What was done right in other MMOs? Or what do you miss from other games?

I have played most of the MMOs that have come out. It seems that each has had their moments that were fun or ideas that were almost complete. Often times my group talks about what we liked from different games that we have played. So let’s see a list. What have you liked about past games you have played?

Star Wars Galaxies (Beta and pre first expansion)
There have been a LOT of pitfalls from this game, however many of their concepts were well done. I really enjoyed the cantina environment in the beginning; it is perhaps the closest the graphical games have come to a community compared with Gemstone.

The ability of player bands to form that seemed like they had worked together for a long time was great. Loved how one band member could ‘lead’ the band and everyone would play music and move in sync with each other. Really added to the immersion of the cantina. Then the ability to add dancing to the band in the background just took this one step higher. Would have liked to see a player be able to actually bartend to some degree. This could be done, but only for a role-playing effect.

On our world several player bands actually formed that you could book for functions. Our guild sponsored a guild party night. This was by far the best memory anyone in my guild had from this game. We brought in two bands to play in different areas of our guild hall, had several pets out from creature handlers, and had an aquarium setup from dropped items in the game world, and a large fireworks display at the end of the night. Several years later I still have guild members talking to me about the experiences from that night. So several key elements came together to make this a great night. Again the player bands, the ability to be creative with dropped items, the ability to make and set off a large fireworks display (there was a system to hold and launch many fireworks easily) and a guild hall that we could decorate as we wanted.

Crafting in this game was nearly great. Loved the idea of shifting resources that required the crafter to reset collecting machines every couple weeks. However actually collecting the resources became very time intensive and repetitive VERY quickly. Having to spend several hours every day, or lose resources, was a serious drain on the fun factor. The creating of items with varied quality material was really great also. Gave a good reward for those that looked for the good resources. One thing that was missed though was that the demand for many different types of items dwindled fairly quickly as items didn’t wear out. This quickly caused the market to be glutted with crafted items.

Dark Age of Camelot (Beta through 1st expansion)
This game is perhaps the best (IMO) implementation of group of group PvP combat I have played in. There were certainly class balance issues. But the actual system in play was fairly well balanced for small groups. The rewards with character skills were also interesting, made for a nice goal and were mostly appropriate. So far no game has made my heart rate jump as much as DAOC when I saw another group approaching or while stalking another group.

The linking of Realm vs. Realm (RvR) status (number of control points held) opening up a vast dungeon was also quite a boon. On busy nights the dungeon would change hands several times leading to vast pitched fights between many groups in different parts of the dungeon as the new faction swept through. Holding off the waves of enemies or devising traps with multiple groups defending in tandem was a lot of fun. This also created a reason to plan and participate in the RvR going on in the different zones. This dungeon (Darkness Falls) also had several built in good points. One is that it supported several different play styles all within one dungeon.
- Raid level areas
- Static name spawn points off to the sides and out of the way
- Lots of area for roving groups to experience hunt
The second good point: Loot was a matter of collecting tokens from the monsters and turning in said tokens for exactly what a character wanted. No more random loot that might or might not actually help the group of players out.

Another piece that was done well is the implementation of Battle Grounds. Allowing like level characters the ability to compete against like level characters has been unmatched in other games. It was easy to get to this area and usually competitive for everyone. Which made it an instant hit. The area was large enough to have strategic and tactically important areas. A well working group could function very well without having to resort to “zerging sides”.

The idea with DAOC that was a near hit is the mode of transportation. Use of horse routes both fit the fantasy setting and also allowed players to gather fairly effectively without really removing the notion of distance. If a player new the horse routes well, usually there was very little running needed to at least get into the general area (zone) to meet up with friends. Some criticized the actual implementation as not being flexible enough, but IMO it was a lot better than magically gating around the world (ala Plane of Knowledge in EQ).

Planetside (Beta through 1st expansion)
Couple really great things from this game. Easily into the meat of the game without needing to worry about levels or how much time was available to play. The ability to drop into hot zones really made this work well. This doesn’t translate very well to a fantasy world directly. But perhaps a mini game type approach for something with this type of access should be kept in mind.

Training simulation allowed new characters to get familiar with weapons and vehicles without having to learn while competing. This allowed new players to become at least competent with the different aspects of the game and really reduced the frustration levels while learning a new system.

Everquest 2 (Beta through 1st expansion)
Crafting profession was very viable option as an only character. Also each crafter was highly specialized in that they had to choose a single class to work within. Resources could be easily gathered (early game) or bought from the broker (bazaar). All the different crafters had a very firm niche they filled in the game, though a few did suffer from the lack of decay (similar to SWG).

PvP system also had a built in system to limit the levels of competing characters. Again this really helped limit the amount of frustration by requiring the characters to be at least of similar power.

World of Warcraft (pre 1st expansion)
The individual home starting areas did a great job introducing the different races and set a very good tone for all of them. Made playing a new character rather interesting through the first 15 – 20 levels as new content was seen. This also did a good job of exposing the lore for each race and could see their position in the game world.

World area was also very nice. The continuous world with different zones was done very well. While each zone certainly had a specific feel to it the blending of the zones really improved the immersion of the world.

Woo, nice Steele..

CoH:
The funniest/best(?) charactercreation so far. I did spend alot of hours just doing cool superheroes. Very flexible and there was almost a garantee you wouldnt meet another man/woman in the same pyjamas as you. The development system for your character was also good. Putting different enchants on your skills made you feel abit unique, and thats a good thing. Sadly I think it became alot of "cookiecutter"-builds anyway...

Lineage 2:
Sadly not much good stuff actually, but I really loved the castle siege in this game. Not just cool but really fun. Good group PvP and different siege tactics was really working. Sadly, everything else was really boring in that game. Alltho.. It looked really good, and I think its still does.

Dark and Light:
I havent played this game much. But I have to say that the "open" big world, with the possibillity to fly gave it a fantastic "epic" feel... Out of a RP-perspective, that must be a damn good thing.... but thats all I can say about this game.. It might suck, I have no idea...

First of all WELCOME to HH Steele!! - and thanks for a great post to boot.

Steele Phoenix said:
I have played most of the MMOs that have come out. It seems that each has had their moments that were fun or ideas that were almost complete. Often times my group talks about what we liked from different games that we have played. So let’s see a list. What have you liked about past games you have played?

Star Wars Galaxies (Beta and pre first expansion)
There have been a LOT of pitfalls from this game, however many of their concepts were well done. I really enjoyed the cantina environment in the beginning; it is perhaps the closest the graphical games have come to a community compared with Gemstone.

The ability of player bands to form that seemed like they had worked together for a long time was great. Loved how one band member could ‘lead’ the band and everyone would play music and move in sync with each other. Really added to the immersion of the cantina. Then the ability to add dancing to the band in the background just took this one step higher. Would have liked to see a player be able to actually bartend to some degree. This could be done, but only for a role-playing effect.

On our world several player bands actually formed that you could book for functions. Our guild sponsored a guild party night. This was by far the best memory anyone in my guild had from this game. We brought in two bands to play in different areas of our guild hall, had several pets out from creature handlers, and had an aquarium setup from dropped items in the game world, and a large fireworks display at the end of the night. Several years later I still have guild members talking to me about the experiences from that night. So several key elements came together to make this a great night. Again the player bands, the ability to be creative with dropped items, the ability to make and set off a large fireworks display (there was a system to hold and launch many fireworks easily) and a guild hall that we could decorate as we wanted.

Crafting in this game was nearly great. Loved the idea of shifting resources that required the crafter to reset collecting machines every couple weeks. However actually collecting the resources became very time intensive and repetitive VERY quickly. Having to spend several hours every day, or lose resources, was a serious drain on the fun factor. The creating of items with varied quality material was really great also. Gave a good reward for those that looked for the good resources. One thing that was missed though was that the demand for many different types of items dwindled fairly quickly as items didn’t wear out. This quickly caused the market to be glutted with crafted items.

/signed

I'd also like to add the Jedi annimations in that game. I never liked the fact that you couldn't jump on or off of anything though. No 'Z' axis.

EQ2: The sound effects for my Monk were just plain awesome. Along with the annimations and timing for reactions alike Doge, Block, Parry etc. The voiceovers rocked. Lack of character customization.

CoH: Sounds and graphic annimations, female characters are down right sexy!!! Good character customizations. Didn't like that standing pose all characters had though.

Guild Wars Factions: Great graphics. All grind. No real socialization/role play aspects to the game for me.

UO
Housing: I know others will disagree with me but I liked the housing. I like that I could place it where I wanted and that I could run around and visit other houses without zoning into some instance. I liked that I could decorate my house with pretty much anything I found just by locking it down.
Player Vendors: If I wasn't in the mood to hunt or craft, I would run around just browsing vendors. I loved finding a player vendor with something that I have been looking for or finding a cheap source or reagents, arrows, etc. Besides shopping, it was a blast keeping my own vendors stocked. I spent countless hours crafting and stocking my vendors. It just seemed more like a business, creating my wares and putting them on my vendors than creating the items and dumping them on the Auction House or Broker.
Skills: I very much prefer a skill based game over a class based game. JH will due because I can at least mix two classes to make a combo I will enjoy but I would still prefer to go by skills.

Horizons
Classes: Although Horizons was class based, you could mix and match what you wanted. I could do a Cleric for the armor and healing and mix in some spiritualist for the life taps. Not a true skill based but close. Hoping HJ will be somewhat similiar, with the mixing of two classes.

WoW
Soloing Content: I like the vast amount of solo content that is available, well, up to level 60. I tend to play more than my friends so when we aren't grouping, there is always something I can do.

EQ2
Voice Overs: I have to agree, the voice overs added a lot. It just seemed more real.

Great post Steele! Question, do you live in Phoenix? =]

Final Fantasy 11
I loved the atmosphere in this game. Quite possibly becuase it was my first MMORPG, but I loved the grouping system. I really enjoyed how skills could be combo'd as well. Also the fact that no one could do anything on their own in this game, you always had to rely on other people which was neat, and built a very strong, tight-knit community.

Lineage 2
I loved this game even though most hated it. I loved the grind as well. I would spend hours, and hours on my Silver Ranger grinding whatever I could. It was a blast honestly, and was very relaxing! I also loved the way grouping worked, you would find a room, stay there for hours on end, and your guild would be leveling in the room constantly. Everything was fast paced, mobs were killed quickly, and swiftly, but also respawned just as fast. Hours of fun.

The Matrix Online
This game was awsome as well. There were hours of fun when it came to PvP, grinding, and lore as you were overtaken by the Matrix Storyline. The only MMORPG I have found that actually had outcomes on the way the community acted. Real characters played by real people. Morpheus would meet up with Zionists to have opposing faction members assassinated, the Merovingian would do the same except hire people to try, and kill Morpheus. Just the entire game was fun, in the end I quit becuase I didn't have time.

Guild Wars
This game will always be my love. I spent so much time, and energy into this game it was unbelievable. From lieing about my age to get into alpha, to almost going to Taiwan for Season 1 Championships. This game has REMARKABLE PvP, and nothing in the near future will ever top it. The strategies were remarkable, and the replay value was insane. 10/10.

Everquest 2
The graphics were nice.

World of Warcraft
The "I was there in Warcraft 1" feeling was decent.

I'm going to actually give EverQuest an item on this list:

Despite numerous flaws, the sheer size of the world (number and size of zones) has to get some props. To this day, there's still several places I haven't been, and I've played it... well, my first run was from 7/99 to 8/04, and now I've been back a few weeks. Heck, in the original game before transport was dumbed down, there was a GOOD feeling of sectionalism as running anywhere at low levels was a task in itself. Made seeing an ogre in Blackburrow or an elf in Qeynos all that much cooler.

Lineage 2:

-Seamless world.

CoX:

-The abilitity to fly.

-Insane character/skill customising.

WoW:

-Skills increasing with use.

EQ:

-Getting drunk.

Those are the only ones I like enough to post. I really could go on and on with this tbh. Good topic, kudos.

EQ 1's Easter Eggs and 'real world' feel it had. If you jumped down the Hole. You died and had a heck of a time getting out of there if you were exploring. The fact there were real in game factions that made you kill on site. The weird creatures tossed into obviously lower leveled zones just to keep folks moving. I think a lot of MMOs have gotten rid of these oddities for 'whiners' sake, but it was actually interesting seeing these odd things roll about.
Like when Spec Island would get pulled over to Orc Highway. \m/ Lovely stuff.

Shadowbane; the open PvP and skill based class system. I loved it. I really miss how there wasn't a paper, rock, scissors way to play the game.

FFXI. I hated this game. No customization, uber liner advancement, slow slow slow pace. But still it introduced dual classing in a unique way and auction houses. If a MMO that has trade hits the market and doesn't copy the AH, then they're doomed.

CoX - I'm playing it! But I'd really miss the ability to fly or even use other weird abilities.

WoW - I miss the game play actually. It was paced well and everyone had a use.

EQ - GM events. Remember, back when GMs actually ran events and weren't just customer service? Kithicor Forest was an event with a repercussion which was very nice. Unfortunately, player base has changed and when they see a mob they just go and kill it then complain the loot is felgercarb - the idea it may be a puzzle started to elude them, hence events disappeared. But I'd like to see that again. I also miss EQ's community. There didn't used to be anything called a "griefer" or "ninja-looter" - reputation was too important. I do not however miss corpse runs. Nothing more nightmarish than taking an extra several hours on what was already a long night to get your corpse *shiver*

Horizons - The game had potential, the playing a dragon was a nice touch, satyrs was also nice but the game was half-finished on release, and so much was missing, or could have been improved. Fighting very uninspirational and dull, without much point. But being able to craft and ONLY craft was quite nice.

WoW - Hated the graphics, loved the lore. Still love the lore. Wish people would try and follow the lore instead of creating half-demon/vampire/anthros with five tails and a catchy Japanese name. Night Elves have a brilliant history, just stick to that. Playing a hunter - honestly, the hunter class was probably the best type I played, though druid was nice as well. Being able to solo whenever I wanted to and still have plenty of quests was great - but at level 60 I felt the game was over for me, entirely too much focus on raiding at that point. Still the design was very impressive - I played a character to 60 and when I started an alt I still found little nooks and crannies I didn't know existed - I just wish there was a more mature set of people playing the game to make it worth sticking around.

EQ2 - Honestly, I loved this game. The graphics were stunning - the way the hair moved when you turned, the shadows on your character, everything was just mindboggling. The "Golden line" to guide you to quest givers which did away entirely with all the yelling for directions that used to drive me spare. The first time I did a gryphon ride. The first time I took the spire up. The carpentry when it first started up was a pain, and there were a lot of changes to the game within the first six months which made things difficult, but still - brilliant. The only reason I stopped playing is the quality of "evil" Freeport guilds plummeted. I tried playing Qeynos side but the roleplayers had all moved on elsewhere. The lack of roleplaying is the only reason I left EQ2. I'm tempted actually to fire it up again but I just don't have time to play, and there's little soloability.

Morrowind - not a MMOG, actually, but wouldn't it be wonderful if it could be? I have played off an on for nearly two years now, and I've yet to actually do the main quest. That you can actually ignore the main quest entirely is rather fun. The questing and the choices are brilliant, you CAN screw up if you're not incharacter, but the character choices are limitless. My only complaints is the fighting is very awkward.

Didn't list cons since topic didn't ask for them :smiley:

CoH/V
* AMAZING character creation (nobody looked the same)
* AMAZING non-combat abilities (jump, fly, speed, teleport)
* Z axis! Could fly to top of skyscrapers
* Named areas/neighborhoods, not just named zones
* GREAT PvP and Arena
* Good emotes

EQ2
* BEST emotes on any MMO. Tons of them and great animation
* Player housing, furniture, and house pets
* Combat linking system
* BEST crafting system (after the patch that toned it down a bit that is)
* Great guild system and customization
* AMAZING website for players and guilds at www.eq2players.com. This was an over-the-top feature that was simply brilliant!
* FREE Webspace for all guilds with amazing and easy to use templates and design setup. Kept track of Guild roster and provided all links needed. Great great feature.
* THE ABSOLUTE BEST forum on the entire internet! Amazing and easy to use formatting! Could do anything. If ya don't believe me check it out HERE

EQ

- Velious (fantastic lore, nature and quests)
- FV-server (RP enforced)
- Getting drunk
- Kelethin (Elf city among the crowns of leaves, and combined with getting drunk = falling down the trees ---> hilarious)
- Bringing your tools to craft trade skills whenever (Though I seem to be the only one missing that)
- Epics
- Religions, all the Gods etc.
- Language system (you had to be exposed - by another player, to a language to learn it)
- That you could do several trade skills on one toon
- Unicorns
- Hill Giants, and other nasty mobs that would aggro on sight (and you would most likely not stand a chance)

EQ2
- The emotes
- The music
- The Guild Recruiting System
- That the name of the crafter was visible on a player-made item.
- The whole getting-your-own-house-and-decorate-it-and-be-a-merchant-concept
- Events on certain days (Christmas, Easter, valentines day. However, would have been even better with made up IG holidays instead)
- Guide Program, with people running around IC and helping anyone who could be lost or just add a role-play dimension to all the stressed people in the harbours.
- The Looking For Group/Crafter-feature

Back