Will creatures gain exp or power?

Zhelas

Cadet
I am not sure if this has been discussed.

Will creatures/monsters gain experience from killing adventurers? The more the creature kills folks it gains in levels. Of course there could be a cap on it, maybe 5 to 10 trains over their default training.

Or even the ol'.. 'giant beetle' One that has slain so many neophytes that it has GROWN IN HUNGER FOR FLESH!
I like the idea. LoL

The Setting: Near an old fishing hole beside an idyllic village.

Old Man with a heavy accent: "You bes' watchout fo' big Bertha if'n you you goin' down ta fish. I hea' five o' so years ago that durn beasty got a taste o' some'on's flesh and da damn thangs been growin more onery ever sence. Sence it got Dave's leg last year it must'a grown at least five foot"

Young upstart with a fishing pole: "Yeah, yeah, whatever, it's a fish for crying out loud, not a dragon. Fish don't eat people."

Five minutes later the old man glances over in the direction of the fishing hole. A loud splashing sound is heard along with roaring and screams. As silence falls back over the scene, the old man shakes his head

"Make that six foot"

Speaking of which.. I really hope Hero's Journey doesn't stretch it's NPC models too much like Knight Online. The next tier of a certain class didn't look harder, no. It was the exact same look, yet the monster was slightly bigger.

Awesome, Gate. Awesome. I do hope that there are creatures which can gain notoriety, though, with the number of people out there seeking glory, it seems unlikely.

Also, I hope that there are a wide variety of creatures for different environments. Especially underwater, as that's so very often ignored. I want to take down a sea monster! Get down in the water and give it a good jab to the eye with my spear! Rah! It'd be all sorts of over-the-top excellent.

I don't think they've revealed if people can go underwater yet or not, but it seems like you can go on a Pirate Ship! Arr! Who needs a spear when you can just shoot a harpoon at them! *Looks up to see Moby ----* We might need a bigger harpoon.

Well, you wouldn't necessarily have to dive underwater to do what I said, but I can see how that could be inferred. You'd only have to be able to swim, and since that's already been confirmed... But yeah, diving would help. Otherwise it's basically "Wait until they surface, stab, repeat." Really, though, I was thinking of the sea monster in Shining Force II. You know, it was in the river... well, I guess that means it's not a "sea" monster, but you know what I mean. Anyway, yeah...

I don't see a problem, especially with the older creatures. That if they disarm you they can pick up your weapon and attack you with it. Or if they kill you they loot your body. Such as some money, gems, wands, scroll, weapon...etc etc.

Now I know folks are going to cry I HATE THAT. Honestly it really isn't that bad. You would just send out a thought to someone and say X creature just took my Weapon of Incredible Awesome Power, can you help me get it back?

Folks got pissed off in Gemstone when the Shan (essentially Wolf/Dog warriers, rangers, clerics, and wizards) would disarm you steal your weapon and then kill you with it. However, a stronger community was built. Normally folks would assist in killing said creature and return the weapon. If someone chose to keep it for themselves, that was normally frowned upon.

A bit off subject. I wouldn't mind being able to blast or cut off a creature limb then picking it up and beating the creature to death with its own arm or leg.

Zhelas said:
I don't see a problem, especially with the older creatures. That if they disarm you they can pick up your weapon and attack you with it. Or if they kill you they loot your body. Such as some money, gems, wands, scroll, weapon...etc etc.

Now I know folks are going to cry I HATE THAT. Honestly it really isn't that bad. You would just send out a thought to someone and say X creature just took my Weapon of Incredible Awesome Power, can you help me get it back?

Folks got pissed off in Gemstone when the Shan (essentially Wolf/Dog warriers, rangers, clerics, and wizards) would disarm you steal your weapon and then kill you with it. However, a stronger community was built. Normally folks would assist in killing said creature and return the weapon. If someone chose to keep it for themselves, that was normally frowned upon.

Ehhhhh. I'd say I had no problems with this kind of system if HJ had a normal weapon system. But honestly, if a monster picked up my family heirloom sword that I'd carefully cultivated since my first level in the game, and then beat me to death with it... I would not be amused. If I had to seek aid in getting it back and had the potential to lose it forever, I'd be beyond pissed. For one thing it doesn't fit in with the heroic theme of the game, and for another, it would feel like I was being robbed, and not even by another player who could at least enjoy the results of his thievery.

Now- for this system, were you thinking that if you went back to that monster you could retrieve your weapon, or that the very next person who killed that monster got your weapon and stolen loot? Cause that would make all the difference in the world to me. For instance- there are very OOC events in online games, like downtime and needing to go to work. The last thing I'd want would be to have to stay up half the night losing sleep so I could get my goddamned weapon back before anyone else could get it. Or worse, end up screaming and kicking at my router which decided to lose connection just as someone else came in to pick up my loot.

Gate said:
Ehhhhh. I'd say I had no problems with this kind of system if HJ had a normal weapon system. But honestly, if a monster picked up my family heirloom sword that I'd carefully cultivated since my first level in the game, and then beat me to death with it... I would not be amused. If I had to seek aid in getting it back and had the potential to lose it forever, I'd be beyond pissed. For one thing it doesn't fit in with the heroic theme of the game, and for another, it would feel like I was being robbed, and not even by another player who could at least enjoy the results of his thievery.

Now- for this system, were you thinking that if you went back to that monster you could retrieve your weapon, or that the very next person who killed that monster got your weapon and stolen loot? Cause that would make all the difference in the world to me. For instance- there are very OOC events in online games, like downtime and needing to go to work. The last thing I'd want would be to have to stay up half the night losing sleep so I could get my goddamned weapon back before anyone else could get it. Or worse, end up screaming and kicking at my router which decided to lose connection just as someone else came in to pick up my loot.

The thing is one adapts. Word gets out that X creature steals and loots from you. Players know that it SUCKS to lose your weapon. It becomes a norm that if you were to be disarmed the community helps to get your weapon back and thus returning it to you.

It is not uncommon in Gemstone if one finds a unique item off a creature, they would find a bard who would lore sing it to see if it had a previous owner. Announce on the general chat if someone lost a weapon in X creature area. If you did whisper the description of it to me for verification.

Most folks will hold onto the weapon for atleast a week. So if you were disarmed, killed then your internet went down or your computer crashed. If you came back the next day and ask if anyone found your weapon, normally folks there would know who found it.

The major problem that I see with that kind of find and return system is that it falls under the heading of "quaint but naive" once it makes the transition from a niche game like gemstones to a full 3D MMO filled with moneygrubbing teenage boys. As I love to play the devil's advocate, my motto is "With any idea, consider not just how neat it can be, but how horribly it can be abused."

In a perfect world or a niche gaming market, I'd agree with you, but not in a full fledged graphic MMO.

Gate said:
The major problem that I see with that kind of find and return system is that it falls under the heading of "quaint but naive" once it makes the transition from a niche game like gemstones to a full 3D MMO filled with moneygrubbing teenage boys. As I love to play the devil's advocate, my motto is "With any idea, consider not just how neat it can be, but how horribly it can be abused."

In a perfect world or a niche gaming market, I'd agree with you, but not in a full fledged graphic MMO.

I can certainly agree with that. However what goes around turns around. Player X recovers someone's Weapon of Uberness and decides to sell it because they are a snert. Word gets around that this happened. Said player is labeled a thief. When said money grubbing theif requests help they don't get it. And PvP retribution can happen.

A different aspect of this when hunting creatures that can disarm and steal your weapon, is to carry a cheaper weapon that if you lose it no big deal. Or carry a back up. Also if you are going to hunt in that area, group hunt so if you die and the creature took your weapon your group can recover the item.

There are ways around this aspect of the game. Hunting should have some challenge to it besides who can do the most Damage Per Second. And this comes from someone who solo hunted 90% of the time in Gemstone, yet group hunted in the Shan.

Problem: The whole "I lost my weapon, help me!" thing doesn't mix well with RP. I mean, you could post a reward for it at the local pub, but then in-character, a bunch of people are either going to go "Ooh, I bet I can trick the reward off of him!" or "Hey, I want that, and I don't need the money right now!" In other words, while that system may work from a player's perspective, it certainly wouldn't from a character's.

Problem: The whole "I lost my weapon, help me!" thing doesn't mix well with RP. I mean, you could post a reward for it at the local pub, but then in-character, a bunch of people are either going to go "Ooh, I bet I can trick the reward off of him!" or "Hey, I want that, and I don't need the money right now!" In other words, while that system may work from a player's perspective, it certainly wouldn't from a character's.

Honestly it isn't too bad. If you die and a cleric happens to come by to resurect you. You could say that a Shan Warrier stripped me of my weapon of ultimate uberness. Together they could hunt down the warrier. Or if you could send out a thought saying. "Warning there is a shan warrier armed with my Weapon of Mass Destruction. If you happen to kill it I would like to have it back." "Offering 5000 silvers reward for the return of my weapon"

What kills me are the folks that say. "I lost my weapon. If you C it please give it to me. Otherwise I will have to get my friends 60 to go get it back."

Back