Politics Wicca, Witchcraft etc.

I won't even get into the spell casting stuff, except to tell you that you can't 'cast a spell' on anyone. No one can.

I do not believe in Wicca or witchcraft or spells personally but I can tell you that in many non-Western cultures, there have been age old cultural/religious traditions involving practices akin to spell casting. i.e. placing curses or charms on people/places

Who figured this out? When did they figure it out? 25 years ago? Do you really want to go though life believing something that someone made up 25 years ago? Why did it take thousands of years for this one person to discover this great mystery, 25 years ago? Again, I really need to know who this brilliant person is. Is it the person who wrote your book? I wonder how much money she has made off the book.

True plenty of people/groups make money off religion. Just look at how wealthy many established churches are. ;) But who is one to dismiss out of hand religious beliefs of others since these beliefs are necessarily spiritual in nature and can neither be proved or disproved? Plenty of people believe the Bible to be literally the word of God and that the world was created in 7 days. Was that something made up thousands of years ago? Who knows? ;)

AdrenalynKittie, since you're quite young I hope you'll be exploring all different kinds of religions before deciding if one, or any of them is right for you. :smiley:

ETA: I know nothing about the history of Wicca, but "witches" seem to have existed in history or folklore for centuries and are not a recent creation.

My friend is a practising Wicca.....she has a bunch of books and stuff. And this girl in my school says she has been in contact with her spirit animal guide, and her guardian angel but whether that is true or not. My friend, the Wicca person, and me once tried to contact our spirit guides but it was too noisy in the corridor outside of school. However, I did manage to like root myself and then I felt like I was flying over the school which was rather scary. I was just flying....it was so strange. Anyway, that's pretty much it. lol. Just wanted to post.

toria55 said:
AdrenalynKittie, I've read your answers, and I have to say that you still haven't told me what draws you to this particular cult.  Why is this important or real to you? 

What you described sounds an awful lot like the flower children of the 60's.  They believed in mother earth and love and peace.  They just didn't wear black or cast spells.  I won't even get into the spell casting stuff, except to tell you that you can't 'cast a spell' on anyone.  No one can.

Who figured this out?  When did they figure it out?  25 years ago?  Do you really want to go though life believing something that someone made up 25 years ago?  Why did it take thousands of years for this one person to discover this great mystery, 25 years ago?  Again, I really need to know who this brilliant person is.  Is it the person who wrote your book?  I wonder how much money she has made off the book.
[post="1084393"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Hey, I've been trying to be nice to you. Didn't I tell everyone in the beginning to be nice? Wicca is not a cult. If Wicca is a cult, so is every other religion out there. Do we go out and do animal/human sacrifices? NO! Do we brainwash people? NO! Do we try to get people to leave their non-Wiccan friends/family behind? NO! To be a cult, don't you have to at least do some of those things?

Do we even know that there was ever a Jesus? Some random person wrote the Bible. I would like to know who is cashing in on that book. Who figured out that there was Jesus, or that God created Earth?

By the way, there were many people who wrote this book. Not just one person.

I am appalled that you think everybody who is Wiccan wears black. Not even every Wiccan casts spells!

Why must you be so mean?

What draws me to this religion is that I like the, as you say, "Believing in mother earth and love and peace." Just so you know, Wicca has been around a lot longer than 25 years. It was just made an actual religion in the '80's. But it's been around a lot longer. Also, I like how males and females are equals, as they should be.

Don't you believe in love and peace?

You may not think you can cast a spell on someone, and mostly that's actually true. You can if you have their permission, otherwise you are infringing on their free will.

I'm going to treat you now the way you've been treating me, toria 55. See how you like it.

Everyone, please, be nice to me. Otherwise, I'll have to close this topic. Please, don't bash my religion, or I might end up bashing your's accidentally. All I want is a place for respectful people to ask nice questions, and a place for other Wiccans to talk about what it's like to be Wiccan.

P.S. I did not mean to sound disrespectful or mean or hateful of Christians. I was just trying to make a point that every religion has one or a couple of people that made it up.

Oh, spymaster, yes I have been exploring many religions. I'm still looking at all religions, but this seems to be the one I like best. :smiley:

AdrenalynKittie, there was nothing mean in what I said. I'm just asking you to explain your beliefs. If your choice is worth practicing, then it is worth explaining.

I won't insult you with the word cult, but I won't honor you with the word religion. Just because you call something a religion, it does not make it one.

Tell me why you are a Wicca. It's the first question I asked. What do you get out of it? Why is it real to you?

If you don't want to defend your life choices, then why post the topic?

If you only want questions, but no comments, then I will stop asking questions.

I do not believe in Wicca or witchcraft or spells personally but I can tell you that in many non-Western cultures, there have been age old cultural/religious traditions involving practices akin to spell casting. i.e. placing curses or charms on people/places
Spymaster, I realize this, but just because someone says they have the ability to change the course of someones life, by curses or other means, that does not mean that they actually can.

Spymaster, I realize this, but just because someone says they have the ability to change the course of someones life, by curses or other means, that does not mean that they actually can.

Oh I agree, but isn't all religion basically teaching about the "power" of some "higher being" to change the course of someone's life or afterlife? ;) Does that mean that they actually can? *shrugs*

All I am saying is we can't prove or dispel the "truth" of one religion or another when religion's generally all based on faith and not scientific evidence.

have any of you guys ever read the series called "Sweep?" its about wicca and stuff like that..and covens. its actually really cool, i wanted to start researching it but i kinda got sidetracked. :thinking:

toria55,

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sort of lash out at you. I think it was just the word 'cult' that got to me. I overreacted, like I usually do (my friends can tell you that). ;)

I have been having a bad day, but that does not excuse my poor judgement.

Let me tell you an experience I have had:
My friend Laura hates getting her blood taken by the doctor (she's scared), so I asked her if it would be okay if I could do a spell on her that would give her good health and good fortune. She said okay. So, I did my spell. Then, the next day, it turns out, that her doctor called and said she did not have to get her blood taken anymore.
Laura called me and told me that, and I concluded that my spell must've worked.
That is why Wicca is real to me, because the spell actually worked. Now, yes of course that could've been just a coincidence, but isn't it interesting?

What I get out of Wicca is the thought that I might be able to change my life or someone else's life for the better. If that isn't a good enough answer for you, I'm sorry but it is for me.

Okay, don't 'honor' me with the word religion, even though legally it is.

Once again, I am sorry that I lashed out, I was just overreacting.

Vaughnlover15, I have never heard of that series. Maybe I'll look into it. ^_^

Cool. Thanks for telling me about it. I needed new books to read anyway, I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird for Literature class right now, and it's boring ;) (sorry to anyone who likes the book), and I have read everyy other book I have, so it's time for new ones lol.

toria55 said:
AdrenalynKittie, I've read your answers, and I have to say that you still haven't told me what draws you to this particular cult.  Why is this important or real to you? 

What you described sounds an awful lot like the flower children of the 60's.  They believed in mother earth and love and peace.  They just didn't wear black or cast spells.  I won't even get into the spell casting stuff, except to tell you that you can't 'cast a spell' on anyone.  No one can.

Who figured this out?  When did they figure it out?  25 years ago?  Do you really want to go though life believing something that someone made up 25 years ago?  Why did it take thousands of years for this one person to discover this great mystery, 25 years ago?  Again, I really need to know who this brilliant person is.  Is it the person who wrote your book?  I wonder how much money she has made off the book.
[post="1084393"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yeah i wanna sorta know this to. like, how did you get started with wicca in the first place? you said you casted a spell on your friend, but how did you know what to do? it kinda seems like youre avoiding this question.

Technically, all religions are cults. "The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual." However, cult has many negative connotations with it, which is why people generally react in a defensive manner when they are told they belong to a cult. I know I don't particularly feel warm and fuzzy when people tell me I belong to a cult.

Religion: Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

Wicca is a recognized religion. "Wiccan and other Neopagan groups have been recognized by governments in the US and Canada and given tax exempt status. Wiccan priests and priestesses have been given access to penitentiaries in both countries, and the privilege of performing handfastings/marriages. On 2001-MAR-15, the list of religious preferences in the U.S. Air Force Personnel Data System (MilMod) was augmented to include: Dianic Wicca, Druidism, Gardnerian Wicca, Pagan, Seax Wicca, Shamanism, and Wicca." Is Wicca A Religion?

If one is truly interested in learning about the roots of Wicca, "Wicca and Witchcraft For Dummies" is a fairly easy to read book and required reading in my local coven (although I say my, I only mean in my area, I am not Wiccan).

Here is also a very nicely done FAQ

AdrenalynKittie, even though you are young, you are old enough to know if your path is the correct one. Stay the course if you are confident of your path. :smiley:

NoVeil said:
Technically, all religions are cults.  "The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual."  However, cult has many negative connotations with it, which is why people generally react in a defensive manner when they are told they belong to a cult.  I know I don't particularly feel warm and fuzzy when people tell me I belong to a cult.   

Religion: Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

Wicca is a recognized religion.  "Wiccan and other Neopagan groups have been recognized by governments in the US and Canada and given tax exempt status. Wiccan priests and priestesses have been given access to penitentiaries in both countries, and the privilege of performing handfastings/marriages. On 2001-MAR-15, the list of religious preferences in the U.S. Air Force Personnel Data System (MilMod) was augmented to include: Dianic Wicca, Druidism, Gardnerian Wicca, Pagan, Seax Wicca, Shamanism, and Wicca."  Is Wicca A Religion?

If one is truly interested in learning about the roots of Wicca, "Wicca and Witchcraft For Dummies" is a fairly easy to read book and required reading in my local coven (although I say my, I only mean in my area, I am not Wiccan). 

AdrenalynKittie, even though you are young, you are old enough to know if your path is the correct one.  Stay the course if you are confident of your path.  :smiley:
[post="1085604"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Thank you!!!! I have trouble explaining things to people, so thank you so much!!! I have that book, "Wicca and Witchcraft For Dummies". That was one of the first things I read specifically about Wicca.

And I do feel confident that this is the right path for me.

Once again, thank you so much!!! Sometimes my words get all mashed together in my mind, and when I try to say things, they come out different than I thought they would.

Any time :smiley:

I enjoy learning about different religions even though I firmly believe in my own and have no intentions of changings faiths.

I am planning on going to see the High Priestess of the local coven, with my friend, so I can go to circle with her. Just gotta find a weekend when husband can watch the kiddies so I can go do it.

You don't hae to be a certain age or a certain gender. You could be female and two, or male and 102 and still be Wiccan. I am female and 14, and here I am, a Wiccan!
No, lol, I meant to join a coven, not to be a wiccan. ^_^

"Christmas against AdrenalynKittie"...lol! I actually celebrate the Esbats and Sabbats (witch "holidays" I guess) AND Christmas and Easter and other Christian-related holidays. I do this because basically, my family is ALL Christian(or Catholic), with the exception of a few.
Thanks once again for the questions!
Yeah, same over here. I haven't 'believed' in god or Christianity since I was about 6/7/8, but I've always celebrated Chritmas, just out of tradition. And 'cause I really love to buy my family and friends presents. And I really love wrapping presents. And making greetings cards. And, evidently, straying OffTopic, so I shall stop. :lol:

Jai

AdrenalynKittie said:
Cool. Thanks for telling me about it. I needed new books to read anyway, I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird for Literature class right now, and it's boring ;)  (sorry to anyone who likes the book), and I have read everyy other book I have, so it's time for new ones lol.
[post="1085543"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

im reading to kill a mockingbird too!! it is VERY boring, i m supposed to read the last 4 chapters for tonight.haha. yeah RIGHT. and ur welcome! :D

i thought to kill a mockingbird was a good book. im mean, shure there were some dull parts, but when you analyze it, its really deep and interesting.

Y'know what's funny? Most of the Christian holidays are actually based on the Sabbats: i.e. Yule is celebrated near Christmas (ever heard of the Yule log? ^_^), and Candlemass (which I think is Christian, correct me if I'm wrong) is celebrated on the Wiccan Festival of Lights (or more commonly known as Imbolc or Brigid).

Poor Kitty, getting drilled and all. Here's a bit of my background: I've been interesting in the Craft ever since I was very, very young, about 10 I believe. Soon afterwards, I saw the show Charmed for the first time. That made me even more interested so I began researching on the topic and developed Wiccan beliefs.

About two years ago, I was able to take a mini-enrichment course at my local university on witchcraft (offered to all middle/high school students) and I learned some more plus a few ways on how to cast spells, do rituals and the like. My instructor was a witch (obviously) and I was glad I was able to take that course. If I was allowed, I could do all sorts of spells and benefit everyone cuz I'm really good at creating spells.

At the beginning of the Wheel of the Year, is the first Sabbat Samhain aka Hallowe'en. This is very special to me because it's my mother's birthday. But I just celebrate it as any other birthday. :cool:

Kitty, do you select a specific God and Goddess for your rituals or do you just use the generic roles?

Well, I don't really have a question, just wanted to give AdrenalynKittie props for making the topic. A lot of people just don't understand Wiccan/Pagan/etc. religions and assume the worst. I'm a spiritual atheist, so I feel your pain :lol: I always get the assumptions that I'm evil, or that I worship the devil (which somehow makes sense for someone who doesn't believe in a god :rolleyes: ) My general opinion on religion is that; if your faith, religion, or lack of one (in my case) makes you feel better about yourself and your life.. if it gives you some meaning or purpose.. then that is all that matters. Hopefully people can keep that in mind when they ask you questions ;)

aliasundercover said:
I always get the assumptions that I'm evil, or that I worship the devil (which somehow makes sense for someone who doesn't believe in a god  :rolleyes: )
[post="1087680"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
So, so, so very true!
My general opinion on religion is that; if your faith, religion, or lack of one (in my case) makes you feel better about yourself and your life.. if it gives you some meaning or purpose.. then that is all that matters.
Well said.

Jai

(And sorry for this nothingness post!)

toria55 said:
I won't insult you with the word cult, but I won't honor you with the word religion.  Just because you call something a religion, it does not make it one.

If you don't want to defend your life choices, then why post the topic?
[post="1084982"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
hmm. just because christianity is widely accepted and dominant, we shouldn't "honor" others with a single little word? it reminds me of marriage vs. civil union. whatever you call it, everyone deserves it, regardless of the circumstance.

NoVeil said:
Technically, all religions are cults.  "The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual."  However, cult has many negative connotations with it, which is why people generally react in a defensive manner when they are told they belong to a cult.  I know I don't particularly feel warm and fuzzy when people tell me I belong to a cult.   

Wicca is a recognized religion.  "Wiccan and other Neopagan groups have been recognized by governments in the US and Canada and given tax exempt status. Wiccan priests and priestesses have been given access to penitentiaries in both countries, and the privilege of performing handfastings/marriages. On 2001-MAR-15, the list of religious preferences in the U.S. Air Force Personnel Data System (MilMod) was augmented to include: Dianic Wicca, Druidism, Gardnerian Wicca, Pagan, Seax Wicca, Shamanism, and Wicca."  Is Wicca A Religion?

AdrenalynKittie, even though you are young, you are old enough to know if your path is the correct one.  Stay the course if you are confident of your path.  :smiley:
[post="1085604"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

thank you for providing this! :smiley:

and kat! you're wicca? awesome!

all of you. i appreciate your courage. :smiley:

Back