Politics what's more honorable

Osiris

Cadet
first scenerio: a guy is walking down a path and finds a wallet. without hesitation, he brings it to the police station and hands it in to an officer.

second scenerio: a guy is walking down a path and finds a wallet. he opens it up looks in it, but then decides that it doesn't belong to him and brings it to the station.

question: which one is more honorable?

On first glance, I'd say the first, however you could say the second as he didn't give into temptation, and came through right. Then again the first man was not at all tempted by the prospect of it. And so in the sense of blind honour, he would be.

Personally, I would open it, look to see if there was a contact number. If there wasn't I'd phone the police to say I'd found a wallet, and for them to get back to me if someone tried to find it, as when you hand something in, it's easy for corrupt officers or receptionists or whatever to just get a friend to come in and claim it. So yeah. And yes, I do always hand wallets in, which, alarmingly, shocks many of my friends. *shakes head*

Jai :rain:

definitely the second.

it's just like that parable of the lost sheep that Luke speaks of in his gospel. the shepherd has 100 sheep and one is lost. he goes out to find that one sheep and is rejoiced upon finding it.

similarly, it is far better for someone who is tempted to turn away from sin rather than to live am honourable life without that temptation or trial.

I think that they are both the right thing to do. The second one just shows common sense. Because the wallet might belong to someone he knows or has a information on how to get a hold of the owner, so you dont have to bother with the police. You might be able to the wallet back to the owner quicker than the police.

the temptation to examine its contents is human and natural
if you twisted the scenario to say that there were $1000
cash, and the walker still turned it in without taking anything
then the latter is the more honorable
you could on the other hand,
argue that not looking at the contents of the wallet
in the first place would have been more honorable...

I would say second because the way it's put he could have seen a thousand dollars in it but then decided no it's not his and gave it to the police. (y)

ConcreteGirl said:
I think that they are both the right thing to do.  The second one just shows common sense.  Because the wallet might belong to someone he knows or has a information on how to get a hold of the owner, so you dont have to bother with the police.  You might be able to the wallet back to the owner quicker than the police.
[post="1378754"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Exactly. It would be silly to bring the wallet to the police, who open it up and find that it has the contact number of the person inside of it.

Back