Season 4 Whatever you find out

V

verdantheart

Well, it’s the 10th episode, and I find myself writing the only the second Spy Dad column of the season. Either I’ve been feeling really lazy this season or we haven’t seen a whole lot of Mr Bristow this season so far. And although laziness is hardly an unusual condition for me--I have a great deal in common with my cat (although she can hold one position a great deal longer than I can!)--I have noticed that Mr Bristow has kept himself markedly in the background.

Could it be that he doesn’t want Sydney to know what he is up to?

Noooooooooooo! Never! I’m sure they have a complete open door policy with one another.

Um, you did notice my <sarcasm> tags, right?

Anyway, this is why Sydney pretty much nearly gets her father killed, right? Because Jack feels that he has to keep things from her and work closely with Sloane. Sydney doesn’t trust Sloane, so she corrupts the decoder disk. Jack gets caught at a crucial moment with said corrupted decoder disk and--ergo--is a spit second from being wiped off the face of the planet when Nadia swoops in and blows the bad guys away--um, Jack-style, if I may say so.

Simple enough. And when Jack says of Sloane, “He knew the decoder disk was a fake; he sold me out,” he knows it isn’t true. He’s already realized what has happened--that Dixon and/or Sydney--probably both--smelled that something was up and switched disks on them. There’s a note of lack of conviction in this speech that isn’t usually present in Jack’s performances. I sense a slight note of tiredness or sadness in it--or perhaps I’m imagining it. But my feeling is a sense of regret that he can’t be united with his daughter in this journey.

It’s Sydney who is chagrined for setting him up and nearly getting her father killed, but Jack merely says, “I’m OK, really. I’ll wait in the car.” She feels guilty for setting him up, endangering his life, for suspecting Sloane when she apparently shouldn’t have . . .

But the fact is that all of this could have been prevented by communication between father and daughter. The fact is that the fathers here are working on some side project that they have cut everyone else out of. Jack feels guilty about this and doesn’t want Sydney to feel guilt--because he believes that she is right to feel suspicious. He doesn’t want to hear her apologies because he believes she has nothing to apologize for.

Leaving Sydney with Nadia also gave the two sisters a chance to work out their disagreements and make their own sort of parallel pact. If the fathers’ pact provides, in part, for the safety of the daughters, perhaps the daughters can work something out for the sake of their fathers. It’s a logical agreement that can work to ensure Jack’s safety as well as Sloane’s. And while Jack might not put a high premium on his life for its own sake, he values it as protection for Sydney’s.

I suspect that it bothers him to work so closely with Sloane and I hope that we will begin to see more of these two and their inner workings. What is it that they are going through, anyway? What would drive Jack to make this bargain? And what the heck are they after? He swore that he would never work with Sloane again, yet here he is. Ah, the $64,000 question (oh, sorry, these days it’s probably the $1 M question--inflation, you know). But, as someone once said . . . “Truth takes time.”

Discuss . . .

Why do you think Jack spent so little time with Sydney after Nadia saved his life, leaving the Sisters to talk it over? Was it mostly about guilt? Or was it more calculated, to give the girls the opportunity to work something out that would benefit his operation with Sloane? Do you think he should have lingered longer?

Do you agree that Jack must have realized what happened when the decoder turned out to be fake? How do you think he felt about that?

What do you think he felt when he saw it was Nadia come to save him instead of Sydney? His expression was a bit blank (I felt “guarded”), not really changed from the reaction to the previous violence. Did he sense an opportunity--or was it something else?

Do you think Jack feels bad about keeping so many secrets from Sydney? How do you think he feels about working with Sloane? Do you think he feels compelled to do so? What sort of thing do you think would motivate him to do this?

Nice column. I have missed the Spydaddy columns.

Why do you think Jack spent so little time with Sydney after Nadia saved his life, leaving the Sisters to talk it over? Was it mostly about guilt? Or was it more calculated, to give the girls the opportunity to work something out that would benefit his operation with Sloane? Do you think he should have lingered longer?

Hmm...I don't know. I thought that Jack sensed that Sydney wanted to speak with Nadia, and he gave them some privacy.

Do you agree that Jack must have realized what happened when the decoder turned out to be fake? How do you think he felt about that?

I don't know. haha..big surprise there. I don't see how he could have figured that Syd and Dixon switched the disks. Maybe he did, and he was playing it up.

What do you think he felt when he saw it was Nadia come to save him instead of Sydney? His expression was a bit blank (I felt “guarded”), not really changed from the reaction to the previous violence. Did he sense an opportunity--or was it something else?

I thought his expression was a bit weird. He seemed kind of out of it. He was hit upside the head a few times so he could have been dazed. I have been trying to figure out if his look meant something other than he was just out of it from the head blows. When Nadia was moving towards him it looked like he was going in and out of consciousness for a second. I don't know what opportunity he could have sensed. Nadia seemed to have noticed that he was looking at her strangely, when she called his name and he didn't respond.

Do you think Jack feels bad about keeping so many secrets from Sydney? How do you think he feels about working with Sloane? Do you think he feels compelled to do so? What sort of thing do you think would motivate him to do this?

I don't think that Jack likes keeping so many things from Sydney. Maybe he just doesn't know any other way. He seemed to be an open and honest guy with his wife, and look what happened. I don't know. I believe that he wants to keep things from Sydney that he believes will harm her physically and emotionally. Maybe he wants to spare her from the same pain and devastation that he suffered from his wife's betrayal. I don't know. I think that he wants to have a close relationship with her, but he doesn't know how to take those steps, maybe. I don't know, haha.

I don't think that he likes working with Sloane. I don't think he fully trusts Sloane. It is just that he needs to work with Sloane for some reason. I think it has to do with the protection of his daughter. Jack has shown over the course of the show that he would do anything and work with anyone to protect his daughter.

Thanks for the column. Enjoyed it. As always, you have a great pulse on ALIAS and its characters, their interactions and relationships. You've given us much to ponder. Looking forward to your next one.

I have noticed that Mr Bristow has kept himself markedly in the background.
he sure has!!! and i miss spy daddy -_-

thisfelt a little weird to be - i guess perhaos you are right in that he didnt want sydney to have to apologise for watching sloane and therefore endangering him - she wasn't to know. it maybe reminded him that he talks little with his daughter and made him sad!? it was interesting that he read the conflict between the sisters though - he knows nadia is imortant to sydney and gave her time to talk.

erm i dont know about this - i must admit i hadnt thought about it until i read you say it verdy - but i guess it makes sense. plus someone in your spy fam column said perhaps sloane and jack set this up to "clear" sloanes name for the future - so if they were setting it up then he would have already known it was a fake (potentially) - i am gonna watch it agian in a minute with my bf who is catching up so will watch this more closely ;)

not sure about this either - i might be back later :smiley:

Hmm isn't this the question of the year - the obvious answer to me is that he is working with sloane to keep an eye on sloane in whatever he is up to - presumably to protect sydney on the ling run. Whatever it is - i am looking forward to finding out (y)

lovely to have a spy dad column - sorry i have nothing to contribute really - i might return after i watch again :smiley:

jems said:
thisfelt a little weird to be - i guess perhaos you are right in that he didnt want sydney to have to apologise for watching sloane and therefore endangering him - she wasn't to know.
[post="1258676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
And, of course, if he and Sloane were trying to create a little "wiggle room," it would only increase his guilt, factor, eh? :P

Hey V, I'm glad you wrote a Spy Dad column.

Why do you think Jack spent so little time with Sydney after Nadia saved his life, leaving the Sisters to talk it over? Was it mostly about guilt?
Sydney hasn't been happy with dear old Dad ever since he told her he killed her mother. Granted his reason: she put a contract out on Sydney's life. Did she? :redhair: Anyway he left the battlefield so the girls could talk.

He knew Sydney brought it back. Jack Bristow is NOT dumb. He knew in an instant he was in deep doo doo and who had precipated his dire straits.

He probably wondered 'what the hell?' because Jack didn't know either girl was near by...then he thought 'Thank goodness! I live to fight another day.' The reaction would have been the same if it had been Sydney.

No I don't think Jack feels bad about keeping secrets from Sydney. He has done it all her life and there's no reason to think he wouldn't do it now. Rambaldi's prediction that Jack would work with Sloane has come around. Still it is probably only because Jack has his own agenda, so he doesn't mind as long as what he wants is completed and I couldn't say whether he is compelled or not.

"But as someone once said...Truth takes time." 
And isn't that the truth...in the meantime, don't we have fun?

:cool:

I believe that, in part, he had been worked over more than we saw, which affected him to the point of tiredness. Also, he's a great reader of character, as by his assessing Nadia's state of mind. He knew that Nadia and Syd needed to talk and gave them the moment.

I truly believed that Sloane suspected it was fake before the spydads went to the meet. I think that Jack debated whether it was Sloane who set him up or just happenstance in the initial moments of realizing it was fake, but it was clear to him when Nadia came in blasting. I think that perhaps he had mixed feelings once he realized what had happened; proud that his daughter could do that, but also sadness that she 'betrayed' him, though she wasn't aware of it.

I think Jack has little regrets about keeping secrets from her. He's kept way too many from her to this point. He would only be concerned if he was keeping a secret that he felt he should, for whatever reason, share with his daughter.
Working with Sloane? He may not loathe it, but I would think that he'd rather not unless it was for a good reason.
Realizing that they have a blackmail list, this could be in the interest of taking down the Trust, perhaps? Or in search of a Rambaldi artifact? Or searching for a 'dead' person? Blackmail list to me sounds like building resources for a project of large proportions or annihalation of specific individuals.

Why do you think Jack spent so little time with Sydney after Nadia saved his life, leaving the Sisters to talk it over? Was it mostly about guilt? Or was it more calculated, to give the girls the opportunity to work something out that would benefit his operation with Sloane? Do you think he should have lingered longer? It could be about guilt. I think Jack feels guilty about lying to Nadia, about what he did to Irina, and how things are with Syd right now. I didn't really see anything calculated about his leaving at that moment. He still seemed a bit off his game and that's unusual for Jack. He probably wanted to get away so he could collect himself. Maybe he did want Syd and Nadia to work things out because he probably figured out that they had a "Sloane's evil again" conversation. Maybe he wants Syd to have a normal relationship with a family member and he knows that he can't have one with Syd right now so he's hoping her relationship with Nadia will make up for it.

Do you agree that Jack must have realized what happened when the decoder turned out to be fake? How do you think he felt about that? I agree with you, V. Jack did see sad and tired when made that speech (also a touch pathetic as well). Of course, I'm one of the few people who actually think that Jack migth have believed that Sloane actually betrayed him - which could explain Jack's sadness/tiredness. He'd been made a fool of again by Sloane. Of course, it's definitely possible that he did figure out that the disk had been switched, most likely by Syd. I really don't think that he thought anyone was coming to his rescue. I think that he thought he was going to die without ever explaining himself to Syd.

Do you think Jack feels bad about keeping so many secrets from Sydney? How do you think he feels about working with Sloane? Do you think he feels compelled to do so? What sort of thing do you think would motivate him to do this? I'm sure that he wishes that he could explain things to Syd and keep her in the loop. Things must be very dangerous for him to keep her at a distance. I have no doubt that Jack's doing this for Syd's protection so she must be in potential grave danger. Only his love for Syd and his desire to protect her would make him work with Sloane.

Back