Why Can't I?

Title: Why Can't I

Author: li'l roo

Genre: General

Rating: PG

Spoilers: No spoilers in this one.

Summary: Whoa! It's an Alias set in Australia! Sydney and Vaughn are complete
strangers but are brought together through the turmoil of their fathers'
professions. What happens though, after Sydney goes missing?

This is my first fan fiction story. :blush: The story has also been posted at another website where there's ten or so chapters that have been published so far. But I plan to post them all here too. So there's a few more still to come. :thinking:

Please tell me whatever you think about it. Everyone's thoughts are most welcome

------​

Chapter One​

The footsteps were starting to get louder and louder. Sydney peeked around the desk, trying to determine whether they were heading in her direction. Luck was on her side as she heard a door slam further down the hallway.

Heart pounding a million beats a minute; she crawled to the far side of the room where the moon was casting dark shadows. Bookshelves lined the walls, stuffed with thousands and thousands of books. And her task was to find one.

“Great,” Sydney thought. “I have more chances of finding a needle in a haystack.”

With her new found sense of negativity, she stood and automatically cringed, as her knees cracked in protest at the sudden movement. The sound reverberated off the walls, making the simple joint protest sound more like that of a gun shot. Sydney held her breath, expecting her cover to be blown. Silence surrounded her, and she breathed in relief. Still determined however, she tiptoed over to the spiral staircase and started to climb, being careful to skip the sixth step (a culprit to squeaking).

Upon nearing the top, Sydney paused, allowing her eyes to adjust to the darkness. Reaching into her back pocket, she pulled out a small maglite and raced to the nearest row of books to start her search.

“Sydney!”

A booming voice and the flicking-on of the overhead light stopped her in her tracks.

“What in God’s name are you doing in my library?”

Sydney whirled around, whipping her hands into her back pockets, trying to look inconspicuous.

“Dad, I just wanted-”

“You just wanted what Sydney?”

“I just wanted to get mum’s-”

“Get down from there now!”

“But-”

“No ‘but’s’. NOW!”

Sydney lowered her eyes, and did a mental eye roll.

“Great,” She thought. “Just my luck.”

Slowly but purposely she sat down on the staircase railing and slid down. She jumped off at the end and
stalked past her dad, avoiding his eyes but still felt the penetrating glare.

Once out of the room, she ran to her room only to find Francie cowering in the corner.

“Syd, I’m sorry. I tried to hold him off. I really did!”

“Hey! Head up! All’s good,” Sydney said calmly.

She walked over to the corner and offered her hand to her best friend. Francie took it and stood up.

“He just stormed in here wanting to know where you were, and I just... You know me! I can’t lie to your
dad!” Francie cried, trying her hardest to explain the predicament to her friend.

“Hey? Didn’t I say all was good?” Sydney said, a smile forming on her face.

Walking over to her bedroom door, she kicked it close then turned back to face her friend.

“Ta-da!” She whispered, and from behind her back she pulled out a book - the first edition of Alice in
Wonderland.

CHAPTER TWO​

Disclaimer: I don't own Alias :smiley:
------​
Previously on Why Can't I... ;)

“Ta-da!” She whispered, and from behind her back she pulled out a book - the first edition of Alice in Wonderland.
------​

“Sydney Anne Bristow! How did you manage to get that?” Francie exclaimed, pointing at the book.

“You don’t underestimate my ability or anything Francie, do you...?” Sydney said jokingly.

She walked over to her desk, plonked herself in the swivel chair and then hugged the book to her chest.

Sydney giggled for a moment and then started explaining herself when she saw Francie’s amazed face.

“Well Francie, I now know why shop assistants sell people pants a size too big.”

A confused look crossed Francie’s face. “What?” She asked. “Why?”

“So that you can tuck a book down them, just when your father comes into the room of course!”

Francie joined in with her friend’s laughter, feeling the relief of finding the cherished book wash over her. After all, it was her fault or partially her fault it was taken from Sydney in the first place.

Flash back to six months ago

‘...Happy Birthday dear Sydney, Happy Birthday to you!’

Sydney smiled around at all her friends, before blowing out the thirteen candles on her ‘Cheesecake Shop Mud cake’ (the best mud cake around!). Next to her she heard Francie tell her to make a wish.

Mentally, she concentrated on what she wanted most. And her thoughts were drawn straight to her father. Quickly, but with all her heart, she made a wish and then slowly pushed a knife to the bottom of the cake.

All of a sudden, the conversations stopped and Sydney’s group of mates started wolf whistling, announcing “You touched the bottom of the cake; you have to kiss the closet boy!”

Sydney caught Francie’s eye, and together they burst out laughing.

“Off you go Syd, go find Rex!” Francie laughed.

Looks of question were sent around from the group of friends.

“No offence guys, but who’s Rex?” One of the girls asked.

“Rex is my thirteenth birthday present. And considering we’re at my house and my dad’s away, and we all go to the same school – a girl’s school – there are no guys here other than Rex,” Sydney explained.

“Rex,” she called with a whistle.

Around the corner of the house came a blue heeler barrelling towards Sydney.

“This is Rex.” Sydney announced, picking the puppy up. “Rex, meet my friends.”

‘Ohhs’, ‘ahhs’ and cries of laughter now filled the air as everyone crowded around the puppy as it lapped up the attention. Sydney looked over at Francie and smiled. While all of her friends had rushed over to see Rex, Francie had made the most of the diversion and had dived for the cake, and had already started to indulge herself with a huge chunk.

“Typical,” Sydney thought, shaking her head.

Later that day after all her mates had left, Francie and Sydney helped Tracey (the housekeeper/nanny) clean up the after-party mess.

“So Syd, how would you rate your 13th birthday hey?” Francie asked.

“Um,” Sydney stopped for a moment. “Alright I suppose. I got a new friend!”

She meant Rex, who was now curled up asleep in his basket, dead to the world.

“All that attention must be tiring,” Tracey said with a smile.

Sydney turned to her, and gave her a hug.

“Thanks so much Trace, he’s just what I wanted.”

“And what you needed as well,” said Tracey, returning the affectionate gesture.

“Uh!” Francie interrupted them. “What about me?”

Although Francie was not the one who’d given Rex to Syd, she’d been in on the idea and had given Sydney all the must-have accessories (eg. the basket, leash, bowl etc.) that Rex would need.

“Come here then Francie” and with that, Sydney and Tracey offered there arms and Francie ran over.

“Group hug!” They all screamed, giggling.

“Um... Excuse me. Hello? Sorry, is one of you a Miss S. A. Bristow?”

The three girls broke apart and spun around to find a nervous looking delivery man standing a few metres away.

“Hey! How’d you get here?” Tracey asked, “Who let you in?”

The Bristow house was surrounded by six foot fences and the state-of-the-art security cameras.

“Ah, the gardener let me in. I have a package for a Miss Bristow. Would that be you?” The delivery man’s voice trembled with nervousness.

“That would be me.” Sydney stepped forward and lifted the box out of the man’s hands, grimacing with the weight.

“If you just sign here then...” The man said, holding out a clipboard.

Balancing the box in one arm, Sydney quickly scribbled her name and with that, the delivery man literally ran away.

“What is it Syd?” asked Francie. “Who’s it from?”

“One guess.” muttered Sydney before plonking the package on the table.

“Your father? Tracey asked. She was answered with a glum nod. “Well at least he remembered your birthday. I’ll be right back girls. I’m just going to go have a word with these gardeners, they should know better then to let a delivery person into the house.” And with that Tracey turned on her heel and left the two girls alone.

“Tracey’s right you know, at least he remembers your birthday.” Francie said comfortingly.

“Yeah I know. I just wish he’d given it to me before he left for his trip, or even when he comes home.” Sydney blinked back her tears. “Oh well, here goes.”

And with that, she tore open the brown paper and string and was left with a few books neatly stacked and tied with a pink satin ribbon. Sydney slid the card out from under the ribbon and read “Happy Birthday Sydney. These were your mother’s. She would have wanted you to have these. Dad.”

Sydney looked up at Francie with anticipation. Francie was reflecting her excitement.

Eagerly they both untied the bow and Sydney carefully opened the top book. Inside was a personal note from her father to her mother.

“Laura. All my love forever and a day... Jack” Sydney and Francie read out together.

“Gee Syd, that’s a side of your father I’ve NEVER seen,” Francie commented.

“Yeah. He loved my mum.” Sydney said, pointing out the obvious.

Together, they picked up the books and carried them inside. Tracey met them in the kitchen and was immediately shown the gift.

“I remember these books.” Tracey said, lifting up Alice in Wonderland. “Every time your father went away, he would bring back a book like this for your mother. She loved him doing that.” Tracey placed the book down on the counter, turned to Sydney and continued to say “Take care of these, won’t you?”

“Of course.”

“Uh, Tracey?” Francie said hesitantly, “You kinda put the book in some water.”

“Sugar!” Tracey cried, quickly lifting the book up and wiping it on her shirt. In an attempt to dry it, she started shaking and fanning it.

“Tracey, don’t worry about it. A little water won’t do much damage.” Sydney took the book off of Tracey and calmingly patted her shoulder. “Don’t worry.” She then motioned to Francie and together they started climbing the stairs up to Sydney’s room.

“So is there anything wrong with the book?” Francie asked Sydney.

Sydney opened the front cover. “No I don’t think so... Hang on, what’s this?”

She pointed to a pattern of pale grey ink on the title page.

“One, one, i, eight,” she read out loud. “Oh! Wait a tick!” Sydney turned the page over. The ink was clearer on the opposite side. “Bill!” Sydney said, looking up at Francie. “That’s what it says. Bill!”

“What’s that supposed to mean? Is there anything else?” Francie questioned her.

“Yeah, it must be a last name too. Bill Vaughn.” Sydney said.

“You might want to show this to your father Syd...”

– end of flashback -

And that was exactly what had happened. The moment Jack Bristow stepped through the door on return from his trip, Sydney and Francie had pounded him with questions.

“What’s this?"

"Who’s this?"

"Why’s this?”

Those questions hadn’t really alarmed Jack at all. It was the next question that Sydney had asked that did.

“Who’s Bill Vaughn, dad?”

Jack Bristow had realised his mistake when he saw the book.

“Give me those books Sydney. Bring them to me at once!” Jack had demanded, loudly and clearly.

“But dad, you gave-” Sydney had protested.

”No ‘but’s’! Bring them to me now!”

So following the orders, Sydney and Francie had reluctantly handed over the books. And had never heard a word mentioned about them or seen them again.

Until yesterday, when Tracey, the housekeeper, had commented on the extra books she had to dust in the library. It was this hinting that drew Sydney and Francie to the conclusion and to the decision that the books were being kept safely in the library, and that they needed to go back to the rightful owner - Sydney.

And that is exactly what they did.

Back to ‘now’

“So Sydney, how are we going to find Bill Vaughn? We have absolutely no idea who he is!” Francie exclaimed.

“There’s only one place to start.” Syd announced, and with that she pulled an outdated white pages (a phone book) out of her desk draw.

Together, the two girls searched for ‘Vaughn, W’, after concluding that ‘Bill’ would be short for ‘William’.

“Bingo!” Francie screamed, pointing to the name she had just read. “But Syd, this book is pretty old - they might not live there anymore.”

“There’s only one way to find out mate.” And Sydney picked up the phone and dialled the number that was listed under the name.

------​
A/N: :smiley: So perhaps in the party scene, I might have babbled just a tad too much... But it's relevant! Perhaps in the next few chapters I can explain what's going to happen :D Anyway, thanks sydneymichael and AgentNadiaSantos!

I was wondering why this story was sounding so familiar, and I finally realized I already read it on fanfiction.net, lol.
I also read one of your other fics, Mickey, which I really enjoyed, by the way. Do you know when you're planning on updating?
Anywho, very cute first couple chapters!

Disclaimer: I don't own Alias
A/N: Hope you like the latest chapter!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previously on Why Can’t I?...

Together, the two girls searched for ‘Vaughn, W’, after concluding that ‘Bill’ would be short for ‘William’.

“Bingo!” Francie screamed, pointing to the name she had just read. “But Syd, this book is pretty old - they might not live there anymore.”

“There’s only one way to find out mate.” And Sydney picked up the phone and dialled the number that was listed under to the name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter Three​

“Hello?” On the third ring a gruff voice greeted Sydney on the other end of the line.

“Uh, hello? I was wondering if there was a ‘Bill Vaughn’ there...”

“Who the hell is this? What sick kind of joke are you pulling?”

“I just want to speak to him, ‘cause I think he may have known my mum!”

Sydney looked over at Francie, and shot her an exasperated glance. She pointed to the phone and then rolled her eyes, silently telling her friend that the person she was talking to was a complete and utter loser.

Francie shrugged her shoulders, as if she was saying, ‘what can ya do,’ and scooted over next to Sydney in an attempt to listen to the conversation.

The long uncomfortable pause of silence on the phone was broken by a sigh from the stranger on the other end.

“Sure... He may have 'known' your mum!

“What do you mean? Did you know my mum?”

“I don’t even know who this is? And who the hell is your mum?

“Oh, sorry! I’m Sydney. Who’s this?”

“Michael... Vaughn.”

“Oh! So is Bill your dad?”

“Was my dad. He’s dead now. He died a few years ago. Why would he know your mum?”

“I don’t really know, that’s the problem. I’ve got a book of mum’s and it has your dad’s name in it. But we only found the name after we accidentally wet the page. It was written in like, invisible ink or something!”

“We? Who’s we?”

“Whoops. Francie and I. Francie’s my friend. Say ‘hi’ Francie!”

“Hi,” Francie said sheepishly.

“Um, hi...” Michael said, replying to Francie’s greeting. “But why is my dad’s name inside that book?”

“That’s why I phoned. To find out why.”

From downstairs, Sydney heard the doorbell ring. Francie’s parents had come to pick her up. Syd gave her friend a quick hug, and Francie let herself out of the room, only turning back to signal to Sydney to call her. Sydney nodded in reply.

“Francie’s going now,” Sydney said into the phone. “She says bye.”

“Oh, ok then. Bye... So the book, what’s with that?”

“I was hoping you could tell me.”

“Why don’t you just ask your mum?”

“Because she’s not here.”

“Oh, are your parents divorced?”

“No! I would ask her but I can’t. She’s dead.”

“Really?”

“Really. Why do you sound so surprised?”

“No reason. I just don’t know anyone else who has lost a parent around my age. How old are you?”

“Thirteen. You?”

“I turn fifteen next month.”

“Wow. That’s pretty cool. So, what did your dad do? I want to know how mum knew him.”

“He was a uh, an agent in the ASIS (Australian Secret Intelligence Service).”

“Are you serious?”

“Yeah, he died in action.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Nah, don’t be. That was eight years ago. How about your mum?”

“Mum was an English professor. She died in a car crash seven years ago. You see, my dad gave me some old books of hers for my birthday, and I accidentally found some stuff written in them. And I don’t think my dad meant for me to find this stuff, and now I really want to find out what it is.”

“I gotcha. Is there anything else written in there other than my dad’s name?”

“Uh, I haven’t actually checked. There might be though!”

“Ok, I’m not sure about you, but this is kinda strange.”

“Yeah, it is.”

“Do you want to find out if there is anything else written in there?”

“That’s a good question...”

“So?”

“I just don’t understand how my mum and your dad would have known each other. I mean, mum was a teacher and your dad was an agent... ”

“I with you on that. But there’s only one way to find out how they knew each other.”

“I suppose.”

“Hey? Do you want to meet and find out?”

“Uh... I don’t know.”

“We can find out why my dad’s name is in there.”

“Alrightio... I hope you don’t mind, but I looked up your dad’s name in the white pages and it was in there. It’s kinda an outdated version but is your address still the same?”

Sydney read out the address listed in the book.

“Yep, that’s right. Do you live near?” Vaughn asked in reply.

“Kinda,” Sydney said, “About ten or fifteen minutes walk I think. I live on the other side of the park.”

“That’s good then. We’ll meet in the park. How’s the dog pen?”

“What! Why the park?”

“I have never met you before, so you may be an axe-murderer or something trying to scope out my house...” Michael answered with a laugh. “Plus, how did you find the names in the book? Didn’t you say it got wet?”

“ Yeah, the book accidentally got wet.”

“Sure sure... It's just that it might get a little bit difficult if we worked indoors with water. So why not the park?” Micheal responded with a smirk in his voice.

“Fine. And it was an accident!”

“Alright, if you say so. So tomorrow, can you meet at the dog pen?”

“I suppose. What time?”

“Midday? How will I know that you’re Sydney?”

“You’ll know. I’ll be carrying a book.”

“Ok, I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“For sure. We’ll find out the reason.”

“Yep. Oh! Wait a sec! What book is it in?”

“Alice in Wonderland, first edition.”

“You serious?! Well, that spoils it! I was thinking it would be in Lord of the Rings or something more masculine like that. But Alice in Wonderland! That like, puts my dad’s name to shame!”

“Come on! Alice in Wonderland is a great story. And my mum was an English teacher.” Sydney smiled. “But anyways, I’ll see ya tomorrow Michael.”

“Ok, hoo-roo.”

And with that, they both hung up.

Quick as a whistle, Sydney phoned Francie, and filled her in on the conversation.

“Ok Sydney, what if he’s an axe murderer?” Francie asked her friend, wondering about her mate’s safety.

“I don’t think he is... But that’s why we’re meeting in the park – where there are tons of people.” Sydney slowly said. “But I’ll tell you tomorrow if he is!”

“Well have fun then, talk later?” Francie said.

“For sure! Love ya.”

Sydney returned the phone back to its hook, and jumped into her bed. Tomorrow she was going to meet Michael Vaughn. Tomorrow she was going to find out about the books. Tomorrow she was going to find out about her mum without her dad knowing.

And with that, Sydney smiled, snuggled downinto her bed and drifted off to sleep.

---------------------
A/N: Thanks to everyone who's replied so far, in particular SYD96, seevanw, sydneymicheal and AgentNadiaSantos. Cheers!

They're going to meet! :D YAY!!!!!!!!!!
I can not wait for their meeting in the park.
And Thank you for the thank you. :P :P
And also thank you for the pm.

Disclaimer: I don't own Alias.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Previously on Why Can't I?

Sydney returned the phone back to its hook, and jumped into her bed. Tomorrow she was going to meet Michael Vaughn. Tomorrow she was going to find out about the books. Tomorrow she was going to find out about her mum without her dad knowing. And with that, Sydney snuggled into her bed and drifted off to sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Chapter Four​

“Sydney! Time to get up!” Tracey (the housekeeper/nanny) knocked and opened the ajar door that led to Sydney’s room. “Oh no, not again.”

Tracey walked over to the neatly made bed and unpinned the handwritten note that was attached to the pillow.

“Trace – out for a run. Be back soon. I’ve got my mobile. –Syd,” Tracey read aloud. “I suppose I should get breakie ready for her then. She’ll need it.”

Twenty minutes later, Tracey placed a plate of hot stacked pancakes and a fruit platter on the table.

“I’m home!”

The front door slammed and Sydney appeared in the kitchen.

“Smells good Tracey. You did this for me? Oh, you shouldn’t have!” Sydney tore a pancake in half and shoved some in her mouth. “It’s good.”

“Sit down at the table when you eat Sydney. And I have a question for you – why is it that you always seem to turn up just when I place food on the table?” Tracey pulled a tea towel from the rack and gave the counter top one final wipe down.

Sydney swallowed her mouthful before answering. “It might have something to do with the text I got when I was running – ‘Pancakes and fruit going cheap, head to Bristow Residence’. Yum! These really are good Trace, but do you know what they need?”

“Yes I do, and I don’t know how a skinny little thing like you stays so skinny with what you eat. I’ll get your speciality pancake toppings if you tell me your secret.” Tracey walked to the pantry and the freezer.

“Deal.” Sydney said smiling, shoving another piece of pancake into her mouth. “But you don’t need to know the secret Trace; I love you just the way you are.”

“Oh, you go straight for the heart strings don’t you Syd. I think you’ve seen and read Bridget Jones one too many times. And if only my husband would say that to me, I wouldn’t have to worry about my weight.” Tracey threw a sarcastic look in Sydney’s direction.

”But Tracey, you don’t have a husband anymore. You got divorced years ago.” Sydney said, suddenly very confused.

“I know dearie, and perhaps that is why I’m worried.” Tracey chuckled. “About this secret Syd...”

“You ready for this Tracey? You might want to sit down.”

Tracey placed the nutella and ice-cream on the table and sat in the chair next to her. “Alright chick-a-dee, spill!”

“Brace yourself,” Sydney started spooning the chocolate spread and ice-cream onto her pancakes. “The secret is to exercise.”

“No! I would never have thought!” Tracey pretended to look shock.

“Yes, and you can go for long runs, and have lots of fun.” Sydney picked up a knife and fork, and began to eat her smothered pancake.

“That doesn’t sound like fun to me, that sounds like torture. But would that be the reason why you’ve ran twice in, let’s say, fifteen hours? Come on Sydney, what’s on your mind.” Tracey placed a hand on Sydney’s shoulder.

“Um. I don’t know.” Sydney lowered her eating utensils. “I don’t know whether I should say or not.”

“Come on honey, tell me. It’s Tracey; you’ve told me everything on your mind for the last seven years. Why not now? Spill.”

“Please don’t get angry, but it has to do with the book.” Sydney bit her lip, and watched Tracey take a deep breath.

“And,” prompted Tracey.

“Well, there was this name on the inside, so Francie and I looked up the phone book and we found out there was someone with that name in there. Only problem was, was that the phone book was outdated by years and the person has died. But I spoke to the son, who became interested, and now we are supposed to be meeting in about four hours.” Sydney avoided Tracey’s eyes, unsure of how she would react.

“That took a lot of initiative Sydney. But I’m not sure if I’m ok with you meeting someone who you’ve never met before and have absolutely no idea about. I don’t like the idea of you going in blind. For all you know, he may be an axe-murderer.”

Sydney began laughing. “Did you know that he said the very same thing to me? He said that for all he knows, I might be an axe-murderer!”

“Well, he’s a very smart boy then.” Tracey picked a grape from the fruit platter and ate it.

“I’m kinda nervous about it too Tracey. I mean, we’re meeting in the park, in broad daylight, but what happens if, I don’t know, something bad happens?” Sydney cracked her fingers.

“I think that you should take Rex along, and set him on anyone comes near you. And I also think that you should take your mobile and have me on speed dial so you can call me and tell me all that you find out. Ok?” Tracey stole a look at thechocolate and now melted ice-cream pancakes.

“Sounds like a plan. Would you like some? Sydney offered her plate to Tracey.

“No it’s alright darl. Thanks though.”

A few hours later, Sydney walked out the door with Rex on a leash by her side and the book firmly in her grasp.

”If anything goes wrong or if you want me to come get you Sydney, I’m only a phone call away. Remember that and be safe.” Tracey watched Sydney turn and wave, and then retreated back into the house.

Upon reaching the corner of herroad, Sydney placed her ipod earphones in her ears and started listening to some tunes.

Not only was she now unaware of the noises around her, she was unaware of someone following behind her. Trying to look inconspicuous to people passing by, the person kept their distance from Sydney, but kept the book and the girl in their linesight...

-------​
A/N: Thanks SYD96 for the thankyou thanking me for thanking you :lol: :smiley: Cheers for the reply :cheers:

Next time: Vaughn's side of the family...

Thank you for the thanks. :lol:
I really liked the chapter.
The part with the pancakes was really funny. :sideroll:
But I can't wait till Sydney and Vaughn meet in person.
Thank you for the pm.
:P :P

Disclaimer: I don't own Alias

------
Chapter 5​

“Michael! Upsy-daisies! C’mon! Up and at ‘em!” Mrs Vaughn wandered into her son’s dark room and pulled open the heavy curtains.

“Mum! No! It’s too bright!” Michael pulled his bed covers over his head.

“C’mon sweetie. It’s time to get up. It’s almost ten o’clock.” Mrs Vaughn said, walking over to the bed and attempting to coax her son out.

“NO! ... Wait a second, what’s the time?” Michael’s head appeared from under the covers.

“It’s five to eleven. I’ve made you brekkie, so up you hop.” Seizing the moment, Mrs Vaughn yanked the doona and sheets off of Michael’s bed, grinning at her son.

“Mum! That was cheap! But I’ll take you up on the offer of breakfast.” He slid off his bed and stiffly walked to the door.

“How’s the knee this mornin’?” Mrs Vaughn asked, noticing the grimace on her son’s face.

“It’ll be fine. Stop stalling me mum, I want my breakfast!”

“I better start making something then...” Mrs Vaughn smiled.

“What are you talking about ma? I thought you said... Mum...?” Michael paused for a moment and sniffed the air for any cooked breakfast aromas. “No way! You lied!”

Mrs Vaughn shrugged her shoulders and began to walk out of the room. “I needed some kind of incentive for you to get out of bed. And it seems that these days food is the only one that works. Besides, I need a man’s helping hand.”

“Well just because you’re my mum...” And Michael followed his mum into the kitchen.

---
“Mum, this is pretty good. Just like the person who made it, hey?” Michael winked at his mother and took a bite of his scrambled eggs.

“Is that because you did?” Mrs Vaughn smiled. “So, my boy, what do you plan to do today?”

“Um... Well I was going to take the dog to the park.” Vaughn avoided his mother’s eyes.

“What are you not telling me?” Mrs Vaughn looked closely at the son. “C’mon boy.”

“Well, it’s just he’s been looking a bit chubby these days, so I thought...”

“Ahem? You expect me to believe that? Especially after yesterday’s appointment with the physio? You heard
him just as well as I did. No excessive walking!” Mrs Vaughn crossed her arms and placed them on the table.

“But I really want to go!” Vaughn pleaded.

“I never expected to hear that again! It’s like, déjà vu! I used to hear that all the time when you were knee
high to a grasshopper. And now! What aren’t you telling me?”

“Nothin’...” Michael shifted in his seat.

“Alright, who’s the girl? This is about a girl, isn’t it?” Mrs Vaughn smiled, and nodded knowingly.

“Kind of.” Michael said, biting his lip.

“Kind of? Well I’d hate for the lucky girl to hear you say that! How can you kind of see a girl?”

“Well, you pinky promise you won’t yell and scream and pull out your hair like a crazy mother?” He extended his little finger.

“Are you insinuating that my usual reaction is crazy? And that I’m a crazy mother? Shame on you boy!” Mrs Vaughn shook her son’s pinky with her own.

“I’m just telling you like it is ma.” The grin on Michael’s face widened.

“Hmph.” Mrs Vaughn sent Michael a menacing glare. “So, about this girl...?”

“Ok, so you’ve promised that-”

“-that I won’t go crazy. Yes, I’ve got it, uh-huh. Now continue.”

“Alright.” Michael took a deep breath and spilled his secret to his mum. “So I got this phone call – out of the blue- and it was this girl. She said her name was Sydney and she wanted to talk to William Vaughn. I thought it was a prank call, or one of those annoying telemarketer’s so I told to her to just give it up. But she insisted that she genuinely wanted to talk to dad. And so I told her he was dead, and she seemed quite upset. Then I asked her what was up and she told me about this book she had been given. It had been her mother’s and she received it for her birthday and dad’s name – my dad’s name – had appeared in it for some mysterious reason. So that’s why she wanted to talk to him.”

Michael looked up at his mother, fully expecting her to be angry.

“Has her own mother passed away?” She asked.

“Yes. Her mother died seven years ago. She’s like me – she lost a parent when she was young.”

“Hey boy? No offence or anything, but to me this sounds just a little fishy. Doesn’t it? You said yourself that you thought it was a prank. I mean, come on – you’re dad used to be in Intelligence. He was a spy and now his name is in a book that this girl has? Michael, I’m not sure whether I like this...” Mrs Vaughn reached a hand to her hair and smoothed her fringe.

“Mum, you promised, leave your hair alone. Hands down.” Michael reached over and pulled his mum’s hands away. “I know it sounds iffy. But what happens if it is true? There’s going to be a girl there waiting for me in a matter of an hour or so, and she’s waiting for some answers. She sounded so genuine on the phone, and she’s only thirteen! It would break her heart! It would break mine if it was me.”

“I understand Michael. You feel as though you can connect with her because she’s in the same boat. I get that, I really do sweetie. But I also know that because of what your father did, we need to be careful with our judgement of what sounds real and what doesn’t. You know just as well as I do that your father would’ve made enemies. And what happens if this is one of them, and they want to settle the score because of something that your dad did? If something happens to you... you’re all I’ve got!” Mrs Vaughn stood up and walked over to her son.

“I know...” Michael hung his head.

“I know you do, and I know you don’t want to let this girl down either. Do you know the phone number of ‘Sydney’?”

“Not by heart, but it would be in the phone’s call memory. Do you want me to call her back?”

“No, it’s alright honey. If you could just get the number for me, I’ll call her up and suss it out. If it’s all good, it’ll be fine. And if it’s not – let’s not think about it right now.” Mrs Vaughn patted her son’s head and then began to clear the breakfast table. “It’s not that I don’t trust you - because I do! It’s just the other people I don’t trust.”

“I know I know... But if it’s ok, I’m still allowed to go, right?” Michael looked at his mum hopefully.

“I’ll have to see, mate. ‘Cause not only do you have a busted knee – but you have a busted knee that shouldn’t be walked on. Understood?”

“Yes mum.” Michael mumbled, slumping back down into his chair.

“So, the number?”

“Yes mum.” Vaughn stood and hobbled out of the room to retrieve the phone and number.

A few moments later, Michael returned and handed the phone to his mum.

“It’s ringing.”

“Oh, argh!” Mrs Vaughn ripped the washing up gloves from her hands and dried her fingers quickly with a tea towel before taking the phone.

“Good morning, Bristow residence! Tracey here.” Tracey’s cheerful voice greeted Mrs Vaughn.

“Um, hi. I know this might sound strange, but I’m phoning about a matter concerning my son.” Mrs Vaughn looked over at Vaughn who had settled himself on the kitchen bench, all ears to his mum’s side of the conversation.

“A matter concerning your son? What has happened?” Tracey asked, full of concern.

“Well, Michael – my son, received a phone call yesterday from Sydney and I was just calling to ‘check it out’.”

“Oh yes, Sydney told me about that this morning. She left about twenty minutes ago with her puppy Rex.”

“Really? Oh, ok. Well I was just phoning to check that it wasn’t a hoax, that’s all.”

“Oh no!” Tracey laughed. “Sydney is 100 percent true and I guarantee that she’ll be there in a few minutes. It’s about a half hour walk from our house so she’ll be there soon.”

“Well ok then, I guess that’s that then. Thank you!” Mrs Vaughn caught Michael’s eye and winked at him.

“That’s alright. Cheerio!”

Mrs Vaughn hung up and smiled at Michael. “Mate, it’s your lucky day. We better head off, because Sydney is going to be at the park in about ten minutes or so I was told.”

“We?” Michael asked.

“Yes, we... You didn’t think that I’d let you walk to the park by yourself did you? You’re knee!”

“Yeah... but Mum! You said you’d let me go!” Michael pouted.

“No, not the famous Vaughn pout – I’m a sucker for it! Aw, you got me! Ok then, how about I drive you, and I’ll wait in the car. At least then you won’t have me tagging along, and I’ll have piece of mind that you aren’t stuffing up your leg.” Mrs Vaughn chuckled at her son.

“It’s a deal. C’mon then mum! Let’s go.” Michael jumped off the bench and headed for the door.

---------------
Next time: Sydney and Vaughn meet, but what happens?

Back