Whats the worst book you ever read!?

Did You Finish The WORST Book You Ever Read?

• Yes, Barely, I had to reread my favorite right afterward tho.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Nope, Tossed it and never looked back.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No, but I still try from time to time

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Never read a bad one.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Tom

An Old Friend
List the Worst book you ever read and Why it was so bad. Then vote the poll.

mine: GODSPAWN-Too slow because it is overly descriptive, Theres nothing happening and I tried skipping forward a couple chapters and lose the whole story.
I'm still trying to read it but I keep telling myself to delete it.

The only book in recent memory that I just couldn't finish was The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King. Now my friends & family all know that I can go through a King book like it was water and he's also the only author that I buy only the hardback versions of but I just could not get through this one.

I tried convincing myself that it was because the style of the book was not the usual horror type story from King but that arguement doesn't work because King also brought us stuff like The Green Mile which I loved. So, I don't know... it just wasn't holding my attention long enough to finish it.

I used to read every book I had started to the very end, but now that I undestood that I just loose time instead of reading something that really could fit me I gave up. If I find the book bad I usually try to read it for about 50-100 pages... I can't remember any at the moment, most of them were not English-speaking (speaking? can a book speak? ;) ) but my ordinary statistics is 80-85 % Russian to 15-20% English books.

I can't even remember the title of the worst book or what it was about. I've tried to read many dire offerings occasionally being severly disappointed by an author who's work I would automatically pick up.

don't remember the name of it, but it was a bad scifi novel.. with graphic, multiple-partner sex.. needless to say, i threw it away before reading to much of that smutt.

I like Steven King but I could not get through Kujo. I liked The Girl Who Love Tom Gordon, I guess because I like books about the wilderness and such.

Tom Jones by Henry Fielding is my least favorite book. I say is because I still haven’t finished it yet. It has its admirable attributes as a precursor to the modern novel, but I find it to be a very dull book. It's not just the older, modern, English language that it is written in that makes it dull but also the story that I find boring. It's kind of like a soap opera for people who live in England back in the early to mid 18th century. It was published as a serial work just like a lot of Charles Dickens’s books were written. Anyhow take care and have a good day. David

P.S. Here is a link about Fielding and his works: Henry Fielding - Wikipedia

There are many books that I have tried to read, and couldn't finish. I am not sure which is the worst, so I will go with the most recent I have tried to read, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I have respect for the woman and the philosophy she created (even though I don't entirely agree with it), but trying to read this novel was like spending the day in the dentist's chair, having root canals performed on all of your teeth.
icon13.gif

seeker of truth said:
trying to read this novel was like spending the day in the dentist's chair, having root canals performed on all of your teeth.
icon13.gif

Kimberly, I felt the same way about poetry, ANY poetry, until I had to take a class in poetry in college. Luckily I had an excellent teacher who was passionate about the subject, and he changed my mind. The hard part of poetry is trying just to UNDERSTAND it , especially Shakespeare. But like I said, with a good teacher attitudes can be changed.:rolleyes:

i've heard that phrase used numerous times at the college i keep going to, to pick up paperwork.

i normally hear it from students in english classes complaining that the book(s) they have to read for the qualification are too hard to understand. push them further and they admit the only book they have ever read in their life was the aforementioned book report book!!!!!

we all have to read books out of our chosen genre from time to time, if only to affirm that the other genres is not compatible with our expectations!!!!

A horrible book that I HAD to read in high school was The Bridge Over San Luis Rey......needless to say I didn't finish it and had to *gasp* resort to reading the Cliff's Notes. I don't think I've ever read a SciFi book I didn't like....hmmm...:P

~
Brad

Back