always consequences for doing so unless both parties consented. A system like that kept most of the people who wanted to opt-out ot PvP altogether safe without introducting artificial mechanics to protect them. And the people who did like to settle things the PvP way could certainly do so, but they would have to have a good reason for doing it and also be willing to accept any consequences. I do think, however, that a system like this would fall prey to abuse in a mass market MMORPG, so i completly agree with Simutroincs deciding on using another method to handle PvP in HJ.

As far as what covert PvP might be, I really dunno. Pickpocketing will not be in game per the unofficial FAQ, so it will be interesting to see what they have in store for us in this area. I'm sure Simutronics realizes the need to make each state you can be in meaningful, and the need to make switching states not a trivial thing to prevent abuse of the system.

I really do have a good feeling about how PvP will be handled in HJ. I believe that Simutronics would be making HJ a PvE only game right from the start if they didn't really have some good plans on how to handle PvP. And since they've already outlined the basics of their PvP model, I think they are the company least likely to half ass PvP in such an important title for them.

Have RP on every server. And to make it so you can still talk about non RP stuff in game, be able to make channels in chat. I really feel RP should be encourage on all servers. Just have two kinds.

RP PvP

RP PvE

I honestly believe that they should have servers that have degrees of the amount of role-playing. Some people really do not enjoy role-playing, and others who will role-play just when they get bored, myself included. Forcing people to role-play wont please everyone, but seperating the people who want to role-play, and those who don't want to will benefit Hero's Journey.

plz forgive me if i am repeating any past discussions made in the forums because im a new member and havent had time to read all the previous posts yet.

i heard talk of being able to PvP *anywhere*. if that is the case, perhaps there will be a system like diablo 2: you can attack anyone as long as they are above lvl 9. this will keep gankers out of lowbie areas.

also, is there a motive to PvP? like the honor system in WoW?

Originally posted by MikeDold@Jun 26 2006, 02:48 AM
plz forgive me if i am repeating any past discussions made in the forums because im a new member and havent had time to read all the previous posts yet.

i heard talk of being able to PvP *anywhere*. if that is the case, perhaps there will be a system like diablo 2: you can attack anyone as long as they are above lvl 9. this will keep gankers out of lowbie areas.

also, is there a motive to PvP? like the honor system in WoW?
Sorry for the late reply. As of now their is hardly any information related to PvP. Hero's Hall will though, have all of the readily available informatoin once it has been confirmed, and not rumor by Simutronics.

RP server for me. I also have noticed that most people gravitate to RP servers like the other guy said, but I actually go there for the RP and always got annoyed at the leetists who would go to those servers and tend to not respect the RP factor with intelligent retorts such as "WTF noob, I will pwn joo"...So as a result if they persisted in being rude, I tended not invite persons such as those to quest groups and made their stay somewhat shall we say ...uncomfortable if I came across them, particularly if they happened to be in a pvp zone. Call it vendictive? perhaps, but when its written on the box beside the server name that it is an RP enforced server, then I believe they were duely warned when they clicked "Yes".

Well, just remember, it all depends on the number of players as to how many servers a game will have. Plus the demand by their players for a special one. They have to consider how many players will be on it, to make it worthwhile.

Honestly from my experiance on WOW (which is the best PvP experiance ive gotten) The PvP servers are very popular.

But as to which kind of server id like to see the most...A RP-PVP cross server would be my wish! :Ph34r:

Thought...It depends how they do the pvp on this game.

A territorial conquest server would also be a good one to add onto the list. People who love to see dominance, and change would be drawn to a server such as this.

Back