Season 5 What was she really looking for?

I know that Irena says that she was looking for information to help her find "Horizon"...but I don't get why that information would be on the SD cell map. (I do realize that we don't know what "Horizon" is yet)

What I keep going back to was that when Sydney pretended to be Julia Thorne it was because Jack had "programmed" her not to break when being brainwashed. Wouldn't Irena know this, because when she was missing for those two years Jack went to Irena to get help to find Sydney.

I think Irena would have found out that Sydney can't be brainwashed - so why would she think this type of interrogation would work?

This maybe stretching it, but I would think that Irena would have to be very carefull in trying to get information from Sydney and do it in a way where she is not coming right out and asking for the information.
I don't know how she would have done it, but I think she did.

I think it was Jack's programming of Sydney that helped to reason in her head (with Vaughn)...and why she was able to give the wrong answer.

I hope this makes some sense and doesn't come across as rambling.

you are quite right that this technique was totally stupid since Irina knows fine well that Sydney CANNOT be hypnotized in such a way thanks to Jack and his Project Christmas work........however............you seem to be forgetting that Irina is not necessarily helping the Prophet Five guys - maybe she is working to help Sydney undercover with Prophet 5 and since she knows Sydney can fight treatment like that given in the episode then maybe that is why she suggested it......maybe Irina does NOT want them to find The Horizon !!! ;)

just a thought!

true jems ... but Irina was working with that Peyton girl and she knows she is working for Prophet 5 ... so I am not sure Irina doesn't want them to find the location of "the horizon" but I do feel she is really after that herself ... ;)

I was thinking the same thing that maybe Irena was working separately from the Prophet 5 guys...and Peyton, working with Irena, can be explained....Peyton previsouly worked with Gordon Dean, we don't know that she had any other contacts outside of him. With Dean dissappearing, she may have started working with Irena...or maybe she has been working with Irena all along.

There are so many different ways this could go. But, if Irena was trying to help Sydney, why would she keep herself hidden?

Since Irina knew that Sydney is immune to hypnosis, she also knew Sydney would give false intel, neither Peyton nor P5 knew that, so we can assume she is trying to destroy P 5 from the inside, ant that she's been protecting Sydney all along

I think she didn't want to be seen by Sydney because her reactions had to look genuine, which could have been difficult, had Sydney recognized her mother.

Also,Irina's appearance in this episode was meant to come as a big shock, and wondering who was behind the glass helped to built up tension

I like the idea that Irena is working on the inside to bring down P5. That makes alot of sense that she would need to keep herself hidden from Sydney, because she has to put up the front of being against Sydney...and she wouldn't want Sydney to think that she was against her.

Um... I don't think Sydney is immune to hypnosis. Hypnosis and brain washing are not the same...

She was also under hypnosis in "The Indicator" when she found out about Project Christmas. Just like in "The Horizon", she was hypnotised to recover a memory.

Bluebird #47 Posted Dec 24 2005, 04:27 PM
Um... I don't think Sydney is immune to hypnosis. Hypnosis and brain washing are not the same...

She was also under hypnosis in "The Indicator" when she found out about Project Christmas. Just like in "The Horizon", she was hypnotised to recover a memory.

Except I don't think this was hypnosis in the true sense of the word. The doctor used a drug and a mild tasering extract the information (and only after assuring Irina it would not hurt the baby.) It was electronic in its method. Perhaps IRina thot this would overcome Sydey's project Chrismas training. I'm sure she knew Syd could evade brainwashing and even hypnosis. Remember, you cannot be hypnotized if you don't want to be.
;)

Maybe Irina knew that Sydney would give her the wrong location, and she also knows that by the time she is gone, Sydney will manage to escape or be saved. And that was the only way Irina could do it..

She knows that her daugther is smart, she's not dumb.

Back