When is it going to change? No really, really CHANGE?

If there was some form of text that conveyed my message more appropriately that capslock, I assure you that I would use it... But with lack of a better method:

WHEN THE ---- ARE MMORPGS GOING TO ----ING CHANGE FOR THE BETTER?

I'm sick of seeing the same games over and over. I'm ready for something new. Something that will ACTUALLY change mmo's. Not this bull---- hype we get with every release, but something that truly breaks boundaries.

I swear, if it isn't done by the time I've got my own studio, I'll be one rich ass motha' ----a.

I know exactly what you mean. It makes me want to make my own game...I wish I could. Every game comes out with all this hype but it's always just another version of the same game --we need something revolutionary, something niche, and a developer who's willing to risk lower subscription rate to make a better game.

It'll be small changes. Technology and resources (time and money) prevent big jumps. It's just the way it is. I mean if you really think about it, that's how it is with any industry: small evolutionary changes until a completely radical technology is invented.

We're seeing more F2P games than sub games of late. Microtransactions might be standard in the future (yeah, I know this isn't about gameplay but it does affect how your game works).

I also think we'll see more niche games than blockbusters like WoW. Love the MMO, looks unique. SW:TOR is emphasizing storytelling and choices that have consequences. Horror MMOs like WhiteWolf or Secret World seem to be the next genre to hit the scene. I'm waiting for Cyberpunk really.

One day...in the distant future, MMOs will be like holodecks or like the X-Men Danger Room. Someday.

Silverblade said:
It'll be small changes.
Small Changes can get us more Action, more Customization, a Trading-Card-Mechanic, or a few more interactive Objects in the World. But they can't fundamentally change the Concept of any big MMORPG ever released: An elaborate Way to pimp your Avatar and show off. I think that is Core to why they're all so similar. The Ways in which your Character improves differ, but in the End, anything you do is rewarded with personal Advancement, and nothing else. It's a highly antisocial, anticooperative (not necessarily competitive) Environment, and it just lacks Purpose.

I wonder when a Game is going to step away from that, and make true on the emotional-Attachement-Part (Tabula Rase advertised with this and SW:ToR is doing so, too...), giving me a Reason to come back other than "just one more Level".
The social aspect of an MMO naturally fills that Void already, but this isn't Part of the Game - it's made entirely by the users, and only accidentally happens to be within the Game.

Silverblade said:
SW:TOR is emphasizing storytelling and choices that have consequences.
Have you seen that twenty-Minute-Video ? Storytelling ok, but Choices that have Consequences ? That's not what i saw. I saw the Choice to either get a Goodguy- or a Badguy-Point, covered up in Scene that either goes peacefully or violent. Neither does it affect anything beyond your Instance, nor is it really more than a disguised Way of chosing the light or dark Side.

Back