What's your major?

What's your major and how did you come about choosing it? What schools would you recommend for that particular major? Or what sites would you recommend to view ratings for that particular major at a paritcular school?

Note: I don't know if this topic is already up - I don't think I saw it when I looked, but if it is up already, anyone is welcome to delete it.

I'm asking this because I'm trying to decide where would be best if I were to go into an International relations major...

I'm a political science major. Right now I'm deciding between International Relations or American Politics (leaning towards the latter though).

I must say that for an undergraduate degree, as long as they offer appropriate courses it doesn't really matter where you go. Graduate school is what matters.

The best graduate schools for a degree in International Relations are the usual...Harvard, Stanford, Duke, Princeton...etc. The Ivy leaguers. Columbia, George Washington University, NYU, Vanderbilt, and Villanova also offer good programs.

I'm hoping to attend either Duke, George Washington University, or NYU for my graduate work...but we'll see.

Hope this helps some ^_^

I'm a Biology major. With a psychology minor. But I'm not absolutely positive about it. i'm thinking of going to UCLA med school to become a pediatrician or something like that ... :-\
I'm pretty uncertain for now though because I only just became a sophmore ... and I don't have much experience in .. anything really.

Jamison said:
I'm a political science major.  Right now I'm deciding between International Relations or American Politics (leaning towards the latter though).

I must say that for an undergraduate degree, as long as they offer appropriate courses it doesn't really matter where you go.  Graduate school is what matters.

The best graduate schools for a degree in International Relations are the usual...Harvard, Stanford, Duke, Princeton...etc.  The Ivy leaguers.  Columbia, George Washington University, NYU, Vanderbilt, and Villanova also offer good programs.

I'm hoping to attend either Duke, George Washington University, or NYU for my graduate work...but we'll see.

Hope this helps some ^_^
[post="1420028"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

actually that does help. if i stay in state to get my bachelors, my credits can transfer from a dual credit program im in, and thats two years less for me. if i go out of state, i may have to start from the beginning to get a bachelors. an out of state school that im looking into, georgetown, seems to have a really good international relations program, but they only accept up to four courses. my parents think its a good idea for me to stay instate and get my bachelors, then go out of state and get a masters at some good school. im starting to consider that path now too...despite my initial disagreement...*sighs*

(of course...money is also a major factor...@_@)

UCLA...heh...everytime i think of that school...Alias!!!

Psychology major with a women's studies minor. Will be going to grad school to get a masters in social work/welfare. Looking at Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia, and NYU.

A lot of different universities have excellent psychology programs. Unfortunately, my school (Marquette) isn't one of them. All the usual Ivy League schools and Stanford, NYU, Northwestern, etc have great psych programs. But with a psych major, nothing really matters until grad school - since it's very hard to do much of anything with just a BA or a BS in psych. You need at least a masters, but a psy.d or ph.d is preferable.

Moonlite Star said:
actually that does help. if i stay in state to get my bachelors, my credits can transfer from a dual credit program im in, and thats two years less for me. if i go out of state, i may have to start from the beginning to get a bachelors. an out of state school that im looking into, georgetown, seems to have a really good international relations program, but they only accept up to four courses. my parents think its a good idea for me to stay instate and get my bachelors, then go out of state and get a masters at some good school. im starting to consider that path now too...despite my initial disagreement...*sighs*

(of course...money is also a major factor...@_@)

UCLA...heh...everytime i think of that school...Alias!!!
[post="1428531"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'm glad I was of some help! :smiley:

I'm really glad I decided to stay instate for my undergraduate work. I, for one, wasn't really ready to go 10 hours away from home to go to school. It's nice being close. Plus it is significantly cheaper.

And it's so much better if you change your major or something like that. It would make me absolutely sick if I were going to Duke right now, spending all that money and then deciding that I wanted to change my major...I'd feel stuck. This way, if I decided to change my major back to elementary education (which I highly doubt will happen) it wouldn't be such a big deal...there's more room to be flexible.

It's also nice to go to an instate school to ease into the college experience.

I think it's a good way to go ^_^

Back