Who LOVES to PVP?

Daax

Cadet
We've all discussed RP in and out and Im think that's what the majority of us are here for.

But what about others, like me, that aren't the biggest RPers but sure as hell enjoy a good fight.

Discuss, folks. What future do you see in PVP? How do you like to fight? What tools would you like to use. Clan wars. Battlegrounds. duels. What do YOU want to see in HJ pvp? Ideas for an arena? Class vs. class. Whatever.

If you luv to PVP then shout it out.

"Not I!", cried Kuzzle, at the top of his lungs. "While some PVP can be somewhat entertaining, I find that most who partake are fans of rather unsportsmanlike conduct. So, while PVP between people that you know, or, at the very lest, have played with before, can be fun, I try to avoid PVP with people that I've had no prior contact with."

"Another thing," He went on, " is that there is usually very little incentive for me to partake in that particular delight. You see, in attempting to make PVP more appealing to the masses, some games take away any penalty associated with death when it is caused by another player. That's fine, and, truth be told, if they didn't I'd likely take part in such activities even less. Another problem that it possesses, though, is that there is no reward. Taking away the material gain of the conquest pretty much takes away the appeal of the conquest, in my humble opinion."

I love to PvP. I enjoy open pvp, event pvp, structured pvp. To me it's gaming with gamers. I'm not letting some ignorant house wife's struggling tale dictate what my character is doing when I choose to attack another player. I'm gambling their skill vs my skill and possibly other risks. Other risks mostly being like in Shadowbane there was ALWAYS some politics that came into play on our server when someone decided to sneak attack someone else. Territory disputes erupted and small one on one fights would spread into full scale war and at the end of the day entire cities could fall. Over a bit of trash talking and eventual contest between two or more opposing forces.
PvP is the only substance 'stat' based games can offer back to the player base. You run out of quests. You run out of maps. You run out of uber leet gear. You run out of NPC bosses to take out. But you never run out of players to fight. Unless the game sucks.

Luciro said:
I love to PvP. I enjoy open pvp, event pvp, structured pvp. To me it's gaming with gamers. I'm not letting some ignorant house wife's struggling tale dictate what my character is doing when I choose to attack another player. I'm gambling their skill vs my skill and possibly other risks. Other risks mostly being like in Shadowbane there was ALWAYS some politics that came into play on our server when someone decided to sneak attack someone else. Territory disputes erupted and small one on one fights would spread into full scale war and at the end of the day entire cities could fall. Over a bit of trash talking and eventual contest between two or more opposing forces.
PvP is the only substance 'stat' based cames can offer back to the player base. You run out of quests. You run out of maps. You run out of uber leet gear. You run out of NPC bosses to take out. But you never run out of players to fight. Unless the game sucks.

Very True.

:smiley:

LearsFool said:
I love to PVP, My favorite way to PVP is just weapons only, no magic or any other things. Doesnt matter to me who or when i fight.

QFT.

Magic is for wussies that don't eat meat. ;)

PvP goes hand in hand with RP for me. Nothing satisfies like open PvP. Not a bunch of hooligans running around bludgeoning each other endlessly for the next pvp title or weapon set, but having the option to attack or defend oneself at any time (like real life), but not necessarily doing so without good cause or consequence.
Wars and faction rivalries are always good reason to PvP, but I don't care for segmented areas, like battlegrounds, that are all or nothing pvp. Arena battles and duels can be fun to watch and participate in, too. I suppose I love that air of danger when I play, knowing I could attack or be attacked in the arena.. or on my way home from it. Throw in the remote possibility of perma-death and I am a happy camper.

I enjoy certain types of pvp. When I first hit 60 in WoW, all I did was pvp as I generally like to game solo, or in small parties, I never liked the raid idea of relying on 39 other people to all do their part correctly. especially since often one players folly could end a lot of hard work. However I eventually grew weary of WoW's pvp, as the original ranking system allowed for you to drop out of the ranks if you had just one off week. In addition, there was never any notable gain by any of the factions opposing each other. I've decided I dislike that kind of pvp (capture the flag/ hold the node) in mmo's, despite loving it in FPS's.

However the type of pvp luciro described (large scale wars with tangible in world results) appeals to me. Which is why I think I have enjoyed Eve online lately. When you can see your accomplishments affect the in-game world it makes them that much sweeter. And when you can not I often get the feeling of, "what was the point?". I would rather the entire game/server know that myself and 99 others took an entire kingdom/solar system from 100 others, than to have 10 people know I bested them in an instanced battle, that they can choose not to acknowledge. This may seem contradictory to my desire to game alone, however I almost always play a class that is allowed to go off on their own and bring havoc to the enemy (rogues/assassins)

I battlegrounded my way all through my WoW experience. From level 19-60 I was a pvp maniac. While I'm not the best at duel style pvp, I can hold my own in it usually and do enjoy it. But what I really like are goal oriented battles. As a druid I absolutely loved being with a rogue group, operating behind enemy lines to capture towers and kill commanders in Arathi Basin. Flag running in Warsong Gulch? I had people cursing my name on the realm forums. The thrill of infiltration and planning narrow escapes from heavily guarded flag rooms was some of the best fun I had in WoW. To be part of a highly efficient team that just worked well together but didn't take the results too seriously was just wonderful.

Give me a random battle and eh, it's fun but not really my thing. Give me an objective and not only am I hooked, my skill at playing shoots up ten fold. Give me a large objective to fight for with lasting effects on the world and I will love you forever.

I like doing scaled battles with RP - it appeals to this lowly pathetic housewife (with two homerun businesses) :rolleyes2: to invade the haven for the over-agro undersexed bloke living in a shared flat who feels the need to assault someone in a game to feel double-ard....and beat him mercilessly with tactics rather than weaponry. Something we housewives are supposedly incapable of, apparently :^O

However, I can take it or leave it. There doesn't seem a whole lot of skill in PvP for me when people are just hopping, running in circles and mashing down on the keys. I could give my son my keyboard and let him dance on it and he'd probably manage to do rather well in most PvP. As one of those pathetic roleplayer types, *snort* If I kill someone, they just get back up and come at me, and we do it again. And again. And again. There's no sense of finality. There's no cohesive ingame reason why we just keep bashing each other back and forth slinging "your mum" insults at each other until eventually we both get bored of rezzing and go somewhere else. I'll agree with Kuzzle on this - PvP tends to put people's worst behaviour in sharp relief solely because there's no repercussions against doing so. Some real repercussions, either in death or in world impact, affecting either the story of the world or something similar, would make PvP more of interest to me. I've done that in widescale, inworld battles in various gaming (loser faction had to go flagged for PvP in certain areas), but I'd like to see it built into the mechanics as well.

I LIVE to do battle with everyone else and prove I'm the greatest fighter. That's how I roleplay. In fact, I'll even be making a gladiator type character in HJ.

And that's how I fight. Like a raging madman. I'll often run into groups of people and try to take on 10 people by myself. I think i picked up that trait from being a perma-gladiator in GunZ:The Duel. And I was able to walk away from those fights victorious because that was a skill based game and not button mashing.

NO BUTTON MASHING!!! Because then it just becomes a class vs class thing.

Kuzzle said:
...You lucky dog, you. Recognition doesn't seem to land on my shoulders as a rule. Damn butterfly.

It actually happened two times during the height of my "career" as a flag runner. I was really tickled to be randomly skimming along the forums and see the phrase "...Gate... I shudder when I see that name [in WSG]" It's the best feeling in the world to have fully epiced out characters handing off the flag to me in my wimpy two epics because I could get the job done- gear or no gear.

*cries* But sadly, glory is fleeting and now my poor druid is long forgotten.

Though one tip to gain immortality? Have a unique, persistant name. "Gate" is the root of most of my character/account names. If you do a web search for the name "Gate Andara" or "GateAndara" you will come up with me, me, and only me. My hope is to remain in control of that alter-ego exclusively so that no matter where you are online, no matter what you are doing, if you see it, you know it's me.

My only complaint about PvP are the ass hats that sit there and wait for you to come back just to kill you over and over and over. Otherwise PvP is pretty cool.

Trillian said:
I like doing scaled battles with RP - it appeals to this lowly pathetic housewife (with two homerun businesses) :rolleyes2: to invade the haven for the over-agro undersexed bloke living in a shared flat who feels the need to assault someone in a game to feel double-ard....and beat him mercilessly with tactics rather than weaponry. Something we housewives are supposedly incapable of, apparently :^O

However, I can take it or leave it. There doesn't seem a whole lot of skill in PvP for me when people are just hopping, running in circles and mashing down on the keys. I could give my son my keyboard and let him dance on it and he'd probably manage to do rather well in most PvP. As one of those pathetic roleplayer types, *snort* If I kill someone, they just get back up and come at me, and we do it again. And again. And again. There's no sense of finality. There's no cohesive ingame reason why we just keep bashing each other back and forth slinging "your mum" insults at each other until eventually we both get bored of rezzing and go somewhere else. I'll agree with Kuzzle on this - PvP tends to put people's worst behaviour in sharp relief solely because there's no repercussions against doing so. Some real repercussions, either in death or in world impact, affecting either the story of the world or something similar, would make PvP more of interest to me. I've done that in widescale, inworld battles in various gaming (loser faction had to go flagged for PvP in certain areas), but I'd like to see it built into the mechanics as well.

Actually, I never said housewives couldn't PvP. I said they write lame quests for MMORPGs. Or really, they write lame most everything. Sorry, that is a matter of opinion only too.

Kuzzle said:
"Not I!", cried Kuzzle, at the top of his lungs. "While some PVP can be somewhat entertaining, I find that most who partake are fans of rather unsportsmanlike conduct. So, while PVP between people that you know, or, at the very lest, have played with before, can be fun, I try to avoid PVP with people that I've had no prior contact with."

"Another thing," He went on, " is that there is usually very little incentive for me to partake in that particular delight. You see, in attempting to make PVP more appealing to the masses, some games take away any penalty associated with death when it is caused by another player. That's fine, and, truth be told, if they didn't I'd likely take part in such activities even less. Another problem that it possesses, though, is that there is no reward. Taking away the material gain of the conquest pretty much takes away the appeal of the conquest, in my humble opinion."
Hehe.. third person makes me giggle.

Back