Horror Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built (2018)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Winchester

Tagline: Terror is building.

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Director: Michael Spierig, Peter Spierig

Cast: Jason Clarke, Helen Mirren, Sarah Snook, Finn Scicluna-O'Prey, Emm Wiseman, Alana Fagan, Rebecca Makar, Tyler Coppin, Michael Carman, Angus Sampson, Alice Chaston, Eamon Farren, Laura Brent, Adam Bowes, Bruce Spence, Phoenix Suhrou-Diamond, Jayden Irving, Rosco Campbell, Puven Pather, Tom Heath, Curtis Bock, Andy de Lore, Graham Jahne, Hayden Stewart, Chris Anderson, Laura Sutton, Robert Shook, Richard Anastasios, Will Jones, Luke Maizey, James Baldwin, Neil Solomano, Amos Ciza, Red Horse Rivera, Timothy Brown, Kym Lannin, Christian Rhodes-Wolfe, Albert Trajstman, Xavier Gouault, Gawi Deng, Ryuhei Tsukamoto, Shane Holloway, Michael Boyd, Elisa Abascal, Akosia Sabet, Stephanie Beall, Clancy Fraser, Chris Homa, Rose Juan, Douglas Embry, Jeffrey W. Jenkins, Dawayne Jordan, Jeff Lipary, Homero Lopez, Marcus Orelias

Release: 2018-02-02

Runtime: 100

Plot: San Jose, California, 1906. Isolated in her labyrinthine mansion, eccentric firearm heiress Sarah Winchester believes that she is being haunted by the souls of those killed by the guns manufactured by her company.
Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built (2018)

I may just have to make a point of catching this movie when it comes as I've always been fascinated with the Winchester house.

To back that up a bit, the Winchester house in San Jose, California, is a massive Gothic style mansion with 160+ rooms and is 24,000+ square feet built over the span of 38 years starting in 1884. It was built by Sarah Winchester who was the widow of William Winchester who was the founder of the gun company that bears his name. After the death of both her husband and daughter Sarah moved cross-coast to the West and started construction. Ultimately the house would be a huge seven story (a 7 story house!) complex with all of the modern conveniences of the time including elevators. Even after an earthquake in 1906 the house is still four stories.

It's an impressive house but why it is so big is the interesting part.

Sarah supposedly believed that she was being haunted by the spirits of those killed by the guns her husband & his company made. To evade the spirits in her home she purposely built the house in a maze-like fashion with stairs that went nowhere and often with odd sized steps, doors that were not entrances, windows in interior walls, and even bathrooms that were purely for decoration. Sarah herself insisted on sleeping in a different room every night and had an obsession with the number 13. All were efforts to confuse the wandering spirits.

The house now acts as a tourist attraction and remains a popular attraction for fans of the supernatural. Over the years it has entered pop culture as the inspiration for various movies and references.

With an expected release of February, 2018, Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built stars Helen Mirren and offers a different take on the story, that perhaps Sarah wasn't building a house to evade the spirits to but to contain them.

I may just have to make a point of catching this movie when it comes as I've always been fascinated with the Winchester house.

To back that up a bit, the Winchester house in San Jose, California, is a massive Gothic style mansion with 160+ rooms and is 24,000+ square feet built over the span of 38 years starting in 1884. It was built by Sarah Winchester who was the widow of William Winchester who was the founder of the gun company that bears his name. After the death of both her husband and daughter Sarah moved cross-coast to the West and started construction. Ultimately the house would be a huge seven story (a 7 story house!) complex with all of the modern conveniences of the time including elevators. Even after an earthquake in 1906 the house is still four stories.

It's an impressive house but why it is so big is the interesting part.

Sarah supposedly believed that she was being haunted by the spirits of those killed by the guns her husband & his company made. To evade the spirits in her home she purposely built the house in a maze-like fashion with stairs that went nowhere and often with odd sized steps, doors that were not entrances, windows in interior walls, and even bathrooms that were purely for decoration. Sarah herself insisted on sleeping in a different room every night and had an obsession with the number 13. All were efforts to confuse the wandering spirits.

The house now acts as a tourist attraction and remains a popular attraction for fans of the supernatural. Over the years it has entered pop culture as the inspiration for various movies and references.

With an expected release of February, 2018, Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built stars Helen Mirren and offers a different take on the story, that perhaps Sarah wasn't building a house to evade the spirits to but to contain them.

Winchester makes good guns n' ammo too. LOL! Yehaw, but yes it is indeed an interesting story to say the least....

Precisely my type of movie! Helen Mirren? She'll own the role.
I hope ghosts are the new zombie

Yeah think the zombie tropes are played out, having said that TWD is going a different root season 8 and have The Girl With All the Gifts ready to watch.

Always been a fan of haunted house flicks and possession movies (y)

Would imagine this one won't get a cinema release Downunder but hopefully not a long time before the discs or streaming drops.

Kev have you caught The Houses October Built, found footage about extreme Halloween attractions.

I watched this film not long ago.
I was a bit distracted while it was playing but it did capture my attention a few times.
Its still in my watch folder for a better more determined viewing.
My impression is that it could be a nice movie series if it explores all the different ghosts.
Each ghost getting its own movie treatment.