Why Irina Derevko is was the head of the Covenant

Bear with me here, it's a little long winded.

Irina Derevko was definitely the head of the late organization we know as the Covenant. First there is the circumstancial evidence and then there are the little hints dropped in by the writers in Season 3.

In Season One, we learn that there has been an organization headed up by The Man who we later learn is Irina Derevko. This organization employs none other than McKenas Cole, Sark, and Khasinau. The Covenant also employs the Cole, Sark, and many high ranking ex-KGB ers like Khasinau. Perhaps after Irina escaped from the CIA, she rounded up all her old colleagues from back in the days of 'The Man' and formed the Covenant in it's place. The Covenant does appear pretty soon after Irina's escape. In 3x09 Concious, Syd has a flashback where Vaughn tells her that they got a report on an emerging terrorist organization known as the Covenant.

Both The Man and Covenant were geared towards finding Rambaldi's endgame. Irina also hinted that she was after the passenger in 2x18 Truth Takes Time. She talks to Sloane about how he is a terrible husband and father, which is why they have their arrangement in the first place. Translation: "your an unfaithful husband, a deserting father, but now we need to find our daughter." All the way back in Season Two, Irina knew she was looking for her daughter. How? Dr. Li. He was working for Irina in the Season One finale, helping torture Will. We later learn that he was also the head of Soviet Passenger Reasearch. So he must have been the one to spill the beans about the passenger to Irina.

Now in Season 3, there were two really obvious hints that i;m surprised no one really picked up on. First was in 3x07 Prelude. Sloane gives Sydney a card with her handwriting. She had written a code which Jack confirms is a code used by Irina during the missing years. In 3x11, Full Disclosure, we learn that the Covenant forged the card. Meaning that the covenant knew Irina's codes, thus she must be somehow invovled. And then in 3x17 The Frame, Bomani says to Sydney that Irina will appreciate getting the Rambladi Box back.

And last but not least, Irina is killed and the Covenant falls apart at about the same time. Hmmm.

Anyways, I rambled on a bit but the timeline makes sense.

Season 1 - Irina pursues Rambaldi as 'The Man'

Season 2 - Irina hands herself in for the 47 Rambaldi artifacts.

Season 2 Early - 'The Man' organization falls apart.

Season 2 Late - Irina escapes and forms the Covenant.

Season 3 - Irina acts as director of the Covenant and picks up where she left off with 'The Man'.

Season 4 - Irina is killed by Jack and the Covenant collapses.

:asleep:

I'm not saying that I disagree, but there are some other factors that would need explaining. First being that Irena would have known what was going on with Sydney during the missing two years. (and she didn't let Jack know she was alive.) She knows about Julia Thorn and the scar (I don't have a problem with that) But what bothers me is that she would have been behind Lauren linking up with Vaughn and all the problems that caused. And wouldn't she also then been behind killing off Francie and replacing her with Allison?

She would then end up being the source for an unbelievable amount of pain that Sydney had to live through. I don't like the idea of Irena putting Sydney through so much. I want to believe that Irena loves her daughter. But then again, if she did and Jack found out that she was behind all of this, I could understand him having her killed. But then again, I don't believe that Irena is really dead.

So you think that "Irina's" demand of a price for saving Sydney's life in N Korea was straight, then? (Jack must show that he's willing to assassinate Sloane in exchange for Sydney's life.) I'm not so certain . . .

verdantheart said:
So you think that "Irina's" demand of a price for saving Sydney's life in N Korea was straight, then? (Jack must show that he's willing to assassinate Sloane in exchange for Sydney's life.) I'm not so certain . . .
[post="1250324"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I also just can't see irina being the cause of all of Sydney's pain - it just doesn't make sense. If it were true that Irina was behind sydney's kidnapping, allison's death, etc. then I think she'd be more evil than sloane - which is an interesting thought.

It still doesn't make sense to me why Jack would have had irina killed - what is the timeline on that? Until mid season three, Jack was still working with Irina to help sydney out. All of a sudden that changes when Jack mentions the passenger. Is that because Irina didn't want jack to know about the affair? Or because it would lead him to her being the head of the covenant?

I think it makes more sense structurally to have Jack and Irina still working together - along with Sloane - in order to bring about some sort of endgame that protects Sydney and now Nadia. Jack fakes Irina's death - and leaves a paper trail behind so that folks will believe it happened.

I mean seriously - would jack really leave documents that secret and important just chilling in a lock box in switzerland or austria or whereever they were? We're talking about Jack here - he doesn't leave papers around UNLESS he wants them FOUND. He's said it himself plenty of times - he would rather have Sydney believe his own lies and be hurt by them then have her know the truth.

In the end I think the "truth" will be about how the whole bristow clan and vaughn and sloane clan have been "cohooting" for thirty years.

kelleydn said:
I also just can't see irina being the cause of all of Sydney's pain - it just doesn't make sense.  If it were true that Irina was behind sydney's kidnapping, allison's death, etc. then I think she'd be more evil than sloane - which is an interesting thought.

It still doesn't make sense to me why Jack would have had irina killed - what is the timeline on that?  Until mid season three, Jack was still working with Irina to help sydney out.  All of a sudden that changes when Jack mentions the passenger.  Is that because Irina didn't want jack to know about the affair? Or because it would lead him to her being the head of the covenant? 

I think it makes more sense structurally to have Jack and Irina still working together - along with Sloane - in order to bring about some sort of endgame that protects Sydney and now Nadia.  Jack fakes Irina's death - and leaves a paper trail behind so that folks will believe it happened.

I mean seriously - would jack really leave documents that secret and important just chilling in a lock box in switzerland or austria or whereever they were?  We're talking about Jack here - he doesn't leave papers around UNLESS he wants them FOUND.  He's said it himself plenty of times - he would rather have Sydney believe his own lies and be hurt by them then have her know the truth. 

In the end I think the "truth" will be about how the whole bristow clan and vaughn and sloane clan have been "cohooting" for thirty years.
[post="1261629"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

new thought - maybe irina became head of the covenant in order to ensure Sydney's survival? That's how lauren knows about the lock box because if jack faked Irina's death - and irina was head of covenant - then lauren could have found out that intel somehow. Or irina and/or jack leaked it to lauren on purpose so sydney would know.

This is a good theory but I don't know why Irinia would try to make Sydney think she was Julia Thorn? Wouldn't she know if Jack conditioned Sydney so she couldn't be programmed? I read in the Alias magazine somewhere though that we will find out who was the head of the covenant it just didn't say when but it said soon. I think it could be Irinia though.

Back