What's Left of Me

“Sydney,” he said softly. He slid over on the couch so that their legs were touching and he took her two hands in his. “Do… do you want to be Emily’s mother?” he asked cautiously.

Cool... now Em has a real mummy :love:

How many chapters left? It's so sweet, can it go on for longer than that???????? (whatever there is left that is...) :lol:

We should thank Eric and Dr. Seuss for getting the ball rolling.

Then, love Emily for asking Sydney to be her mother.

Thankfully, Vaughn went with the moment and proposed.
It's good that he told Sydney that he was already planning to ask her so
she knew he wasn't pressured by Emily's question to her.

Like someones else said, he could give her the ring for Christmas.
Sydney and Emily could both help him pick it out.

Chapter 27

After holding Sydney for a few more minutes, Michael gave her one more long kiss before slipping away, needing to talk to Emily about something very important. He found her in her room trying to cram her Dr. Seuss book back on her bookshelf. Michael helped her put it away before picking her up and sitting down on her bed with her in his lap. “Emily, sweetie, you know what you just said to Sydney about her being your mommy?” he asked. Emily nodded. “Well, do you know what it would mean if Sydney was your mommy?”

“Yeah, she’d be my mommy and she’d play with me and she’d make me cookies,” Emily said.

Michael couldn’t help but smile at her description. “Sydney being your mommy would also mean she’d move in here with us. She’d be here all the time and sometimes she’d spend all day with you and you’d have to listen to what she said, okay?”

“Okay… can Sydney be my mommy now?” Emily asked.

Michael laughed softly and nodded his head. “Yes, she can. Why don’t you go tell her?”

Emily squealed happily and ran out of her room and back across the house, to where Sydney was sitting in the family room, dabbing her eyes with a tissue. “Guess what! Guess what!” Emily shouted as she jumped up on Sydney’s lap. “Daddy said that you can be my mommy, isn’t that great?!”

“It’s wonderful,” Sydney said, gathering up Emily in her arms.

“Why are you crying?” Emily asked, noting the moisture on Sydney’s cheeks. “Don’t you want to be a mommy?”

“No, no Sweetie… of course I want that! I want that more than anything. I’m crying because I’m happy,” Sydney told her.

“You can cry when you’re happy?! I didn’t know that!” Emily exclaimed.

Sydney laughed, leaned in and kissed the little girls’ cheek. “I love you so much, Emily.”

“I love you too, Mommy,” Emily smiled. Then, when her father entered the room she looked up at him and said, “Wait’ll school on Monday! I’m gonna tell everyone I got a mommy over the weekend!”

Sydney and Michael couldn’t help but laugh over this. Michael was about to say something but was interrupted by the doorbell ringing. “Oh no, that’s Eric… felgercarb, I totally forgot,” he moaned. Sydney gave him a curious look and Michael explained further, “Well, Eric was going to go engagement ring shopping with me this afternoon… hold on,” he sighed and headed off in the direction of the front door. Sydney stood up with Emily on her hip and followed him.

“Dude, dude, you ready to go – oh HEY SYDNEY,” Eric said, his voice turning from a hushed one to an overly loud obnoxious one. “How are you?”

“Um… good…,” she said slowly, trying not to laugh at Eric’s peculiar behavior.

“That’s good! So, Mike, are we, um, going to go shop for the um… ducks,” he said with a ridiculously overdramatic wink.

Michael looked over at Sydney with a helpless look and she couldn’t help but laugh. “Well, thank you Eric for being subtle, but actually,” Michael paused to put his arm around Sydney’s shoulder. Before he could speak again though, Emily squirmed down from Sydney’s arm and rushed over to her uncle shouting,

“Eric, guess what?! I got a mommy!”

“You did?” Eric asked with a laugh before looking back up to Sydney and Michael.

Michael grinned as Sydney slipped her now free arms around him. “Sydney and I are engaged, Eric,” he said. Just saying those words gave him a warm, fuzzy feeling.

“Aw, that’s great! But dude, Mike, you’re supposed to get the ring before you ask her!”

“Yes, thank you,” Michael said with a slight eye roll. “But it was… a spur of the moment thing just ten minutes ago.”

“That’s great you guys, congratulations,” Eric said before hugging them each in turn. “So, I guess this mean’s we’re not going ring shopping now… aw man, I was all ready to talk down some hoity-toity ring salesmen too…,” he said in a dejected manner.

Taking pity on Eric, Sydney turned to Michael and said, “You can still go – I mean, don’t let the fact that you’d be buying something for me influence you at all… what I meant was, I’ll stay here with Emily if you want to go.”

“Um, yeah okay, just gimmie one second, Eric,” Michael said. Then he took Sydney’s hand and pulled her back into the kitchen while Emily and Eric stayed in the foyer. Sydney gave Michael a confused look as he beamed at her and placed his hands on her hips. “I want you to move in here,” he said.

“Really?” Sydney asked in surprise (good surprise).

Michael nodded. “Yeah, definitely. I mean… I don’t want to wait any longer for you to be in Emily’s life full time. I know my mother will probably give me a lecture about pre-marital living together but I don’t really care. I want you to be here and I really think it’s best for Emily too.”

“You’re trying to make me cry again, aren’t you?!” Sydney sniffed as she rubbed her left eye with her fist. Michael laughed softly, leaned in and kissed her softly. Then he gave her a questioning look. “I’d love to move in here, as long as you’re sure.”

“Definitely sure. I’ll tell you what – I’ll ride with Eric and then you can take my car and the car seat and take Emily back to your apartment and she’ll help you pack… Okay well, help may be a stretch but…,” he let his voice trail off as he laughed.

“Boy, when you mean something, you really mean it!” Sydney exclaimed with a laugh at the fact that he was really jumping on the moving in together concept. Not that she minded, of course; she wanted to live with them full time as well. Michael’s answer to her came in the form of a long kiss; he pulled her body up against his with his fingertips on her hips.

“Jesus guys, you’re going to scar your kid,” Eric said, his voice indicating disgust. Sydney and Michael broke their kiss and looked over to him to see that he had his hand covering Emily’s eyes.

“Eric, stop that,” Michael said as he batted his hand away from Emily’s eyes. Then, he crouched down beside her. “I’m going shopping with Uncle Eric, okay sweetie? You’re going to stay with Sy-Mommy,” he corrected quickly, before flashing Sydney a grin. She grinned back at him.

“YAY Mommy!” Emily squealed and ran over to hug her around the knees. Sydney smiled down at her, running her fingers through Emily’s hair.

After the boys left, Sydney called her parents to inform them about the engagement and moving in to Michael’s house. Though her father wasn’t overly thrilled about them living together before they were married, both parents could recognize that the fact that their daughter was indisputably happy, which made them happy as well. Once she hung up the phone, Sydney gathered Emily up and took her out to Michael’s car so that the two of them could go over to her apartment and begin the seemingly grueling task of organizing and moving her belongings.

As Sydney was working on throwing out junk she knew she’d never need again and wondered why she even had, she noticed that Emily was being awful quiet, so she went to investigate. When she found her in her bedroom, she laughed out loud. It appeared Emily had gone through her laundry basket for she was wearing a vastly oversized bra overtop of a tank top with a slip around her waist and a pair of underwear atop her head. “Look Mommy!” Emily grinned.

Sydney crouched down beside her with another laugh. “I see you…what are you doing exactly?”

“Playing dressup! ‘s funner than with Daddy’s clothes,” she explained with a smile.

Sydney laughed at the mental image of Emily attempting to wear one of Michael’s shirts, which she obviously would have been swimming in. She then reached for her digital camera and instructed Emily to pose so they could amuse Michael with her appearance later. Then, after the picture was taken, Sydney removed her laundry from Emily and gave her some scarves to entertain herself with while she packed.

~*~

“Hello?!” Michael called when he walked into his house carrying a pizza over his shoulder.

“Back here!” Sydney called from her spot in the kitchen. Michael walked back towards the sound of her voice and, when he caught sight of Sydney and Emily sitting on the floor of the kitchen he nearly dropped the pizza from pure shock. Apparently, Sydney had allowed Emily to play with her make up.

“Daddy, aren’t I pretty?!” Emily smiled with her overly large lipstick covered smile.

“You’re beautiful,” he said, laughing softly.

Sydney pulled up Emily’s ‘dress up’ picture on her camera and showed Michael. “She was already playing dress up so I figured why not let her get it all out of her system,” she said with a slight shrug.

“Wow, look at that,” Michael laughed at the picture. Then, he leaned over and kissed Emily’s forehead, which was the only makeup-free part on her. “You’re adorable.”

“Thank ‘ou,” Emily grinned.

“Come on Em’s, let’s go wash your face,” Sydney said, reaching for the little girl’s hand.

After doing a major lipstick, blush and eye shadow removal from Emily, the two of them returned to the kitchen to find Michael setting the dinner table. Sydney walked up behind him and wrapped her arms around his back. “I moved some of my stuff,” she said softly as she rested her chin on his shoulder.

He turned his head and kissed her. “Excellent. Oh, I almost forgot,” he paused to dig a black jewelry case from the pocket of his jeans. “Here,” he presented it to her with a smile.

Sydney gave a giddy little giggle and she took the box from his hand and opened it. “Oh Michael, I love it,” she sighed at the sight of the white gold solitary diamond engagement ring. Michael removed it from the box and slid it on her finger before kissing her.

“Mommy, what’d you get?” Emily asked. Sydney lowered her hand and showed Emily her ring. Emily seemed uninterested and she looked up at Michael to ask, “Wha’d I get?”

Michael laughed. “Well, you got this!” he said before using his hand to tickle her tummy, causing her to laugh hysterically. Sydney watched them with a huge grin on her face as she squeezed her hand tightly around her engagement ring; this was definitely the best day of her life.

only 1 more chap of the regular fic...then the 6 chapter afterward :smiley:

SWEET
That was so cute drssups was awesome
but vaughn givin her the ring i mean cmon vaughn put someeffort not just a 'here'

this was so cute again... i aqm glad emily took to calling syd mommy right away. yayyy

it's way too perfect right nowand there is still a 6 part afterwards. there will be some minor angst or what not with emily like, hating syd at some point or emily's real mother showing up, isn't there?

If ever Michael Vaughn would happen to ask me to marry him I think I'd be out of my mind too!!!!!!!!!!!" :lol:

So :love: how excited Em's was about her having a mummy now!!!!!!!!!!

Such a cute update

Back