Who is Milo Rambaldi?

I know that a couple of people have discussed the possibility that Milo Rambaldi is still alive - or at least, he survived well past the Rennaissance. The clockmaker that Sydney spoke with was Rambaldi's best friend, and Rambaldi was obsessed with life extension and immortality technologies. I think it's only a matter of time before Alias introduces us to Milo, in the flesh.

This raises a few questions, besides the obvious: is he still alive? Is Milo Rambaldi someone who's hidden himself away from society, or someone active in society under another name? Is he a character we have yet to see, or have we already seen him?

I think, if the writers haven't planned so already, they intend for Rambaldi to be a character they've already introduced. They seem to enjoy the theme of the "full-circle" - minor motes from the main characters' pasts and from the early part of the first Season constantly spring up as new plots. Now, assuming this is the case, there are two characters to whom we've already been introduced that I think would be strong potential candidates. The first is David Carradine's character in the temple in Tibet, the one who hands Arvin Sloane the details of his journey in the later half of the Second Season. He appears to be unknown to everyone but Sloane, he's in a remote location, and he has distinct foreknowledge of Sloane's life and future. Obviously, if he's not Rambaldi, he is a major player in the Rambaldi cult.

But he's not my favorite choice. My favorite theoretical match for Milo Rambaldi? Daniel Hecht. That's right: Sydney's dead fiance. Ridiculous? Think about this:

1. Milo Rambaldi told his friend the clockmaker the exact date, time, and reason he would die, which means it's likely that Rambaldi knew the same about himself. Had Hecht not died at exactly the time and manner he did, Sydney would never have learned the truth about SD-6 and turned double agent.

2. Rambaldi expressed a fondness for the woman on Page 47, who turned out to be Sydney's mother but looked nearly identical to her. Danny, of course, dated and proposed to Sydney.

3. The name "Hecht" probably comes from a Greek concept meaning "the immovable centerpiece."

4. Rambaldi had an accute understanding of medical science. Danny was himself a doctor.

5. Danny has an English accent, but the character's slightly dusky skin tone implies that his roots are more Central or Southern European.

Now, OBVIOUSLY I'm not suggesting that the writers thought THIS far ahead. Still, if they planned to turn one of the early characters into an ex-post-facto Rambaldi, it seems to me that Danny would be the most likely candidate.
Now, would that mean that Rambaldi is dead? Well, maybe. This is Alias - no one every really dies, they just go into hiding and resurface years later. And even if he did, Rambaldi had enough technological prowess to record his voice or image for posterity, or as an attempt at achieving immortality.

What are your thoughts? Who was (or is) Milo Rambaldi? Is he still alive? And when and how will he be introduced?

Wow! I never really thought about that. I thought Rambaldi was still alive, but Danny? I dunno. Maybe. I guess anything is possible.

Alias_Freak said:
Wow! I never really thought about that. I thought Rambaldi was still alive, but Danny? I dunno. Maybe. I guess anything is possible.
Don't misunderstand me - I think it would look absurd for Danny to still be alive, whatever the reason. Even if he was Rambaldi, the fact that he didn't die would have negated the importance of the date and time of his death, like the clockmaker. And besides, there's something called a coincidental paradox: the more often a single phenomena occurs, even a common one, the more it conflicts with sensibility. It's the same reason people make fun of amnesia plots in soap operas - it happens so much more than it does in real life that it makes the story feel hoaky. In this case, too many characters who should be dead have made guest appearances - if Danny were alive, I think it would kill what believability the show posesses.

All that said, there are plenty of ways to evoke Danny/Rambaldi without bringing him back from the dead. Think Laura Palmer from Twin Peaks: flashbacks, recordings, and second-hand accounts can fully flesh a character without having them interact directly with the rest of the cast. In fact, I think it might be an interesting correlation for Alias to tack: have a voiceover of Rambaldi's private notebook describing a subterranean cavern as Sydney rapels into it.

sanmiguel said:
2. Rambaldi expressed a fondness for the woman on Page 47, who turned out to be Sydney's mother but looked nearly identical to her. Danny, of course, dated and proposed to Sydney.
Can you quote me the passage in which Rambaldi expresses "fondness" for the woman on page 47? I don't remember that very well. Also, I'm not sure it's been determined that it is Sydney's mother--that's still debatable.

Meanwhile, I think it would be very dangerous to the verisimilitude of the series to bring Danny back from the dead. Not only was it the spark point for Sydney's entry into her double life, she found Danny very, very dead in the bathtub--so did Jack. There is no reason for there to be a mistake about that, and trying to write some way around it would feel extremely revisionist and awkward at this late date.

Meanwhile, while it's possible that Rambaldi could have somehow faked his death by execution, I'm willing to keep an open mind either way until he shows up. There's no compelling reason to believe he's still around at the moment. (He certainly left enough notes lying around for future generations . . .)
;)

verdantheart said:
sanmiguel said:
Can you quote me the passage in which Rambaldi expresses "fondness" for the woman on page 47? I don't remember that very well. Also, I'm not sure it's been determined that it is Sydney's mother--that's still debatable.

Meanwhile, I think it would be very dangerous to the verisimilitude of the series to bring Danny back from the dead. Not only was it the spark point for Sydney's entry into her double life, she found Danny very, very dead in the bathtub--so did Jack. There is no reason for there to be a mistake about that, and trying to write some way around it would feel extremely revisionist and awkward at this late date.

Meanwhile, while it's possible that Rambaldi could have somehow faked his death by execution, I'm willing to keep an open mind either way until he shows up. There's no compelling reason to believe he's still around at the moment. (He certainly left enough notes lying around for future generations . . .)
;)
Alright, first of all, I'm just going from memory here, but in the section that Vaughan references to save Sydney from being jailed permanently by the FBI, Rambaldi says something like, "She is such a beautiful creature, it's a shame that she could not see the skies above my hometown . . ." something something.

Second, how much debate can there be about the woman on page 47? We know it's not Sydney, because she saw the sky above his hometown. And Rambaldi identifies the woman by DNA and the size of her heart, and . . . some other fingerprint-like bit of information, and it matched Sydney identically. If not Sydney's mother, then who?

Thirdly, as I said, I agree with you that bringing Danny back from the dead would be a giant mistake, for the reasons you named, and a few more. Still, if Danny were Rambaldi, then the Alias writers have an opportunity to invoke the memory of Danny repeatedly without actually ressurecting him.

sanmiguel said:
Alright, first of all, I'm just going from memory here, but in the section that Vaughan references to save Sydney from being jailed permanently by the FBI, Rambaldi says something like, "She is such a beautiful creature, it's a shame that she could not see the skies above my hometown . . ." something something.
Here's the quote: "This woman, without pretense, will have had her effect, never having seen the beauty of my sky behind Mt. Subasio." I just don't get quite the impression of affection from that. ;)

Second, how much debate can there be about the woman on page 47? We know it's not Sydney, because she saw the sky above his hometown. And Rambaldi identifies the woman by DNA and the size of her heart, and . . . some other fingerprint-like bit of information, and it matched Sydney identically. If not Sydney's mother, then who?
Frankly, with the ambiguity of prophescy, it there is still a "trap door" in that "my sky" could refer to a sky in a specific painting or the sky of his time--that is, the prophecy could still refer to Sydney. Secondly, it need not refer to her mother; Sydney could have a daughter one day, y'know (or, geez, knowing this series, a clone/double). We do not know whether Irina Derevko's heart size, platelet count, DNA was even tested--or even if it matches the prophecy at all. (That would be a fun kick in the head, wouldn't it?)

Thirdly, as I said, I agree with you that bringing Danny back from the dead would be a giant mistake, for the reasons you named, and a few more. Still, if Danny were Rambaldi, then the Alias writers have an opportunity to invoke the memory of Danny repeatedly without actually ressurecting him.
What, by having Danny be dead, but be Rambaldi? Can you explain how that adds to the story? Evoking the memory of Danny doesn't do it for me--there has to be a compelling dramatic reason for the connection. And, frankly, Danny was way too clueless to be Rambaldi.
;)

aliasfan9790 said:
me n my friend thought that might b rambaldi if u listen to wut he says its kinda creepy but im not sure if its him tho
It makes more sense that he was a second person as the story related.
;)

verdantheart said:
sanmiguel said:
Here's the quote: "This woman, without pretense, will have had her effect, never having seen the beauty of my sky behind Mt. Subasio." I just don't get quite the impression of affection from that. ;)

Frankly, with the ambiguity of prophescy, it there is still a "trap door" in that "my sky" could refer to a sky in a specific painting or the sky of his time--that is, the prophecy could still refer to Sydney. Secondly, it need not refer to her mother; Sydney could have a daughter one day, y'know (or, geez, knowing this series, a clone/double). We do not know whether Irina Derevko's heart size, platelet count, DNA was even tested--or even if it matches the prophecy at all. (That would be a fun kick in the head, wouldn't it?)

What, by having Danny be dead, but be Rambaldi? Can you explain how that adds to the story? Evoking the memory of Danny doesn't do it for me--there has to be a compelling dramatic reason for the connection. And, frankly, Danny was way too clueless to be Rambaldi.
;)
Point 1: Can you tell I'm not the sort who memorizes whole episodes? Ah well. I concede the point that there may have been no verbal description of Rambaldi's affection for her . . . though the art history nerd in me would point out that a bust-style portrait of a woman would imply deep affection.

Point 2: Interesting theories, especially in light of this week's episode. Did someone reopen Project Helix, and clone Sydney? Still, I think it'd be overkill to keep turning the bad guys into good guys - Sydney's mother may not be evil, but I'll be surprised if she isn't the target of the manuscript. It'd be a tacky disrespect of Irina Derevko's history to have her be so controversial, and then have her controversy mean nothing.

Point 3: Yes, Danny Hecht played the bumbling idiot, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't acting a part. Lies and deception tend to happen in this show. Further, watch Twin Peaks or The Pretender for examples of shows that manage to invoke dead or missing characters repeatedly in moving and meaningful ways.

sanmiguel said:
Point 1: . . . though the art history nerd in me would point out that a bust-style portrait of a woman would imply deep affection.
. . . Or not. I used to draw portraits of Buster Keaton. Did I have some affection for him? I suppose so. Was I in love with him? Definitely not. Why did I draw the portraits? Because the man had a fascinating face that was a pleasure to draw. And in this case you have an artist who has a reason to draw a portrait: to identify someone, much as you'd draw someone on a wanted poster. There's just too many ways to argue this.

Point 2: . . . It'd be a tacky disrespect of Irina Derevko's history to have her be so controversial, and then have her controversy mean nothing.
This is not the source nor be all/end all of her controversy. I'm not saying that she isn't the woman in the portrait; I'm just saying I have an open mind. Meanwhile, given this argument, you're saying that Rambaldi's in love with Sydney's mother and not Sydney anyway, right? (The subject of the portrait)

Point 3: . . . Further, watch Twin Peaks or The Pretender for examples of shows that manage to invoke dead or missing characters repeatedly in moving and meaningful ways.
But you don't have to turn him into Rambaldi to accomplish that.
;)

verdantheart said:
sanmiguel said:
Point 1: . . . though the art history nerd in me would point out that a bust-style portrait of a woman would imply deep affection.
. . . Or not. I used to draw portraits of Buster Keaton. Did I have some affection for him? I suppose so. Was I in love with him? Definitely not. Why did I draw the portraits? Because the man had a fascinating face that was a pleasure to draw. And in this case you have an artist who has a reason to draw a portrait: to identify someone, much as you'd draw someone on a wanted poster. There's just too many ways to argue this.

Point 2: . . . It'd be a tacky disrespect of Irina Derevko's history to have her be so controversial, and then have her controversy mean nothing.
This is not the source nor be all/end all of her controversy. I'm not saying that she isn't the woman in the portrait; I'm just saying I have an open mind. Meanwhile, given this argument, you're saying that Rambaldi's in love with Sydney's mother and not Sydney anyway, right? (The subject of the portrait)

Point 3: . . . Further, watch Twin Peaks or The Pretender for examples of shows that manage to invoke dead or missing characters repeatedly in moving and meaningful ways.
But you don't have to turn him into Rambaldi to accomplish that.
;)
Point 1: You used to draw portraits, not bust-style portraits. Yes, there are many reasons to draw a face, but a person drawing in that style in the Rennaisance would have been implying that he felt a deep, personal connection with his subject (or that he simply felt like he was in love with her). Now, this may be reading a lot into the writers' intentions, but if we're splitting theoretical hairs . . .

Point 2: Perhaps. Or that he had, as I said, a "deep affection for her". There are plenty of love-story cliches of the man who falls for a woman because she looks just like her mother. Or, Rambaldi might not have even been in love with Sydney, but cared for her because she was Irina's daughter. Again, all speculation.

Point 3: Not at all. But I think it'd make it damned interesting.

sanmiguel said:
a person drawing in that style in the Rennaisance would have been implying that he felt a deep, personal connection with his subject (or that he simply felt like he was in love with her). Now, this may be reading a lot into the writers' intentions
Yes it is. Agreeing to disagree here and dropping.
;)

I've wondered, too, if Rambaldi could be alive, but I'm not convinced he's someone we've already met. It does sound like something the writers would do, but I can't think of any likely Rambaldi canidates.

i think he's alive, i don't think he's been inttroduced yet but i think he's out there, the clock man knew more and i think the monk knows alot, but he's probably in a dangerous position, Sloan going out to see him was not just get info, Sloan may have wanted to kill the monk, but he knows he can't cause the monk dude knows so much. BRING BACK THE MONK;) Milo is bound to pop up.

now that I think about it, what's with all the Kill Bill people?

Quentin Tarantino
David Carradine
Vivica Fox

and Uma Thurman's husband/ex Ethan Hawke???

I know that a couple of people have discussed the possibility that Milo Rambaldi is still alive - or at least, he survived well past the Rennaissance. The clockmaker that Sydney spoke with was Rambaldi's best friend, and Rambaldi was obsessed with life extension and immortality technologies. I think it's only a matter of time before Alias introduces us to Milo, in the flesh.

This raises a few questions, besides the obvious: is he still alive? Is Milo Rambaldi someone who's hidden himself away from society, or someone active in society under another name? Is he a character we have yet to see, or have we already seen him?

I think, if the writers haven't planned so already, they intend for Rambaldi to be a character they've already introduced. They seem to enjoy the theme of the "full-circle" - minor motes from the main characters' pasts and from the early part of the first Season constantly spring up as new plots. Now, assuming this is the case, there are two characters to whom we've already been introduced that I think would be strong potential candidates. The first is David Carradine's character in the temple in Tibet, the one who hands Arvin Sloane the details of his journey in the later half of the Second Season. He appears to be unknown to everyone but Sloane, he's in a remote location, and he has distinct foreknowledge of Sloane's life and future. Obviously, if he's not Rambaldi, he is a major player in the Rambaldi cult.

But he's not my favorite choice. My favorite theoretical match for Milo Rambaldi? Daniel Hecht. That's right: Sydney's dead fiance. Ridiculous? Think about this:

1. Milo Rambaldi told his friend the clockmaker the exact date, time, and reason he would die, which means it's likely that Rambaldi knew the same about himself. Had Hecht not died at exactly the time and manner he did, Sydney would never have learned the truth about SD-6 and turned double agent.

3. The name "Hecht" probably comes from a Greek concept meaning "the immovable centerpiece."

4. Rambaldi had an accute understanding of medical science. Danny was himself a doctor.

5. Danny has an English accent, but the character's slightly dusky skin tone implies that his roots are more Central or Southern European.

Now, OBVIOUSLY I'm not suggesting that the writers thought THIS far ahead. Still, if they planned to turn one of the early characters into an ex-post-facto Rambaldi, it seems to me that Danny would be the most likely candidate.
Now, would that mean that Rambaldi is dead? Well, maybe. This is Alias - no one every really dies, they just go into hiding and resurface years later. And even if he did, Rambaldi had enough technological prowess to record his voice or image for posterity, or as an attempt at achieving immortality.

What are your thoughts? Who was (or is) Milo Rambaldi? Is he still alive? And when and how will he be introduced?

You've researched this so well it actually sounds believeable that Danny could have been Rambaldi. You could also add the fact Danny wanted children with Sydney and in the Prophecy she is the woman who will 'Bring forth his works' - i.e. have his child

Back