why there no story (movie,TV,novle..) about good Future

An alternative slant might be to stipulate that dystopian SF is science faction.

My sharp as a pin 90 year old mother who is "trendy" enough to have thoroughly enjoyed, for example, the 2005 Live 8 concert which saw Pink Floyd reformed is nevertheless a living fossil. She yearns wistfully for the simpler days of her 1920s/30s childhood, and the peaceful uncomplicated -- to her -- decades of the 50s and 60s. In her mind the present is too fast, too complex, and Big Brother has become incarnate.

From this example, it is not difficult to postulate that an average citizen plucked from the past and plonked down in a future two or more generations into the future would find that future frightening and vastly less satisfactory than his own time. He may be surprised by some the technological advances, and even covet some or all of them, but the sociological changes would almost certainly be less to his taste.

Oh, futurama is somewhat Utopian
Wow! :eek: You think? Lobster doctors, Zap Brannigan & Robo-Santa! :tinfoilhat:
Let's not forget about Suicide Booths that look like phone booths, mutants living in "old" New York City, and a Southern California polluted with so much toxins in the air that it has formed a haze over the city.

Although I like the robots. At least the ones that don't want to "kill all humans".

Oh, just like with the media, doom and gloom makes for a more interesting story....that's it in a nutshel, it's not complicated. WHo would read a book that shows a future where humanity has achieved peace, complete satisfaction and a total lack of drama? Is that even possible with the human condition? That may be more fiction than anything I have ever thought of, lol.

Oh, just like with the media, doom and gloom makes for a more interesting story....that's it in a nutshel, it's not complicated. WHo would read a book that shows a future where humanity has achieved peace, complete satisfaction and a total lack of drama? Is that even possible with the human condition? That may be more fiction than anything I have ever thought of, lol.
It wasn't always that way though. Going back to the post-WWII era the sci-fi of the time more often than not dealt with a utopian future as that is what society was dreaming of at that point. As the image @Tim posted on the first page shows the future our society now imagines is more of a dystopia because it more accurately reflects what our reality is edging closer to.

Could be, I can certainly understand the point....but a lot of it is also just the nature of our pop-culture and the nagative minded twerps that seem to rule and develop it. Bad influences seem to have a more profound impact than the reverse.

Marge Piercy's: Woman on the Edge of Time, although admittedly writing about a woman with mental health issues, explored living in both utopian and dystopian societies which were just alien from the reality around us. Some dystopian stories are close to where we currently live (V for Vendetta for example)

If anybody is interested in a fun retro sci-fi style film, I am making a black and white web series that has a positive message. Here is the second episode and if you enjoy it, please check out the first episode and keep your eye open for the third this December.

:D:D Excellent (amateur?) movie! :smiley::alien::cool: I wish I were able to devote time to making one myself. If I did, I'd have to use animations, because I probably couldn't find enough people who want to be actors. :smiley::smiley::smiley::cool:

Thanks Imzadi. I shot the whole thing in my garage on a green screen. I made the sets using photoshop and printing the images out, making them into dioramas which I then photograph and then composite into the film. All the spaceships and the walker were miniature models shot at different film speeds. The actors are mostly friends with some acting talent. Check back to my website in late December for episode 3. www.neptunecinema.com

Minority Report was pretty close to an all-around happy ending. There was virtually no crime in the major cities at first, but the only problem was some of the people locked away for life were possibly innocent. But that problem was fixed at the end, when the father of pre-crime was revealed to be a killer. Pre-crime was closed down and all the "pre-convicts" were released and closely monitored.

Nearly every sci-fi movie starts out bad, or with something bad going on in secret that comes to light towards the middle. So a sci-fi movie or book with a positive story is one with a positive end in my opinion.

Just like any action movie set in the present, it isn't good if you don't think the bad guy might actually win, and all is hopeless.

Minority Report was pretty close to an all-around happy ending. There was virtually no crime in the major cities at first, but the only problem was some of the people locked away for life were possibly innocent. But that problem was fixed at the end, when the father of pre-crime was revealed to be a killer. Pre-crime was closed down and all the "pre-convicts" were released and closely monitored.
But wouldn't that scenario, of a big-brother type society being able to imprison you for something you were thinking of doing, be considered dystopian? Think only good thoughts or go to jail! In the end, when the system in place was dismantled, the chance of being falsely imprisoned went away but the chances of now being a murder victim was increased as well.

Yeah, i guess the moral to a dystopian story is that there is no such thing as a uptopian society, and the harder people try to make one, the worse off we get. But I still think Minority Report comes the closest.

Back