What's your opinion on piracy?

No question avaiable to import.

• Hell yea! Bring on the pr0n, warez, and dvd's!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well I do it sometimes

• I dunno...

• No! Its morally wrong

• I work for the government! Hand it over foo's!

• Total voters
F

frostydf2

Well tell me what your opinion on piracy is. Should it be allowed, are you against it?

I for one am for it, I love stealing ;)

So many people do it, that it's almost never going to stop. The only time I buy a game is if its badass (Elder Scrolls:Oblivion) or is an MMO.

It's true, they'll never be able to stop it.

There is no way they will ever be able to control the internet, it is the one place you can almost completely actually be free, and that is why it is so addicting.

They try to enforce rules, but there was piracy before the internet, and there is no way they are ever going to be able to stop it.

In real life, people steal because it is a thrill, but they steal online because it's convenient, and they figure there is no way they will get caught.

I am for it because it doesn't directly effect me, though if I were some rich bastard who made a movie or sold a million CD's and I wanted to become richer I'm certain it would piss me off. Fortunatly, I'm a meager middle class peon. (Geez, never thought I'd say that sentance in my life :confused: )

if we could change china, we could change piracy. that is where like 90%(made up percentage, but its like 50% fairly accurate) of piracy originates.

KILL CHINA=KILL PIRACY

lol

KickinBama

Originally posted by Kickinbama@Apr 21 2006, 10:17 AM
if we could change china, we could change piracy. that is where like 90%(made up percentage, but its like 50% fairly accurate) of piracy originates.

KILL CHINA=KILL PIRACY

lol

KickinBama
And the other 50% would be ... Russia?

P.S. - take the last "/" out of your sig to make it work!

Arr! *waves around cutlass* I be plunderin' all manner o' snes, nes, gba, genesis, and neo geo pocket games thanks to me emulations!

Why? I'm too lazy and too cheap to hunt down rare titles in real life, then buy them for craploads of money. Even worse, a lot of crazy oldschool goodies never made it stateside. Luckily some nice folks have the dedication and passion to translate good
titles and give them out freely on the internet. I pirate emulated stuff as a means to get
access to games that would usually be near impossible to find, some of which impossible to find in English.

Originally posted by volund@Apr 22 2006, 02:43 AM
Arr! *waves around cutlass* I be plunderin' all manner o' snes, nes, gba, genesis, and neo geo pocket games thanks to me emulations!

Why? I'm too lazy and too cheap to hunt down rare titles in real life, then buy them for craploads of money. Even worse, a lot of crazy oldschool goodies never made it stateside. Luckily some nice folks have the dedication and passion to translate good
titles and give them out freely on the internet. I pirate emulated stuff as a means to get
access to games that would usually be near impossible to find, some of which impossible to find in English.
I agree, I used to do the same. However, just like other addictions that people might have, mine lead to bigger things over time.

I always thought it was ok to emulate a system after it became old enough to where it was considered 'abandonware' but after some research I guess that is not the case. Nintendo actually considers each and every one of its old games intellectual property and continues to sell them again and again. Only if you own the original and you have the capability to rip the ROM off the game directly can you make a ROM, and never are you allowed to download it off the internet. The person providing the ripped ROM never had the rights to distribute it in the first place. Today, most new video games specifically say you are NOT allowed to back up the game for your own use, either. Honestly the laws suck for the end user but you know your rights when you buy it. I dabbled in emulation when I was in highschool but I've gotten out of it now that I'm older, I dont own any ROMS any longer and don't plan to in the future.

Originally posted by Silver001@Apr 22 2006, 12:31 PM
I always thought it was ok to emulate a system after it became old enough to where it was considered 'abandonware' but after some research I guess that is not the case. Nintendo actually considers each and every one of its old games intellectual property and continues to sell them again and again. Only if you own the original and you have the capability to rip the ROM off the game directly can you make a ROM, and never are you allowed to download it off the internet. The person providing the ripped ROM never had the rights to distribute it in the first place. Today, most new video games specifically say you are NOT allowed to back up the game for your own use, either. Honestly the laws suck for the end user but you know your rights when you buy it. I dabbled in emulation when I was in highschool but I've gotten out of it now that I'm older, I dont own any ROMS any longer and don't plan to in the future.
Doesn't it suck sometimes to be in law enforcement? Almost everything is illegal now days.

I don't mind being held to a higher standard. Frankly, I find it good for me to have that additional weight on my shoulders, it keeps me out of trouble. I'm plenty happy following the laws and my life isn't suffering any because of it.

Back