Wild Horses

SkyGirl5

Cadet
:hi:

Title: Wild Horses
Genre: S/V AU - fluffy YAY!
Summary: Sydney is an Mennonite girl trapped in her monotonous life on the farm. Michael Vaughn is a lawyer, who by chance runs into Sydney one day while out for a jog. Their chance meeting sparks a relationship that is forbiden in her world.

A/N: yeah, see i hear ya'll laughin' at me already - but there's no need to do that, because my beta's already laughed endlessly/teased merclously etcetcetc. Sounds strange, yes, I know, but I REALLY love this fic and I am from Amish/Mennonite country so... well there ya go :P
I tried to make this fic pretty accurate (not that i think you guys are experts on the amish :lol:smiley: but if you guys are interested in learning more (who knows ya might be - especially those of you from outside the US/Canada) i can find some links of info for ya

oh and the lyrics [put in spoiler tags just so they dont stretch out the post]
Wild Horses by Natasha Bedingfield
I feel these four walls closing in
Face up against the glass
I'm looking out, hmmm
Is this my life I'm wondering
It happened so fast
How do I turn this thing around
Is this the bed I chose to make
It's greener pastures I'm thinking about
Hmm, wide open spaces far away

All I want is the wind in my hair
To face the fear but not feel scared

Ooh, wild horses I wanna be like you
Throwing caution to the wind, I'll run free too
Wish I could recklessly love like I'm longing to
I wanna run with the wild horses
Run with the wild horses, oh

Yeah, oh oh, ye-yeah

I see the girl I wanna be
Riding bare-back, care-free
Along the shore
If only that someone was me
Jumping head-first, head-long
Without a thought
To act and down the consequence
How I wish it could be that easy
But fear surrounds me like a fence
I wanna break free

All I want is the wind in my hair
To face the fear, but not feel scared

Oooh, wild horses I wanna be like you
Run with the wild horses, oh

I wanna run too
Oooh oh oh oh
Recklessly emboundening myself before you
I wanna open up my heart
Tell him how I feel, ooh ooh

Oooh, wild horses I wanna be like you
Run with the wild horses
Run with the wild horses

Ooh ooooh ooh ooh ye-yeah yeah oohh
I wanna run with the wild horses, ooooh

oh this is 25 chapters.

Chapter 1
Sydney Bristow walked slowly along the gravel edge of a narrow country road on her twenty-third birthday. Sure, it was her birthday, but it was just another busy day on the farm. But like every day around lunch, she was taking a half hour walk along the road. Sometimes, she just needed to get out and clear her head or it all became too much. The road she was walking along was very desolate most of the time. Occasionally a car passed, maybe sometimes a horse drawn buggy, but that was rare. After all, the road led to nowhere. It simply went to her family’s farm, then to another farm and became a dead end, so the traffic was minimal.

That particular day when she was walking along the road, kicking stones out of her way, she looked up and noticed a man in the distance jogging along the road wearing only shorts, no shirt. Strange, she thought, it was only late April so it wasn’t that warm in their rural town in Pennsylvania, but then again she supposed that if a person were running with the noon sun beating on them it could be quite warm.

As the man approached her, she debated what to do when they passed. She would have chosen to hide in the cornfield, which was only two feet to her left, but since it was only April, the corn had barely begun to grow. Instead, she decided to just step aside and hope he was too focused on his running to notice her.

Looking up again, she saw that a pickup truck was also approaching, and by the way it was kicking up dust and dirt as it went, it was going very, very fast. As she watched, the truck began to swerve back and forth along the road. The jogging man, who appeared to be wearing some sort of head set in his ears, didn’t even notice until the truck passed so closely to him that he was knocked over and crashed somewhat painfully into the gravel below him.

“Oh no!” Sydney gasped as the truck passed her. She ran over to the now injured man and crouched down beside him. “Are you ok? Ohh you’re bleeding,” she gasped at the gashes in his leg.

“I’m fine,” he moaned as he pulled his headphones from his ears. “It’s ok... it’s not... HOLY felgercarb!” he gasped.

“What?” she asked.

“You... you’re... Amish...” he exclaimed as he surveyed her white bonnet, and simple dress with straight pin fastenings and a plain, maroon, floral print.

She laughed softly. “No, I’m Mennonite.”

“Um, same difference?”

“No, not the same,” she shook her head.

“What’s the difference?” he asked.

“How about we focus on your blood first?” she suggested.

“Oh, right, that... doesn’t hurt, I’m fine,” he said as he got up, wincing slightly.

“But you’re bleeding profusely. You need to clean that up,” she told him as she looked at his leg.

“I’m fine... I’m not that far from... well, actually I’m far from everywhere.” He laughed.

“Come on, come with me,” she sighed as she began walking towards her farm.

“Wait a second, where are we going? And are you supposed to be talking to me? I’m Michael by the way. Michael Vaughn,” he told her as he limped to catch up.

“We’re going to clean your leg and no, my father would not be happy if he knew I was talking to you, Mr. Vaughn.”

“It’s Michael,” he corrected.

“Fine, Michael, my name is Sydney.” She smiled softly at him.

“So, can I ask you something, I’ve always wanted to ask one of you?”

“One of you?!” she gasped in offense.

He cringed. “Sorry, that sounded wrong.”

“Go on,” she sighed.

“Well, don’t you get hot in all that... getup thing.” He gestured towards her clothing.

She laughed softly and shook her head. “No, I don’t. Occasionally, but mostly no. I’ve worn this my whole life. I believe you build up a level of tolerance to the heat.”

“Whatever, I’d die. I have a low tolerance to heat,” he said.

“Which explains why you’re not wearing a shirt,” she noted. He folded his arms over his chest nervously. A minute of walking later, they came to a small white painted shed.

“What the hell is this?” Michael asked.

“A water pump,” she told him.

“Uh, shouldn’t this be like, closer to your farm?” he asked as he watched her pull a white rag from her pocket and wet it with the pump.

“This is an old one belonging to a farm house that is now knocked down. We just never removed it,” she explained. “Give me your leg.”

“Ahh,” he hissed as she began to wash the gravel and dirt from his cut leg.

“Sorry,” she said quietly. “What is it exactly that you do, Michael?”

“I’m a lawyer,” he told her.

“Interesting. Do you go to court?” she asked.

“No, I’m not an attorney, I just help people with legal documents like wills and stuff like that.”

“I see.”

“How old are you?” he asked.

She looked up at him momentarily before focusing back on his leg. “Today is my twenty-third birthday.”

“Oh, happy birthday then. You having a party?” he asked.

“We don’t have parties.”

“Ah that sucks. You gotta have some cake or something. Did ya at least get a present?”

“I asked my father for a new bridle for Carrot,” she told him.

“What?”

“Carrot, my horse,” she explained.

“Ohh cool. Do you ride her?”

“No, she isn’t saddle broken. She was used to pull the buggy until she hurt her foot. Now we just keep her because I won’t let my dad get rid of her,” Sydney told him.

“Buggy hmm? You guys really use them?” he asked.

“My mother and I do. My father drives a car. So does my brother,” she told him before standing up straight. “There, your leg is clean now but you should really put something on it.”

“Thanks,” he smiled at her. “So... your dad and brother can drive but you can’t?” he asked.

“No, I can drive. The car and the tractor, I’m just not allowed to have a license,” she told him.

“Oh... but I thought Amish people couldn’t drive cars,” he said stupidly.

She shook her head. “I’m not Amish.”

“Right... so what’s the difference?” he asked.

She laughed softly. “Weren’t we just here?”

“Yes, but you never answered me.” He smiled. She smiled and blushed softly when he smiled at her.

“SYDNEY!” came a distant yell.

“Oh! I have to go, I’m sorry. I hope your leg doesn’t hurt too badly,” she said as she began to walk away.

“Wait! Will you be here tomorrow? Same time?” he asked.

She paused for a moment before answering. She knew she shouldn’t, but she wanted to more than anything. “Down there, the bend in the road.” She pointed down the road.

“I’ll be there.” He smiled.

:thinking:

“Oh no!” Sydney gasped as the truck passed her. She ran over to the now injured man and crouched down beside him. “Are you ok? Ohh you’re bleeding,” she gasped at the gashes in his leg.

“I’m fine,” he moaned as he pulled his headphones from his ears. “It’s ok... it’s not... HOLY felgercarb!” he gasped.

“What?” she asked.

“You... you’re... Amish...” he exclaimed as he surveyed her white bonnet, and simple dress with straight pin fastenings and a plain, maroon, floral print.

She laughed softly. “No, I’m Mennonite.”
I have no idea what's a Mennonite?! But the begining sounds interesting!! Please add me to your PM list. Can't wait for more :D

so this is the new fic
im so intruiged i know nothing about ammish and minni..... so yer this is intresting the only thing ive seen of the amishh was in that movie with tim allen oh and on las vegas
so yer this is cool

I really like that idea!!! It's so cool! I never would have thought about that kind of a thing. It's really going to be an interesting story. I can't wait until they get together though. I never can. :smiley:

Please PM me when you update :D Thanks!!!

so this is the new fic
im so intruiged i know nothing about ammish and minni..... so yer this is intresting the only thing ive seen of the amishh was in that movie with tim allen oh and on las vegas
so yer this is cool
:rotflmao: the tim allen movie :laughbounce:
that'll give you a pretty good idea ;)

Interesting...:smiley:... I wonder how everything will go between them. They seem so different...

I'm not from the US so I don't know a lot about Amish, just some basic facts...I would love to have some info on them....

Can't wait for the next part, please keep PMing me when you post more

Ooh I love the idea of this fic! :smiley: Please keep me on the PM list.

Awwww......this sounds like a really cute story!!! I have ALWAYS LOVED the forbidden love thing. I wanna stay on the list! Thanks a bunch for the PM!
Lindsay :angelic:

Uooh I'm confused. I don't know anything about "Amish/Mennonite".
However, I'm intrigued and absolutely loved the concept. :P

This sounds interesting! But I have know idea what Amish/Mennonite is so maybe you could explain it? :thinking: More then that they obviously live where ít is millions of miles away for towns and that they know how to drive a tractor. This sonds like where I live so I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun reading this. I would like a PM when you update.

Hummm... Different but interesting, you have yet to disappoint, so please keep me on the PM list... Thanks (y)

reminds me of a harrison ford movie we watched in English class one year... we studied it, i dont remember the name, but yeah... pm me! thanks janet :lol:

Back