When we colonize another planet.......

Being "exploratory" does not mean one is either capable or qualified. No matter how many times one says it again.

Rapists are exploratory. Rats are exploratory. ******ates are exploratory.

The "can" here flies in the face of the mess we've made on this planet, the "must" is basically a relgious belief. The more emphatically held, the more others doubt it.

There are no "musts" in science.

Gee, Lin, tell us how ya' really feel............ :rolleyes::rolleyes:
With that point of view, its' a wonder mankind even made it this far.

i dont operate on blind faith. i tend to think that logic is my cup of tea. if the time was now i would jump on a ship set to explore and possible colonize rather than sitting here wondering if this planet will survive with the mess we made of it, as per your words lin.

see i dont care if this world goes to hell (pardon the language) because it was already on that road long before i was born. what i do care is that there is a future for my children and decendents down the line and if that means that we leave this lonely little rock in space and go out and colonize, conquer or just visit another world, (preferably the first one) then so be it.

i believe for the future rather than burying myself in the past.

i dont operate on blind faith. i tend to think that logic is my cup of tea. if the time was now i would jump on a ship set to explore and possible colonize rather than sitting here wondering if this planet will survive with the mess we made of it, as per your words lin.

see i dont care if this world goes to hell (pardon the language) because it was already on that road long before i was born. what i do care is that there is a future for my children and decendents down the line and if that means that we leave this lonely little rock in space and go out and colonize, conquer or just visit another world, (preferably the first one) then so be it.

Agreed.

i dont operate on blind faith. i tend to think that logic is my cup of tea.

Actually, everybody tends to think that about themselves. Kind of like everybody thinks they are a good judge of character. And men all think they're good poker players.

But my "blind faith" remark wasn't addressed to you, but to the "must do" comments. Apply some logic to "must" and try to figure out where the imperative comes from and what you end up with is something so subjective that it amounts to a personal belief system.

As far as your children go, I think they'd do better if improvements were made in the running of this planet than hoping their lifetimes will lead them to colonization elsewhere.

This can be a dangerous perspective, since human beings tend to learn (when they learn) from experience. Thus, time spent studying the past is well spent, if we are willing to learn from it. Had investment bankers on Wall Street studied the 1920s more closely, they would have seen that excessive borrowing then led to the collapse and Great Depression, just as excessive borrowing now has been a primary contributor to our current economic troubles. So if we do go to another planet, we're probably just going to make the same mistakes there that we have made here.

Of course, it's easy to talk; I'm as guilty of ignoring the past as anyone. :rolleyes:

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

As materials technology advances, the 'where' would be superseded by the 'why'. We should colonize somewhere that makes it easy to drift off in any direction to a possible target star.
Humans can't just look, they need to touch. We HAVE to go out and touch the stars, if only to find out where we really came from.

Touching stars is not all that highly recommended.

Or... a great opportunity for inventors to spend the next few centuries, or more, devising wonderful ways to "Touch Your Sun! Only $199,999,999 For Your SunGloves! Or Rent Them For The Day - ONLY $1,000!!!!"*

And this is the kind of motivation more likely to get people off their backsides and start sailing amongst the stars.

"Dad, how many stars did you touch when you were young?"

:D

[* Terms and conditions of renting apply, we cannot be liable for any misuse of the product and you accept full liability for any damage.]

Haha, funny stuff! But I still say, (and agree with the last post sort of), that the biggest motivation will be wealth. I mean if we're going to explore anyway, why not set up the first settlement somewhere that can be productive. A moon rich with diamonds or gold or whatever. That would be far better than just spending millions and billions just to step off the earth so we can say we did.

Here at home we don't usually invest money unless we think we can turn a profit from it. I mean sure we spend on vacations and such which there will be a profit to be made from recreational space travel but I doubt that will pay the bills for space travel until we get a more efficient technology to go offworld. What is the figure, I was thinking I heard that it costs $100,000 per pound now to get into space or something along those lines.

Haha, funny stuff! But I still say, (and agree with the last post sort of), that the biggest motivation will be wealth. I mean if we're going to explore anyway, why not set up the first settlement somewhere that can be productive. A moon rich with diamonds or gold or whatever. That would be far better than just spending millions and billions just to step off the earth so we can say we did.

It doesn't have to be diamonds or gold, there are other sources of wealth.

I estimated I could generate £24-56,000 million off a Mars programme.

Unfortunately I don't, yet, have the credibility with anyone to raise the seed money to get it launched safely.

Still working on that part.

Give me another decade..... :smiley:

Reminds, me, I've yet to publish my interpretation of space mining using my Spring model.

It doesn't have to be diamonds or gold, there are other sources of wealth.

I estimated I could generate £24-56,000 million off a Mars programme.

Unfortunately I don't, yet, have the credibility with anyone to raise the seed money to get it launched safely.

Still working on that part.

Give me another decade..... :smiley:

Reminds, me, I've yet to publish my interpretation of space mining using my Spring model.

Right, well in my defense, I did say "diamonds or gold or Whatever", lol. Sure there are too many things of value to mention all of them here. From minerals to oil to food to fuel, take your pick of things to profit from in an offworld harvest. I'd say though that a Mars program would possibly be worth hundreds of trillions though at least. Depending on what we may find there of course.

Read Northwest of Earth... I believe that we'll first colonize our own solar system... Then branch out from there...

true we do need to colonize our own system first. the only way to know if we can survive on an airless moon, high heat planet or a waterless planet is do the ones in our system first.

Are moons considered "planets" as well for the topic or only true planets?

With that question you can likely see where I think we'll be going first... some type of lunar base first and then, after that becomes the norm, moving out to other bodies such as Mars.

I agree, the Moon (aka: Luna).

Back