What's Left of Me

“She’s not my mother… she’s not, she never could be and she never will be. You’re my mother and I’m sorry, I’m so, so sorry I said you weren’t because I don’t believe it! You’re my mother and I love you and you’re the only mother I ever want. I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” Emily choked as she shook her head.
😌

Part 4

The next few weeks, Sydney, Michael and Emily anxiously awaited what was to come. They all just wanted to get the inevitable fight with Alice over with. After speaking with his lawyer, Michael discovered that the chances of Alice receiving visitation rights with Emily were very high, but the chance of a judge granting joint custody would be slim considering Emily’s age and the fact that Alice did sign a waver absolving herself of all parental rights at Emily’s birth. These facts didn’t calm Sydney’s nerves at all since, if she had her way, Emily would never be allowed within twenty feet of Alice ever.

Finally, in the first week of August they heard from Alice’s lawyer informing them of a court date a week away. It was then the true reality of their situation sunk in and they were forced to reveal the situation to their other family members, including their two youngest children. Michael and Sydney had never hid the fact that Emily wasn’t biologically Sydney’s daughter, though neither of the younger children fully understood the situation. Well, Connor hardly understood it at all, but that was because of his age. They were able to explain to Natalie, though, that Emily’s mother had returned and was taking them to court. Natalie, like Emily, questioned why Alice had chosen then to invoke her maternal rights but Sydney and Michael couldn’t answer since they were wondering themselves.

The morning of their court date Sydney was helping Emily pick out what to wear when Michael appeared in the doorway of her bedroom. Both Sydney and Emily looked up at him, knowing he was about to say something. “I…I just wanted to say that I’m sorry, Emily.”

“About what?” Emily asked.

Michael didn’t answer for a moment, but, when he did speak, he did so without looking at Emily. “There are some things… some things I’m going to have to say today that I never wanted you to hear and I’m sorry that you’ll have to hear them,” Michael told her.

“Oh god,” Emily gulped. “Is it about sex?”

Michael couldn’t stop himself from laughing softly at her horrified tone. For once he actually wished it was about sex, for, though embarrassing and potentially traumatic, he feared it wouldn’t have nearly the lasting effects as what he really had to say would. “No, Emily, it’s not about sex,” he told her. Then, he left so she could get ready.

~*~

After dropping their younger two children off with their Uncle Eric, the Vaughn trio made there way to the courthouse. As they walked inside, Emily held tightly to both her parent’s hands, something she hadn’t done in years. The three of them greeted Michael’s lawyer before taking a seat on along bench lining the hallway. Michael’s eyes scanned the crowds of people passing by as they walked, waiting for Alice and her lawyer to come. It was only ten minutes before he saw her appear around a corner walking hand in hand with a man Michael could only assume was her lawyer, though he appeared to be more like a husband.

“Is that her?” Emily asked quietly, clamping her hand tighter around her father’s and mother’s hands.

“Yeah,” Michael answered. Emily stared over at Alice and when Alice caught sight of her, they locked eyes, but only for a moment since Emily looked away.

“We can go in now,” Michael’s lawyer informed them. The three of them stood and Emily walked closely behind her mother as though trying to hide herself from Alice. Michael took a seat at a table with his lawyer in the front of the courtroom while Sydney and Emily sat behind them.

When Alice walked by she eyed Emily closely, but Sydney put a protective arm around her as she stared Alice down. With a proud sniff, Alice followed her lawyer to the table at the opposite side of the room from Michael. It was only a moment or so before the judge cleared his throat and called all of their attention.

Alice’s lawyer, who, as it turned out was also her husband, immediately began informing the judge of their situation. He said that Alice wished to see her daughter, but the Vaughn’s refused to allow it, which was why they were there. After this, the judge turned to Michael and asked if he had anything to say about the situation.

“Yes, I do actually. I was trying to protect my daughter from being hurt by this… woman. Alice abandoned her at birth - before birth! I had a legal contract drawn up so that Alice wouldn’t have an abortion like she wanted to. She had absolutely no desire to even look at her daughter once she was born in fact, if I recall correctly she told me to get ‘that thing’ away from her. I was just trying to protect her from having her heart broken,” Michael said in a sad tone. At his words, Emily choked back tears and buried her face into Sydney’s shoulder. She knew then exactly why her father had apologized to her earlier and wished she hadn’t heard what he said, for, even though she had no feelings towards Alice whatsoever, it still hurt to be called ‘that thing’.

“While I understand your need to protect your daughter, Mr. Vaughn,” the judge began, “that was in the past. Mrs. Thompson wants to get to know her daughter and she has the right to do so. I see no reason why she shouldn’t have visitation rights.”

“The fact that she wanted nothing to do with Emily for fourteen years means nothing?!” Michael asked in horror. The judge appeared to ignore his comment as he assigned the first visitation to be that upcoming weekend, a mere three days away. Then, he dismissed their case.

Alice smiled proudly as she sauntered past Michael and over to Emily, who slipped behind Sydney’s larger frame, hiding herself from view. “Don’t you want to say hi to me, Emily?” Alice asked in a sweet tone, ignoring the look of death Sydney was giving her. Emily said nothing and refused to even look at Alice.

“Leave her alone Alice; she doesn’t want to,” Michael said in a very annoyed tone as he walked up beside his wife and daughter.

“You didn’t even teach her proper manners, Michael. I am disappointed in you,” Alice said. Then, she turned and walked away while calling over her shoulder, “See you Saturday!”

“She’s evil,” Emily managed before wrapping her arms around Michael’s waist and burying her face within his suit jacket.

“I know,” Michael sighed, stroking her hair. He looked over to Sydney, who appeared to be fighting tears, and gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze with his free hand. Then, the three of them went home silently.

Part 5

The moment the Vaughn’s arrived at Eric’s to pick up their children, Eric didn’t even have to bother asking how the court appearance had gone; he could see it on their drawn faces. “Man guys, I am so sorry,” he sighed, clapping Michael on the back. “Why does Alice have to be such a bit-bad person,” he corrected quickly knowing he was in the presence of young ears.

“You were right the first time, Eric,” Emily sighed as she flopped down on his couch, “she’s a bitch.”

“Emily!”

“Well, she is,” Emily muttered.

“Yes, but you still shouldn’t use that word about anyone especially not around your brother and sister,” Michael told him.

“Oh, but she can swear in front of my kid, hmmm?” Eric asked, folding his arms over his chest.

Michael looked around the room. “Chris isn’t even here!”

“Right….anyway, so what’s the deal? Does Alice get to keep Emily now?!” Eric asked.

“SHE GETS TO KEEP HER?!” Natalie screeched, looking horrified.

“NO!” Sydney and Michael said in unison. “Alice just received visitation rights of Emily starting on Saturday,” Michael explained.

“Oh,” Eric and Natalie said together.

“Whatever, can we go please? I just wanna go take a bubble bath or something,” Emily said. They all agreed, said their goodbyes to Eric and then left.

~*~

The next few days were solemn in the Vaughn household. Emily hardly spoke at all and neither of her parents could blame her. They wished she didn’t have to go with Alice especially since she so desperately didn’t want to, but unfortunately they didn’t have a choice. Michael’s lawyer told them that there was a chance to appeal the judge’s ruling, but not until later on, so Emily would still have to go through with the first scheduled visitation.

On Friday night, the eve of Emily’s first meeting with Alice, Sydney and Michael were laying in their bed watching TV after putting their two younger children to bed when they heard a soft knock at their bedroom door followed by Emily’s voice, “It’s me, can I come in?”

“Sure sweetie,” Sydney answered.

Emily walked into the bedroom slowly with her hand over her eyes. “Are you guys dressed?” she asked cautiously. Being the oldest, Emily had the pleasure, or rather the extreme displeasure of being the only child to have caught her parents in the act, so to speak. That was an event none of them wanted to relive or repeat with their younger two children.

“No, obviously we’re naked but we told you to come in anyway,” Michael groaned. Emily removed her hand from her eyes with a shrug before walking over to their bed and sitting on the end of it. They sat in silence for a solid minute until Michael asked softly, “What’s wrong, Honey?”

“Do I really have to go tomorrow?” Emily asked.

“I’m afraid so honey,” Michael said. “But it won’t be that bad…”

“Your father’s right,” Sydney chimed in, trying her best to formulate a lie to make her daughter feel better. “I mean, it’s only a few hours, right?”

Emily gave them a dejected and pained look.

“We’ll buy you something afterwards,” Michael told her.

Emily groaned and crawled up the bed to lay in between her parents. “I don’t want anything, I just don’t want to go,” she sighed.

Sydney and Michael exchanged glances. If Emily was refusing when they flat out offered to buy her something she truly and honestly did not want to go. Sydney sighed, leaned over and kissed Emily’s forehead. “I’m so sorry, Honey… I don’t know what else to say,” Sydney told her.

Emily nodded and squeezed her mother’s hand. “Can I stay here for a little bit?” she asked softly.

“Of course,” Michael told her.

Though Emily had intended to return to her own bed eventually, she ended up falling asleep so Sydney and Michael let her stay the night. In the morning when they woke up they found that all three children were on their bed: Emily in between them, Natalie lying across their feet and Connor tucked in between Emily and Michael’s knees.

“It’s like they have a beacon or something,” Michael laughed quietly to Sydney. She nodded and smiled in agreement. It seemed any time they let one child in bed with them the other two had migrated by morning, except for the one time when it was just the two girls since Connor was stuck in his crib and couldn’t get out.

Slowly, they woke their children and the family of five went downstairs to eat breakfast together. They went through their normal Saturday morning routine, which consisted of Michael playing with Connor and Natalie, Sydney cleaning the house with occasional breaks to play as well and Emily keeping mostly to herself.

Alice was to arrive at twelve thirty p.m. to pick up Emily meaning that Sydney, Michael and Emily were outside waiting for her at twelve twenty. At twelve thirty on the dot Alice’s black Mercedes pulled into the Vaughn’s driveway and Emily immediately backed up into her father’s arms. “Let me stay,” she whimpered quietly. Michael just kissed the top of her head and put his arm around her shoulders.

“Hello everyone,” Alice smiled as she got out of her car, placing her sunglasses atop her head. “Are you ready to go, Emily?”

“Yeah, whatever,” was Emily’s grumbling response as she adjusted her purse on her shoulder.

“Where are you taking her?” Michael asked.

“Oh, I thought we’d just walk around the mall for a few hours. Doesn’t that sound fun?” Alice grinned at Emily. Emily gave her an annoyed look before hugging Sydney tightly and then hugging her father in turn.

“Let’s just get this over with,” Emily muttered as she walked past Alice and opened the passenger door of her car.

Before Alice could return to her car, though, Michael stopped her asking, “Why are you doing this?”

Alice pulled her sunglasses down over her eyes and straightened up her body. “I don’t think that’s a question I should answer without my lawyer present,” she said. Then, she turned and walked back to her car, climbed inside and started the engine. Emily gave her parents a sad wave as Alice backed out of the driveway and sped off down the street.

Michael put his arm around Sydney and the two of them watched Alice’s car until they could no longer see it. Once it had disappeared from view, Sydney rushed inside and called to Natalie and Connor, who had been watching from the window. “Mommy needs a hug, come ‘ere,” Sydney said, sniffing slightly. Natalie hugged her around the waist as Connor climbed up into her arms. Michael joined his family in their hug and they held each other for a few minutes.

“Mommy, where’d Em’ly go?” Connor asked, his voice ringing with innocence.

“Emily went with… with Alice; she’ll be back soon,” Sydney explained.

“Alice Em’ly’s real mommy?” Connor asked. Sydney nodded as a tear rolled down her cheek. “Do I have a real mommy?” he asked.

“Yes Sweetie, I’m your real mommy, I promise you,” Sydney said, kissing his forehead.

“That’s right, Emily’s the only half-breed,” Natalie muttered as she walked away from the group hug.

“Natalie Anne Vaughn, I don’t ever want to hear you say that again,” her father scolded sharply. “That’s not how we talk about people in this family.”

“Sorry,” Natalie said rather sheepishly. “I never think about her that way – I promise. I mean, I didn’t even remember until you guys started talking about that Alice person.”

“Good,” Sydney said as she put Connor down on the ground. “Natalie please watch your brother for a little while, I’m going to go take a long hot shower.”

Natalie nodded and took Connor’s hand, leading him over to his toys. Sydney went to walk up the stairs but, before she could escape, Michael swept her into a hug. “I’ll watch these two; you enjoy yourself,” he told her quietly.

“No,” she said, grabbing onto his shirt. He looked at her curiously. “You’re coming with me,” she explained with a soft smile.

~*~

Almost an hour later, Sydney was wiping the fog off of the bathroom mirror with one hand as she combed through her wet hair with the other. Michael came up behind her, wrapping his arms around his waist, and kissing her neck gently. Sydney let out a soft sigh and leaned her head against his. Being comforted by his arms around her was exactly what she needed right then.

“You know,” Sydney began softly a moment later, “It’s good we can’t get pregnant again or you and I might have just made another baby.” A complication during Connor’s birth had resulted in a c-section and Sydney losing the ability to have another child. That was alright, though, since before Connor’s birth Sydney and Michael had agreed he would be their last child.

Michael laughed softly and moved his kisses to her shoulder. “That’s true… that is how we got Connor, isn’t it?”

“Uh huh,” Sydney said with a grin. Then, she turned around in his arms and gave him a long kiss. “Only another hour, right?” Michael nodded. “You think she’s doing alright?” Sydney asked.

“Probably… well, she’s probably bored out of her mind but I’m sure she’s fine,” Michael told her. Sydney sighed and leaned her head up against his chest, hoping he was right.

-is sad- Poor Emily. I hope Alice doesn't kidnap her or anything. In fact, I hope she acts like a total brat so that Alice never wants to see her again.

Ugh. I can't wait to see how this turns out! Wonderful job!

Those two chapters were great...
I am glad that Emily talked to her parents about
what she was feeling...Wonder how her visit with Alice will go.

I hope AA is cooperating again.

First, I can't believe that judge allowed visitation rights so quickly.
My guess is that Alice's husband, being a lawyer, knows the judge and the judge did what they wanted.
I agree with Michael, why is she doing that?

Poor Emily, she knew Alice was bad, because she didn't want her in the first place, but she found out that she was even worse.

I also hope that Alice isn't trying to kidnap Emily.
I hope that this visit is a one time only visit. Maybe Alice will get tired of being around a kid and not come back.

Alice better bring her home on time and made sure Emily had no fun! Sydney is really feeling depressed by what's happening, she had never thought she would come back and Alice return has turned her world upside down. Really hope she will go away soon!

oy im sorry this site sucks so much guys.... last part

Part 6

“So, Emily… tell me a bit about yourself,” Alice suggested. They had been driving for fifteen minutes in dead silence and Alice was beginning to get uncomfortable in the quiet.

“I’m fourteen and I like pink,” Emily said in an even tone.

“Is that all…?” Alice asked. Emily didn’t respond. “What about school? Do you go to school?”

“Uh, no, it’s summer,” Emily said in an ‘isn’t it obvious’ tone.

“What about in the fall?” Alice asked, her tone beginning to show her annoyance.

“I’ll be in tenth grade,” Emily sighed as she rested her chin against her fist. She checked the clock in the car and saw that they had over an hour and forty five minutes left. Great.

Once at the mall, Alice continued to try to pry information from Emily, but she wouldn’t budge. Emily either wouldn’t answer Alice’s question at all, completely ignoring it, or she’d give a one or two word answer and nothing more. This made Alice increasingly more frustrated to the point where she shouted, “Why are you being this way?!”

Emily retorted with an equally loud, “Why do you care?! You abandoned me when I was a baby!”

Regaining her composure Alice took a deep breath and said in her business-like tone. “That was a long time ago, Emily. I was very interested in my career then.”

“And now you’re not?”

“Well, no… I’m just open to more things,” Alice told her.

“Oh, I see, so it’s more convenient for me to be in your life now. How thoughtful,” Emily said, giving Alice an unappreciative look.

“Listen here, young lady. I’ve had about enough of your attitude,” Alice snapped.

“Whatever…,” Emily said casually. Then, suddenly, Alice grabbed Emily’s wrist and wrenched it painfully as she dragged Emily down a secluded corridor of the mall. Emily gaped at her in shock as she tried to pull her wrist away. “What are you doing?! Let me go!”

“Didn’t your parents ever teach you to be polite?” Alice snapped, squeezing Emily’s wrist a bit tighter.

“Jesus, you’re hurting me! Let me go! I-” but Emily was cut off by Alice slapping her squarely across the cheek. She was too stunned to react for a moment but, finally, when she turned to look at Alice with tears welling in her eyes she saw that Alice had a satisfied smile across her face.

“That’ll teach you to talk back to me. Now, let’s go and have a nice time, shall we?!” Alice said with an almost wry smile before dragging Emily back towards the main mall.

For the rest of their mall outing, Emily walked a few steps behind Alice. She answered Alice’s questions the best she could though the entire time she was trying not to cry. It wasn’t so much the fact that Alice had slapped her it was more the fact she was finally coming to a painful realization: her own biological mother had no loving feelings for her whatsoever. Up until Alice’s appearance on the Vaughn’s doorstep a month earlier Emily had never given her biological mother a second thought. As far as she was concerned, Sydney was her mother in any and every way and she had no need for another mother, especially one who had abandoned her.

Then, after Alice’s arrival, Emily began to wonder what she was like. She was torn. On one hand, she didn’t want to get to know Alice at all; she was satisfied in her life without Alice. Yet, on the other hand, if Alice was truly a good person who genuinely wanted to get to know her, then perhaps having Alice in her life wouldn’t have been a bad thing. Walking through the mall, though, Emily knew that her latter beliefs had been wrong. Alice wasn’t a good person and she definitely wasn’t someone she wanted to know. Emily was hoping desperately that after Alice returned her to her parents she’d never have to see her again.

The second Emily caught sight of her house on their way back, she saw her parents were waiting outside. They stood as Alice’s Mercedes approached and Emily didn’t even let her shut off the engine before she bolted from the car and into her father’s arms begging in a whisper, “Please don’t make me go back,” as her tears began to fall.

“What happened?” Michael asked Alice in an almost menacing tone.

“Don’t use that tone with me, Michael,” Alice said, feigning offense. “Emily and I had a lovely time at the mall. Didn’t we, Emily?”

“No we didn’t!” Emily choked out. “She hit me!”

“WHAT?!” Michael and Sydney gasped in unison. Then, they both looked at Alice who backed away slightly.

“I did nothing of the sort!” Alice defended loudly.

“You did too!” Emily shot back at her. “She slapped me right across here,” she pointed towards her cheek.

“Emily, you shouldn’t make up such lies. Honestly, what kind of parents are you to let your daughter say such things!?” Alice asked Michael and Sydney while she appeared to be revolted by them.

“YOU’RE THE LIAR!” Emily shouted as she ripped herself from Michael’s embrace and approached Alice. She took two steps so that she was standing right beside her, looking directly into her eyes since they were almost exactly the same height. “You slapped me; you left me; you don’t even care about me and I never want to see you again! You’re a horrible person and I hate you!”

With this insult, Alice raised her hand, ready to strike again, but before she could hit Emily, Sydney caught her hand, giving her a death glare. “If you so much as breathe on my daughter ever again, so help me god I’ll-”

“Syd,” Michael cut off his wife’s threat softly. Then, he placed one hand on her shoulder and the other on Emily’s and pulled then back from Alice slowly. Only then did Sydney release Alice’s hand. Taking a deep, calming breath, Michael turned to Alice and said, “Alice, we don’t hit our children. I would have expected the same from you but, clearly I was mistaken. I’ll be calling my lawyer on Monday and asking for the custody visits to be revoked.”

Alice said nothing. After staring at them for another moment she turned, walked back to her car, climbed inside and drove away with a loud screeching of her tires. Once she was gone, both Emily and Sydney turned around and hugged Michael tightly. “I am so, so, so sorry, Emily,” Michael sighed into the top of her head. “You never have to go near Alice again, I promise.”

“Thanks,” Emily said, her voice slightly hoarse. Then, she looked up at her father and asked softly, “Dad… why were you ever with her? I mean…she’s… she’s so…,” Emily let her voice drift off, unable to come up with the appropriate term but thinking she was so so different than Sydney was.

“Well… when I was with Alice I was a different person, but I can assure you that Alice was never like that when we were together. I mean she wasn’t nearly as-”

“Psychotic?” Emily offered.

Michael laughed softly. “Yes, but I was going to use ‘mean.’”

Emily smiled, stood up on her tiptoes and kissed her father on the cheek. “I love you, Dad.”

“I love you too, Sweetie. Now let’s go get your brother and sister and we can go out to dinner wherever you want – it’s totally up to you,” Michael told her with a smile.

“Awesome!” Emily grinned. She definitely loved her family.

thanks for reading everyone and thanks to the betas as always :hug:

new fic tomorrow - Shades of Blue :smiley:

Dude Alice seriously needs to be beaten or hit by a bus. She freakin hits Emily and then blatantly denies it to Michael acting like Emily is the one to blame. I wanted Syd to smack her around some.
Great ending to an awesome fic!

Oh Alice is a idiot
who hots their child on the first day they meet them
wait let me rephrase who hots their child
shes an idiot
so glad emily will never have to see her again
ohh i was sooooooooooo waiting for syd to hit her
whyd michale have to stop her

Man, I would have kicked ALice right back. I once kicked my mom when she smacked my arm. hahaha. Mess with me, I mess right back! yeah!

this was a cute story, thanks for sharing. And I am SUPER excited for shades of blue, it sounds really good.

Now we know how Alice gets ahead in business. Just like with Emily. She strikes. Beating those around her in submission. Then makes it look like those people are the ones who are lying and she's the innocent one. Looking into the future, Alice's husband is sure in for a rude awakening.

I'm sure once the judge hears that Alice is abusive, visitation rights would be revoked.

Great ending!

Chris

Wonderful ending. Stupid Alice. How do you slap a child that isn't even yours?! How do you slap a child at all?! Spanking a child, maybe I could understand (except when she's fourteen!) but not slapping a child. If I were Michael, I would have just let Sydney slap her. But then there a bunch of legal issues with that. Anyway, Wonderful job. Great ending! I love it.

Back