Why did Lauren marry Vaughn?

Katgram

Cadet
I've been wondering why Lauren married Vaughan. He wasn't in the CIA at the time of his marriage. She obviously doesn't love him. Did I miss something in one of the episodes or does anyone have a logical reason?

Thanks, Kathie

I think the Vaughn/Lauren situation is like that of Irina/Jack.. I think that Lauren had to marry him to help destroy the C.I.A. and then fell in love with him. But i still can't understand why Vaughn or how Vaughn could fall in love with her in only 6 months when he was IN LOVE with sydney.. i mean sure he thought that she died but still! anyway that is just what i think about it

Lauren married Vaughn cuz she was ordered to
she had to get close to a CIA agent who was vulnerable
same as the jack/irina marriage - Irina needed info, jack had info
simple as that

ihatelauren_alot said:
I think that Lauren had to marry him to help destroy the C.I.A. and then fell in love with him.
[post="1025152"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
You think that Lauren fell in love with him? I'll agree there were one or two moments that pointed that direction, but mostly it seemed more of a competition with Sydney or part of her job. She seemed happy enough to torture and kill him at the end. (The overall writing was extremely inconsistent, so a definitive answer is difficult.)

She may have fallen in love but like VH said... it's hard to tell because of the writing this season -- we never really got a feel for how she "really" felt.... we never saw too much of it. She may have "said" it but she certainly didn't show it.... It did seem like more of a competition....

Okay, the general concensus seems to be that Lauren was ordered, by the Covenant, to marry Vaughan to get close to the CIA. In actuality, Vaughan was not IN the CIA at the time Lauren he met and then married her. Everyone seems to think that Lauren ended up falling in love with him but there is also no indication of that since she was oh-so-ready to kill him. Also Lauren was already a member of the NSC so was already privy to a great deal of inside information.

Sorry to be so picky but I like for things to be more or less logical and I just can't seem to find any logic to this.

I do have to agree that it didn't take Michael long to get over Sydney...

Kathie

Katgram said:
I just can't seem to find any logic to this.
[post="1025991"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Yes, there's a lot of that with Lauren . . . <_<

Well, even though Lauren was NSC and recieved lots of intelligence for the Covenant that way, it seems like the CIA keeps a lot of information secret (like when Dixon orders everyone not to reveal Syd as Julia. Actually he knew the whole truth about her, but he STILL kept that from the NSC.)

SO, the Covenant needs a way to steal secrets from the CIA. True, Vaughn was not in the CIA when Lauren married him, but she could easily manipulate him into returning using a little brainwashing, like Allison did to Will in S2. Weiss was trying to get Vaughn back in the CIA, as well. Lauren might have picked a husband who hadn't left the CIA at all, but Vaughn was such an easy target with his crazy talking-to-dead-Sydney drunkeness. She took advantage of that, which led to the quick engagement and marriage.

God, my head hurts from trying to make any kind of sense out of Lauren.

That's a pretty damn good question!!!
:confused:
I really don't know. Vaughn still was CIA when they met, but they didn't gave us the explanation...WHY??
Irina had a motive, a "mission", Lauren didn't.... and I don't think she felt in love with him...
Good question...
Hope JJ remember to answer this one...

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I love signature SpecialAgent, it's cool! ^_^ You're she could have brainwashed him! -_- </span>

I love signature SpecialAgent, it's cool!
I was going to say the same thing. :smiley:
I think so too, but unfortunately it violates our Community Guidelines (too big). :( I should send a PM, but right now I'm too lazy . . . :blush: (Maybe it'll be fixed by the time I get around to it . . .)

Anyway . . . I rationalize the whole Lauren thing by telling myself that the Covenant had her sitting on Vaughn in case a) Sydney/Julia showed up (as a check on her, to see if the brainwash took) or b) one of his father's old associates (e.g., Brill) ever showed up, perhaps providing a lead on the Passenger. She said herself that she was inactive, that is, a sleeper. ;)
✌️

ms.katejones said:
Well, even though Lauren was NSC and recieved lots of intelligence for the Covenant that way, it seems like the CIA keeps a lot of information secret (like when Dixon orders everyone not to reveal Syd as Julia. Actually he knew the whole truth about her, but he STILL kept that from the NSC.)

SO, the Covenant needs a way to steal secrets from the CIA. True, Vaughn was not in the CIA when Lauren married him, but she could easily manipulate him into returning using a little brainwashing, like Allison did to Will in S2.  Weiss was trying to get Vaughn back in the CIA, as well. Lauren might have picked a husband who hadn't left the CIA at all, but Vaughn was such an easy target with his crazy talking-to-dead-Sydney drunkeness. She took advantage of that, which led to the quick engagement and marriage.

God, my head hurts from trying to make any kind of sense out of Lauren.
[post="1026083"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
that was a gr8 explenation, the best 1 I heard!

I think when JJ married Lauren with Vaughn didn't think a lot in a good explanation! lolol They didn«t explained us.

But, if there's something I think she married him not only to has acess to the CIA, but also to keep Sydney away, if she came back!!Ohh, and maybe also to find something about Rambaldi prophecie, due to his father knowledge.

About he married so soon maybe it's because of the brainwash or because he thought that it was the best way to moving on wit his life.
I think Lauren liked him, but, at the end, when she understand that he betrayed her, and that he loved Sydney a lot more and she had no chances, she didn't mind to kill him anymore.

We were never shown any strategic reason for Lauren marrying Vaughn. He wasn't a CIA agent at the time, and he wasn't working on sensitive projects. It never made sense. And Lauren had access to secret information through her own job anyway.

The only thing I could ever come up with is they wanted to keep an eye on him in case Sydney got free of Julia. Maybe they thought he had information about his father, or, his father programmed something into his brain Lauren wanted to spend late nights trying to retrieve.

yeah, maybe it had something to do with the fact that it was Vaughn's father who hid the Passenger way back and the Covenant thought he might know something about that so they had Lauren marry him to try and find out.

i think that vaughn mentioned something about lauren "using his grief" to get to him.
i think this meant that vaughn was so depressed about syd he was sort of using lauren as an excuse to move on, even if he never really did.

I think that Lauren married Vaughn to get information out of him. Information about the passenger that he might have recieved from daddy and info about Syd. The Covenant had her and they obviously knew that Syd and Vaughn had been together so I'm assuming that they put her there for info. I also think that Lauren may have come to love him but once Syd resurfaced and hs proved he loved her more Lauren kinda lost it and hated Syd and Vaughn for it.

I don't get why Lauren married Vaughn. He wasn't at the CIA. She could have married him to get info on the Passenger, but, Jack had figured out who she really was before Vaughn even knew about the Passenger. So, it seems like a waste. I don't think he was brainwashed, and I hope they don't go that route.

Maybe if Bill Vaughn had lived longer, he would have tried to bring Vaughn into it, but since he died when Vaughn was a kid, I don't think Vaughn knows anything, or is useful for information.

Back