Why do people lie?

I know I'm guilty of having lied at one time or another, even if it was just a white lie.
But what I can't stand is straight out-plain as day lying to get out of a situation. I think that just goes to show that you can't take the blame for something you did wrong.

And my mommy-in-law....misses sarah mac.....do you need a hug? b/c i'm sure mac and sam and I will be there!

I always lie to the customers at work! oops! hehe, i know im bad but they always ask silly things bout the store so i juz agree with them whateva, even if im telling a few white lies! LMAO! me bad!

nance said:
LMAO!!! today i wanted to go on AA at school during study period and she said "are you going on the computer for school related" and i'm like "of course!" HAH!!
i do that alot that's how i get on using school computers, but u have 2 b careful, if a teacher glances at the computer screen and cs what you're doind u can exd up in alot of trouble (it's a good thing that i've never gotten caught

btvaughn said:
I know I'm guilty of having lied at one time or another, even if it was just a white lie.
But what I can't stand is straight out-plain as day lying to get out of a situation. I think that just goes to show that you can't take the blame for something you did wrong.

And my mommy-in-law....misses sarah mac.....do you need a hug? b/c i'm sure mac and sam and I will be there!
YES! LMAO! But, me and Mac are still making out! LMAO! *runs up and hugs Bridget*

yah but the comp isn't facing her desk-- she can't see the comp-- only the back of it... HEHEHE but sometimes i'm so involved that when she comes up i freak and click the close button but thank god she's stuipd!

i dont know why ppl lie! i, like many ppl, have told tinywhite lies, "yes i did my homework," and "your hair is gorgeous" but nothing major and catastrophic! but i really dont know why ppl lie: maybe scared or just becuase they can and mess with ppl's minds, i really dont know why?!hmmm something to ponder on!

Sarah said:
btvaughn said:
But what I can't stand is straight out-plain as day lying to get out of a situation.  I think that just goes to show that you can't take the blame for something you did wrong.

And my mommy-in-law....misses sarah mac.....do you need a hug?  b/c i'm sure mac and sam and I will be there!
YES! LMAO! But, me and Mac are still making out! LMAO! *runs up and hugs Bridget*
Right back at you mommy!!

And I do hate lying....it makes me so angry to hear people flat out doing it.

Is it insecurites, attention, weakness? Why do we feel the need to?

nance said:
yah but the comp isn't facing her desk-- she can't see the comp-- only the back of it... HEHEHE but sometimes i'm so involved that when she comes up i freak and click the close button but thank god she's stuipd!
that's what i do

People lie because sometimes they back themselves into a corner and see it as the only way out. Some people lie through pure selfish means and because to tell a lie is seen as being easier than telling the truth and with people the way that we are now, we are always looking for a short cut or the easy way out.

they can be jealous, insecure, want to feel superior, etc.... some how they wan ttot be better than u..

lying is bad.. but everyone does it.. once in awhile.. some lies hurt. badly. lying sux..

On my perspective I lie to be polite...should you actully crush someone's "wonderful" idea they are going all out for if it is really irrelavent to anything significant.

I also lie, well sometimes a lie is easier then the truth....the truth is always shocking to anyone I tell it to. Then they go "You're kidding Marlene!!!" Then I get a long lecture.

So my purpose for lying is to enhance life. Is it really necessary to tell someone that you think thier favorite shirt is autrocious or that you beat a kid up because he deserved it, and face angry and shocked people? I honestly can't deal with annoyed people that shouldn't be because they asked. And people that make dumb assumptions that I have never ever done anything stupid or violent.

You make a good point Marlene. I've told white lies often, when I was the club captain of my swimming club it was basically part of the job description, I rarely felt good about it but sometimes you don't have a choice if you have to be polite.

Since when does politeness involve destroying your ethics...

I try to tell the truth in all situations even if it will be embarassing to me...even if it will hurt the other person's feelings...you can still be polite...you could change the subject...i mean...you never HAVE to lie...And I feel respect from people around me because I'm honest...especially with my teachers...they notice that I'm a trustworthy person and it feels good knowing that they hold me in high regard...telling the truth is so much easier in the end...lying is the cowardly thing to do

Back