When did Jack become a double?

I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this on, but I've been wondering this for a while. When did Jack decide to betray Sloane. I think they worked together at CIA, and Jack says theyve been working together for 30 yrs. Did CIA send him there in the first place or did he decide to be a double?

I believe Jack was a double from the start. However, I'm not sure.

They both were part of the Alliance around when it was formed.

Moving to the Jack Bristow forum.

Jack became a double when he was recruited out of the CIA into SD-6 in 1982 by Sloane (per online dossier). ABC's info doesn't indicate the date when Sloane left the CIA, but I suspect it would not have been long before. I think Sloane wanted Jack and a few trusted associates to help him create SD-6.

verdantheart said:
Jack became a double when he was recruited out of the CIA into SD-6 in 1982 by Sloane (per online dossier). ABC's info doesn't indicate the date when Sloane left the CIA, but I suspect it would not have been long before. I think Sloane wanted Jack and a few trusted associates to help him create SD-6.
yeah.. maybe a inheriter.. just in case something happens to him...

I think Jack was probably still working at the CIA when Sloane approached him to join him at SD-6. Since Jack was probably fresh out of prison at the time, Sloane may have thought Jack would be disillusioned with the CIA and would be a good candidate. Jack may have asked to think it over for a short time before making his decision, then immediately reported it to the CIA. Wanting a well-placed mole inside SD-6, they told him to go ahead. That's my theory, anyway.

I think was still working for the CIA when he was recruite and acted as a double agent from the start. he is not evil. he has too good a sense of justice. Altho he follows his own rules, he does it to bring down sd6

Hmmm. . . I don't know if I agree with you guys. :thinking:

I mean, it could be that Jack's double-agency was set up right from the moment he joined Sloane at SD-6, but then there is that justification he gave to Sydney at the beginning of "The Confession" last season: when she asked him why he never told her the truth about SD-6, he says, "Admitting the truth about what you were doing would have meant admitting the truth about what I was doing."

But then also, there is his friendship with Devlin. Apparently, he's been friends with Devlin for decades, so it might be hard to believe that Jack would betray him and the U.S. and then just come back years later and say I'm sorry. :ermm:

See!? I don't know! :(

Betha Bristow said:
answer given in season finale (that is, if you're still wondering)
You mean his answer to "When did we stop being friends?"? I would need confirmation before I believe that. 1) Jack has reason to continue to lie to Sloane; 2) Jack might have considered himself Sloane's friend despite the fact that he was spying on him; 3) Jack's stature at the CIA is such that it suggests a long-term association and level of trust--as in unbroken by departure and subsequent walk-in. It's possible that this is what happened, but I have a hard time believing it without confirmation. I certainly wouldn't take what Jack says to Sloane at face value.
;)

Well said, as usual VH.

Yeah, he was 'taken' by Sloane to work for SD-6, but he just stayed at the CIA, so he's bee a double for most of SD-6's existance.

Of course, we have the apparent disconnect between what the dossier says about SD-6 (apparently based on the Alias "bible") and what Jack tells Sydney about the Alliance in "Truth Be Told." The dossier has Jack's recruitment into SD-6 in Jan 1982 whereas Jack tells Sydney that the Alliance broke with their intelligence agencies "ten years ago" (i.e., 1991). Meanwhile, SD-6 is a branch of the Alliance. Unless Sloane was freelance before joining up with the Alliance, we have an apparent disconnect here. However, it is also possible that Jack was lying to Sydney, distancing the two events so that she would not make a connection between Jack's association with the Alliance and her mother's death (a definite possibility).

As always with Alias, it is difficult to sort out the lies and half-truths from the facts.
;)

I think that is quite possible. AFterall, he wouldn't want to bring something like that up, for Sydney's sake, cuz we all know how he feels about her and Irina (at least then).

Ok first of all...If Jack told the CIA at the very start of SD-6 that Sloane was gonna join it then why wouldn't the CIA just arrest Sloane instead of letting him build it up into this huge threat to the US and then try and stop SD-6...:blink:

So I think that Jack had the intention of being a bad guy when he started working with SD-6...but then when Sloane recruited Sydney he turned himself into the CIA and offered to be a double...

That might also explain why the national government likes to accuse Jack of being a traitor and throw him in jail all the time :rolleyes:

Back