Sci-Fi Why Does Sci Fi Have Such A Bad Rep?

I do not believe that the genre is so much socially rejected as much as the fact that the genre is most often associated with the 'geek' stereotype. I have come across many people that, upon first meeting them, would seem to be the type of person would have no interested in sci-fi but after getting to know them they turn out to be well versed in the genre or at least have their 'favorites' that that they enjoy.

By contrast, the 'geek' culture not only embrace sci-fi & other genres but are not shy about displaying their love for them. It is because of that openness that "sci-fi" & "geek" are often thought of together.

So to that end... not everyone who likes science fiction is a geek but most geeks like science fiction. I would be willing to bet that you talk with some of the people in your life who fit a stereotype other than the "geek" crowd, that you will find that some of them are ardent sci-fi fans as well.

Well, not so much dying, as comments made as to its mainstream appeal, lessening the 'geek' factor.

Well, not so much dying, as comments made as to its mainstream appeal, lessening the 'geek' factor.
... or perhaps the 'geek' factor is going more mainstream so the stigma of being labeled is geek is not the same as it once was. With so many in the entertainment industry, such as musicians & actors, embracing technology like bleeding edge cell phones & music players combined with video games being played a large percentage of adults, those traits are suddenly no longer geeky. Along with that, the sci-fi & fantasy genres, in particular fantasy (eg: the Harry Potter craze in recent years, now Twilight, shows like Buffy, Angel, & Charmed, etc.) have in recent years been at the forefront of pop culture.

The world at large has finally realized that in this modern electronic world, it is the geeks who rule. ;)

This is a view of scifi that has always annoyed me. It really bugs me that in this country you can take an obsessive interest in the people and goings on in a fictious London square or a street in a fictious northern street, and discuss the latest goings on to an irritating degree, yet you show the slightest interest in a sci fi series and people lump you in with the geeks and freaks who dress up in costumes and learn non existant languages.

What the hell is a non-existant language?
I believe Vladd is referring to languages that were crafted by design, such as Klingon from Star Trek and Elvin from Lord of the Rings, as opposed to 'natural' languages that evolved from actual usage.

Lol, I guess you're partly true, in a sense, but at the same time, everyone who enjoys Sci-Fi is not a geek - so not true.

1, I'm obsessed with Sci-Fi and I'm not a geek, I'm just physically and mentally smart.

2, who in the world told you it's socially rejected? 'Cause *ahem* ... last I checked, 5 more people joined the Sci-Fi book club. :O

3, fill me in about your accusation regarding Sci-Fi fans being geeks, please and thank you.

You don't think that sci fi lovers are stereotyped into the 6 foot 2 kid who has glasses and is playing Dungeons and Dragons with their best friend on a Saturday night? I am not saying that is what does happen; I am saying that's what the stereotype is.

When I said geeks and freaks I was refering to the narrow view some people have of scifi fans. Though some of the more obsessive fans do take it a little far. But each to their own if you aren't hurting anyone do what you like.

When I said geeks and freaks I was refering to the narrow view some people have of scifi fans. Though some of the more obsessive fans do take it a little far. But each to their own if you aren't hurting anyone do what you like.
Considering that my day job is a Code Monkey (aka: programmer), I proudly wear the Geeks & Freaks badge. ;)

People like to classify things. Scifi has the geek, action movies have the low brow jock, and pop music has the 13 year old girl archetype.
There are two kinds of people in the world, those who think there are two kinds of people in the world and those who know better.

Anyone watch the UFC here? Heard of Luke Cummo? He was on a season of the Ultimate Fighter and made it to the final (so yep, he can fight). He made a comment about people calling him a geek because he's into sci fi, which I thought was perfect:

"Geeks rule the world."

:D

Anyone watch the UFC here? Heard of Luke Cummo? He was on a season of the Ultimate Fighter and made it to the final (so yep, he can fight). He made a comment about people calling him a geek because he's into sci fi, which I thought was perfect:
Plus over in the wrestling world Dave Batista collects lunch boxes with a 1967 Green Hornet one being his favorite (was in a Entertainment Weekly article some issues back).

"Geeks rule the world."
Indeed. :D

Or "artifical languages" that are created but exist (barely) like Esperanto. Or, for that matter, computer languages.

To secondhand a post I saw on another forum, I think the real question here is:

If most of the major film blockbusters are all SciFi and Fantasy, why does the literature not rate?

GeekIsTheNewCool.jpg

The video explains it all... ;)

Back