• 10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20%

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • 30%

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • 40%

• 50% - Hmmm, now what should I do today...

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • 60%

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 70%

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • 80%

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 90%

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • 100% - Stop bugging me!

• Total voters
Since the other two styles were mentioned, I felt this one should be too.

If I had to divide my time in these MMOGs (where G = Grind), I would do 10% PVP, 50% PVE (either parties or raids), and 40% Solo. By solo, I mean crafting, selling, working the auction house, exploring, and even grinding (which is sometimes therapeutic when I've had a bad day).

So solo is as important to me as the other styles, and I wonder if I am the only one who feels this way.

I would love to hear other opinions on this point

Sometimes you log in and just want to be there for some escapism from the real world and people. Other times you can't get enough of the group hunt and the Roleplay.

I solo quite often. Usually when my play time is limited. However, I also love to adventure with others when it is convenient and fun. What I don't like, though, is being 'forced' to group for any quest or raid or event.

I love grouping, but I hate games where I can't go out and do something solo when those times it's hard to find a group appear. So I'm half and half. There's also times when I have a single goal in mind, such as.. I just need 2500 more aa points to advance blah blah. In a group I like to put forth a group effort and not focus on myself. When I'm solo I know I'm grinding just for one specific reason.
Plus as you mentioned solo content should include crafting and what not. I enjoy times like that. Even when I use those times just to communicate with my guildies and friends in game.

I tend to solo, but its mostly because I tend to explore and do interesting things a lot (things like 'I wonder if I could survive x many mob A while running backwards through zone D1'... so I'm a bit wierd. My friends learn to decline invites when I start saying things like "hmmmm..." It usually means deaths will be ensuing. ;)) . But I also like to chat while doing so. Depending on the way global chats are implemented (if at all) is really the biggest factor in how much time I spend 'alone.' If tells are implemented (i.e. most games) then I spend a lot of solo time doing my own thing but holding conversations non-stop. If there is little or no global chat support (i.e. DR being a good example) I still spend a large amount of time out in the field alone, but considerably more time in the (virtual-)physical company of others.

Long story short: game mechanics: solo, socialization: group

Wow, this is turning into an interesting statistic.

From the other threads, I somehow came to the inaccurate conclusion that solo play is not popular.

I am happy to see that I was misguided in that perception.

I hope Simutronics gives solo play the attention it appears many of us think it deserves.

And if I run across you guys/gals in-game, I will be sure to tip my hat.

Evran said:
I tend to solo, but its mostly because I tend to explore and do interesting things a lot (things like 'I wonder if I could survive x many mob A while running backwards through zone D1'... so I'm a bit wierd. My friends learn to decline invites when I start saying things like "hmmmm..." It usually means deaths will be ensuing. ) . But I also like to chat while doing so. Depending on the way global chats are implemented (if at all) is really the biggest factor in how much time I spend 'alone.' If tells are implemented (i.e. most games) then I spend a lot of solo time doing my own thing but holding conversations non-stop. If there is little or no global chat support (i.e. DR being a good example) I still spend a large amount of time out in the field alone, but considerably more time in the (virtual-)physical company of others.

Long story short: game mechanics: solo, socialization: group

Good point. Just because your character may hunt solo, doesn't mean you aren't socializing in game or out. Guild chat channels, being pummeled by IMs (pigeons), or being in 'tell hell' sometimes don't even give you enough multi-tasking ability to be able to listen to or participate effectively in a group.

I play on the EQ2 Test Server, so I'm usually forced to solo. I'm not going to vote in this poll because I have no good way to respond. Would I prefer to group? I think so, but maybe I'd get sick of it at some point. I'd have to actually experience it to see how it goes.

I solo a lot. To be honest, I wish I wasn't soloing so much in gaming - it's a shame grouping is such a mixed bag in MMO's these days, and you never know if you're going to get a bunch of leetspeekers and texties even on what is supposed to be a rp server. Most of the time I'd find myself soloing even when in a guild, which seemed to defeat the whole point for me.

Granted, when no one else is around I do like to solo from time to time, BUT if there's a game where I'm going to spend all my time trying to find a group and failing to do so, then I just shut it down and go outside and spin staff for a while instead.

i solo probably 90% of the time. i am chatting on vent or in /guild but i am usually by myself. i only group for raids, a guildie needs help on a quest or if i am stupidly bored i'll run a 5-man (guildie, dont do pugs).

i just hate being held back by someone else. i tend to level pretty fast to get the grind over with ASAP. its part of why all my toons in WoW are alliance, i know the quests, know where to go and what to do.

Docmdnite said:
i solo probably 90% of the time. i am chatting on vent or in /guild but i am usually by myself. i only group for raids, a guildie needs help on a quest or if i am stupidly bored i'll run a 5-man (guildie, dont do pugs).

i just hate being held back by someone else. i tend to level pretty fast to get the grind over with ASAP. its part of why all my toons in WoW are alliance, i know the quests, know where to go and what to do.

*walks on stage and sets down a portable stereo*
*pushes play*
Aerosmith: "Life's a journey not a destination! And I just can't tell just what tomorrow brings!"

I love teaming up with people while leveling even if they set me back. I'm one of those who happily helps out lower-levels even if it "costs" me precious time. Sometimes I even found myself doing that perhaps 1/4 of my total play time during a week. Give me good companionship and I'll gladly double or triple the time it takes me to level.

if i come across someone who is doing the same quest as me sure i will group with them but it is faster that way. why compete for kills or the named we need to kill. but soon as we are done i usually leave. if the person seems pretty cool i might stick around and partner w/ them for a few hours but that is rare.

and if a person has helped me in the past i have no qualms about logging one of my 60's for a bit to help them blow through some quests they are havving issues with. people have done the same for me.

but in general i like to do my own thing

I prefer grouping, if I wanted to play a solo game I'd go get a PS2 or something and play RPGs by myself. I will solo when grouping isn't available and I still have some goals to achieve but more often then not I am out there helping my fellow TCOers and generally caring about other people beyond myself, I think my guild mates will attest to that. To me its more about other people than the actual game, what fun is the game if other people aren't around.

Also, I think being in the right guild helps, if you're sorrounded by hardcore raiders you're less likely to solo or vice-versa. I know there are a lot of TCOers who will refuse to group with people outside the guild because just as Trillian said, grouping is a mixed bag these days and its not always a good experience for people.

Then again people are used to soloing or playing non-multiplayer games so the solo mentality is there in MMORPGs even if MMORPGs try to foster the teamwork and cooperative playstyles. They are MASSSIVELY multiplayer online games after all. Though not everyone wants to have something to do with the others. I think given the right elements such as a good guild, some immersive RPing, some fun people to chat with out of character whether on voice chat or textual.. all helps to bring people together and its truly wonderful to see so many people get together with similar goals and play a game and get lost in another world together.

I wonder if there shouldn't be more 'duo' content in MMOs? Since I will say 80% of the time I play in a MMO it's with my girly. Seems like it'd be a good idea to add more 'puzzels' to the game design where grouping would matter. Such as, one person sneaks or kills their way to a switch to hold a door open for your partner to enter and then lock the door into place so you could enter.

I prefer playing with a small, friendly group (preferably a group of easy going role-players). I am something of a loner in real life, and it extends to game play as well. I rarely join organizations in real life and have never joined an ingam guild as I do not really like obligations and rules, and I like to play the wanderer type who occasionally tags along on quests, etc. I usually become part of a vaguely defined group of close knit friends who happen to spend most of their time in a particular place.

I am a very casual player and just like to play whenever- not really focused on rapid advancement within the game, gaining all the best loot, etc. I suppose the ideal setup would be to group with friends who have the same casual play style and times of play, though this is hard to find.

I tend to prefer soloing, for a few different reasons. Partly due to the fact I usually play on US servers but live in the UK so I tend to be playing at off-peak times. Partly because I like to wander round doing lots of different quests, working on them in the way I want to without the having to worry about other people being pissed off if I stop midway through a quest to do something else because I'm bored.

BTW Crisidon, you play on the EQ2 Test Server? Cool. I played for years on the SWG TC, I know a few SWG TCers went over to EQ2 TC although I could never work up the will to do it too. All the felgercarb we put up with on SWG TC burned me out from test servers.

Back