Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not a fan of Fantasy

• Other - Let me tell you about it

• Total voters

Tom

An Old Friend
The poll choices are limited - Just pick the one that is closest to your answer. You can always comment and expand further.

I like Fantasy because in old times many of the things we know now as Science were thought to be in the Fantasy realm. In particular the concept of Magic. Wizards and Mages wielded powers and knowledge that the mundanes could not understand. Many of the things they could do are now or could soon be very possible. Fantasy, when well written, can explore new areas of scientific possibility that are currently shunned. It opens the mind to look where science refuses and creates an avenue to explore extreme possibilities.

The term 'Fantasy' is as encompassing as the term 'Fiction'. All fiction can be viewed as a type of Fantasy but for this discussion I am referring to the common use of the term as a genre specific condition.

It might be nice to explore all the different types of Fantasy we find grouped in this genre. From Magical Realms with wizards and dragons to Expanded Human Conditions like telekinesis and telepathy.

I enjoy reading Fantasy works more than watching them. For the most part, there are few movies and TV shows that do Fantasy better or as well as the written works. There are a few adaptations of Fantasy literature to the big screen that do a great job but those are far and few.

As a Fantasy fan I am sure if I were to ask you for your favorite 10 movies and 10 books, You could quickly list the books but would be pressed to list the movies.

On the poll, If you select 'Other', please comment, I think it would be fun to discuss this in depth.

Back