Who played FFXI?

F

frostydf2

Did you play FFXI? If so, what server, what race, what level, and what class?

I did.

I was a Level 36/18 WHM/BLM on Ragnarok. What about you?

I did, but I don't remember the server, I played back when the ps2 version had just come out, because my boyfriend at the time had already been playing on his computer.

I was a 56/whatever is half Elvaan WHM/SMN (and a damn good one too, most people don't know how to play a whm)

i played i for got the servers i played on 2.... 1 with my friend and the other just by myself... i had taru whm24/blm14 and a elv 21mnk/11war

I've played this game off and on. My server is Titan. My first character was an Elvaan, 28war/14mnk. I just started up this game a few weeks ago, and my character is a Taru 8war.

I never got the pleasure, but a good friend of mine from WoW left my guild for it so maybe I'll check it out one day.

FFXI was my first MMORPG. When I left it for World of Warcraft I was pretty disgusted with the game mostly due to the way the economy had become so inflated and the fact that you couldn't solo at all. Now I find myself missing it sometimes. The FFXI community was pretty great in my experience and I had some really good friends in that game.

Oh, btw, I was a level 48/24 Bard/White Mage on the Seraph server. I never had trouble finding groups with that job combination and a decent reputation on the server. The problem was putting aside 5-6 hours every night to get the rest of the party together and grind. I work full time and have to be up early in the morning so I tend to prefer to do my gaming in 2-4 hour increments if possible. My wife also appreciates spending a hour or two with me at night. :P

I played it for about a year and half and I went literally through about 200 different characters. The highest I ever got was a lvl 30 Monk on Phoenix. I would always delete and remake characters because I could naver decide what I wanted to be. Really, they just didn't have a good job class for me. I was pissed at the game because because they took a classic FF hero weapon (greatsword) and turned it into a pile of felgercarb that nobody really uses.

All in all, the game is like a second job. Literally, it takes so freakin long to do anything it just starts to feel like work after a while. It just took me so long to quit because I'm such a diehard FF fan and I just didn't want to admit that FFXI sucks.

But just like Korama said, I find myself missing it sometimes. The community really was great but inflation and all that kind of ruined it. All in all the game really is just a con. SE designed the game so that it would literally take about a year just to get to lvl 75 but also making the game super addicting so therfore they make a huge profit just from monthly fees. And then I think they had IGN start selling gil for money.

Ok, first off: How the hell do people remember these things? I've never paid enough attention to server to notice...

Secondly: The first time I played I only played until like level 9 as a Tarutaru theif, and I did so on the PC. The second time, I made it up to like level 19, or so, as a G... Galka? The big guys. Anyway, as a one-of-those-guys monk. I think I was on... Unicorn? Was that a Server? Anyway, the second time my name was Duck. Doubt that anyone would remember me, just throwing it out there.

I have actually been considering to play this game for awile. After looking at this thread, I might just have to get to it.

*Adds another to his list of "MMO's to play incase HJ takes way to long to get a beta out."*

I played for a month or so before I was certain I wasn't having any fun. I liked the auction houses, which I think were relatively new at the time, but games like WoW have since improved in those areas. The characters all looked identical (that bothers me bunches) and I don't care for the 'cutsie' cartoonish look of the people and critters... and I will take a good armoured horse over a chocoboo anyday.

I played for a long time, and actually I still do play from time to time. My oldest character is Garrison on Odin server, a paragon of Job A.D.D.:
(WAR37, MNK72, THF36, WHM12, BLM2, RDM3, BRD15, BST5, DRK25, DRG52, NIN32, PLD62, SAM58, SMN 15, RNG 12)

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the game and 90% of the palyers were decent folks. It was my first MMO and still holds a special place for me. The only reason I'm not as active in it as I once was, is mainly due tot he fact that I met my ex-fiancee in it, but due to unforseen and really unavoidable events in the game of life, we had to part ways, so it's just not the same without her :(

But, in all honesty, FFXI is a solid game, the thing is it doesn't cater to a lot of the tastes of western players. As a very general rule of thumb, how shall we say, "Eastern" (e.g.: China, Korea, Japan) developed games tend to be very much a grind-fest, with major rewards much further apart, they're typically more time-intensive and very group oriented, almsot to the poitn of excluding solo play. Whereas in most western style games, solo play is almost always an option, the pace of the game is faster and achievements and rewards happen fairly quickly and not all that far apart along the line of character progression.

I'm sure there's a sociology paper in there somewhere, but those are jsut the tredns I've ntoiced in playing games from both sides.

Yeah I own this game and cracked the box open and played the 30 day trial, but didn't get farther than that. Too much work. And having to put up with silly Taru "dancing." I may pull it out again at some point. :🤷:

I've played FFXI for almost a year, the big reason I liked it so much aside from being a fan of Final Fantasy was the community, from the time FFXI was released on PC to a year later I had so much fun making new friends and doing events with linkshell (guild). But eventually I had to let it go.. after a year of continuously playing it you just get worn out, so I took a break which I haven't come back yet :P... my character was pretty high up there in level but of course I lost it for not being active for a few months and starting over and getting back up there is the reason I have never got back into FFXI even though I miss it sometimes.

Back