Sci-Fi Why I'm Not a Trekkie

Tom

An Old Friend
Back in the 60's before I was even old enough for Kindergarten I was watching Star Trek.
I loved the ones with monsters! The salt creature actually scared me!
As I got older, I watched the reruns and other elements came to me.
The 'Event' was when me and some friends went to the opening night of Star Trek: The Motion Picture
I felt like I had met up with some old friends. The concept of an AI so powerful was not lost on me.
When TNG aired I was hesitant but sat and gave it a chance. I liked it.
Now at "Into Darkness", I'm feeling a bit under-whelmed at it. I was hoping that with a reboot it might get some new ideas for storylines and we would see some new technologies. I'm still waiting.
But thats not why I can't be fanatical over Star Trek.

Star Trek is too flawed.

Take the Enterprise, Awesome environment for a trek to the stars. The design is nothing special really. That's not what puts me off. What I hate is that it's supposed to have a computer that is intelligent and fast. There are redundant systems built in everywhere. You can count on something breaking or not working right in every episode. Either the engineering team needs to be fired or the whole ship needs scrapped and a new design implemented. Perhaps we just need to fire the writers that are so limited in their view.

I could type for hours on all the different aspects of this universe that make me Not a Fan but its all been written and complained about before.
-Aliens with human features
-Size similarities
-Planetary properties
-Kling-on anything (that idea was a failure from the start)
-Orientation in space
-Back-story episodes
... The list seems never ending

Star Trek needs to go back to it's mission.
Strange New Worlds
New Life
New Technologies

The Q was always one of my favorites. Problem is the writers limited his abilities.
The Q, is not omnipotent.
The Q, is not very advanced compared with a species that might have 1 billion years.
If the Q is the top of the evolutionary ladder in the Star Trek Universe it is doomed to failure.
The 'First Ones", Founders and all the other old species are still not very old.
It seems that no matter what science fiction it is there is always a long forgotten species that were masters of the universe but none ever exist. Forbidden Planet - Perfect example.

If the Reboot Star Trek wants to impress me. Discover an ancient species that still exists. Explore some really exotic technology. Show me some aliens that resemble the conditions for the planet they evolved on. Stop adhering to human concepts of right & wrong.

With transporter technology available - some people may prefer to do away with doors and windows in their homes. With nano-tech available there is no need for food production or medical facilities. Death and aging will also be gone - the only death you might experience is the death of the mind.
Back stories will still be needed to enhance the characters and explore their personalities but it should be based on feasible concepts.

Now, A universe I can really get into is the new Godzilla Universe!

Back