What's your desktop photo?

Royce

Cadet
I've always been curious about this so... Find your desktop background and post it here.

Here's mine. It's the m51 set of galaxies. M51's companion NGC 5195 (the small one). Or to be more exact NGC 5194 and NGC 5195.

M51 Galaxy, known as The Whirlpool Galaxy, is a bright spiral galaxy fairly close to us (7.5 Megaparsecs = 25 million light years). To the left is a companion galaxy which is being disrupted by the gravitational tidal forces of the main galaxy.

New pictures from the Hubble telescope are giving astronomers a detailed view of the Whirlpool galaxy's spiral arms and dust clouds, which are the birth sites of massive and luminous stars. This galaxy, also called M51 or NGC 5194, is having a close encounter with a nearby companion galaxy, NGC 5195. The companion's gravitational influence is triggering star formation in the Whirlpool, as seen by the numerous clusters of bright, young stars [highlighted in red].

I keep my favorite videogame villain of all time on my desktop.

http://www.lunar-net.com/merchandise/allth...leonBromide.bmp

I know this picture doesn't make him seem very evil, but that's because he's not. He isn't just another inherently evil stereotype who wants to rule/destroy the world just for the hell of it, but rather a psychologicaly complex character who does horrible things in the name of his own gross misperception of justice. He's the most interesting character I've ever seen in a game, or anywhere for that matter. That's why he's my wallpaper.

Galleon is awesome! The Lunars are 2 of my favorite games. Ok, so how do I post my wallpaper w/o having it hosted somewhere, or is that not possible?

Just click the IMG code button at the top of the text entry screen and input the URL where you originally found the image, or another URL that leads to it. It might not accept it though. That's why I just linked to mine.

Ah damn...yea, that won't work. My desktop is a picture I took in Hawaii, which I also recently entered into a photo contest. I entered 4 total, it was one of them...I'll attempt to describe...

Well it was taken on black sand beach, but there are lots of black lava rock formations. One of these jutted out into the water, almost like a bridge that doesn't lead anywhere...So I took a picture of that bridge w/ 2 random people standing on it, with waves crashing into the side of the lava rock. It's pretty neat, most beautiful place I've ever been to.

Just attach the photo itself to the post, when posting look down and see "File Attachment". If it's a Jpeg, this forum will auto display it.

Max size is 4.88. I took mine and shrunk it down to 8x10.

Originally posted by Diem@Apr 28 2006, 04:48 PM
Sorry...that was a bit big... dunno didn't look nearly that large in the photo editor and it said it was 5 x 6...
Pixels are a huge deal. (a.k.a DPI)

Your photo is 1600 x 1200 pixels at a rez of 180 dpi.

Standard Internet is 72 dpi (or 96 now). Photo quiality (for me at least) is 300 dpi. Which can be framed if printed on a good printer.

Had you dropped the DPI down to say, 96 or 72, It would have fit perfect.

Overall, a 640 x 480 photo fits well on this site.

Still, that's a cool photo!

Originally posted by HJ-Royce+Apr 28 2006, 05:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HJ-Royce @ Apr 28 2006, 05:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Diem@Apr 28 2006, 04:48 PM
Sorry...that was a bit big... dunno didn't look nearly that large in the photo editor and it said it was 5 x 6...
Pixels are a huge deal. (a.k.a DPI)

Your photo is 1600 x 1200 pixels at a rez of 180 dpi.

Standard Internet is 72 dpi (or 96 now). Photo quiality (for me at least) is 300 dpi. Which can be framed if printed on a good printer.

Had you dropped the DPI down to say, 96 or 72, It would have fit perfect.

Overall, a 640 x 480 photo fits well on this site.

Still, that's a cool photo! [/b][/quote]
And here's the exact info on your photo. Detailed form.

Wow...how did you get all those tech specs? Guess I need to learn more huh? I'm starting to get into photography more, just got Photo Shop recently (Don't have it at work) and I now have a 7 megapixel Xlim...Ideas thoughts? Thanks for all the advice Mr. Royce I'm always hungry for knowlege so anything else would be great!

I'll just post my desktop, thats always funner. I also saw a lot of space backgrounds. I really like those, and that was an awsome looking picture Arremus!

I love the RX-7. Respectably before Fast and the Furious.

Wow! that is one cluttered desktop!

Mine has been worse before, but I've learned long ago to clean up.

Great shots so far! Keep it up gang. I like these views.

frozzdesktop.jpg

Here's my desktop at work. It is a picture of King Island, Alaska, where my native people are from (I'm only 1/4 native, but native nonetheless! :smiley:). It is approximately 90 miles west of Nome. I resized it slightly, but I didn't want ya'll to miss out on the pretty houses. I'll actually be heading up there with my birth mother next year to see the island.

kingisland.gif

Frozz

Back