Computers Windows 10

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Is anybody looking forward to Windows 10?

I am a long term Windows user, going all the way back to Windows 1.0 (yes, I am that old :P). Currently I am at Windows 7 on the home laptop and... I really don't have any urge to upgrade at the moment. If there was a decent FTP app like FileZilla and powerful text editor for Android then for home use I'd be just as happy with a Android powered laptop.

Work is a different story since at the moment I spend about 80% of day working in different versions of Visual Studio. There a powerful Windows based workstation is a must. Home? Not so much as at house I realize that in recent years I've gone from being a 'power user' to a consumer, somebody who just wants things simple tha work. When my machine eventually dies I don't know at the moment if I'll immediately get another Windows machine or explore alternatives running OSX or even Linux.

So what do you think about Windows 10? Looking forward to it?

Well, I went and updated my laptop to Windows 10 the other night and... so far I like it. :coffee: After having used Win7 at home & work and using Android on my phone & tablets the past few years, Win10 on the laptop feels like a nice merger of what I've liked about a desktop OS and what I've liked about a portable OS.

Plus animated GIFs finally are shown in the photo viewer. I don't know if that was supported in Win8 or not but it is a welcome thing.

First real issue.... Chrome is painfully slow! I'm running the latest version of Chrome 64-bit and takes minutes to do just a simple page load. The new MS Edge browser, on the other hand, lands the page nearly instantly while Chrome is still trying to load the page. Hhhmmm.....

First real issue.... Chrome is painfully slow! I'm running the latest version of Chrome 64-bit and takes minutes to do just a simple page load. The new MS Edge browser, on the other hand, lands the page nearly instantly while Chrome is still trying to load the page. Hhhmmm.....

I had the same problem and did this, bring up your CMD box, put in c:\netsh winsock reset, hit return and then restart your PC, it runs fine now so might be worth a try.

I had the same problem and did this, bring up your CMD box, put in c:\netsh winsock reset, hit return and then restart your PC, it runs fine now so might be worth a try.
That actually helps, thank you! It's been driving me nuts and was starting to make me doubt me putting Win10 on my main laptop. Chrome is still responding a bit slower than Edge but for now at least pages are loading much faster than before.
:cheers:

Unfortunately doing the winsock reset didn't last long. After a day or so it was just as sluggish as before.

My current experiment was to uninstall Chrome and to re-install cleanly. So far that seems to have helped.

After a day or so it was just as sluggish as before

Yes, mine has been the same. I've disabled nearly all the options in settings (including the ridiculous option that allows you to get and send updates "with PCs on the internet") but my system still grinds to a halt if, for example, I'm using Photoshop and leave my browser open...when I got back to browsing my system barely moves (same results in both Firefox and Chrome).

I'm seriously considering rolling back to my previous version (Windows 8.1) as I don't know what else to try.

Yes, mine has been the same. I've disabled nearly all the options in settings (including the ridiculous option that allows you to get and send updates "with PCs on the internet") but my system still grinds to a halt if, for example, I'm using Photoshop and leave my browser open...when I got back to browsing my system barely moves (same results in both Firefox and Chrome).
I was trying the same... turning off nearly every Win10 extra like Cortana and the such but with no results. I uninstalled a bunch of unused apps, turned off stuff like the MS Cloud drive, nothing.

Try doing a fresh install of Chrome. So far it's made a big difference.

I'm seriously considering rolling back to my previous version (Windows 8.1) as I don't know what else to try.
I came from Win7 so rolling back for me would've been putting me back a few years tech' wise. My laptop is also a few years old now (about 4 if I recall correctly) so I can't expect it to be flying with Win10; if I can get performance to be at least on par with what it was on Win7 I'll settle for that.

So Win10 gives a warning that my laptop battery is at 12%... and then promptly initiates a shutdown. :pcerror:

Same machine with Win7 would go down into the single digits of battery percentage remaining and give time to do a clean shutdown.

New Microsoft 'Accident' Forces Windows 10 Onto Windows 7, Windows 8

No, it’s not just you. In recent weeks I’ve received a lot of emails from Windows 7 and Windows 8 users saying Windows 10 has repeatedly tried to self install on their computers. Now, after two weeks of talks with Microsoft MSFT -1.89%, the company has admitted to me that the problem is very real…

The symptoms follow two paths. For some they were using their computer as normal, were prompted for a restart due for standard updates and on reboot found the Window 10 installation was under way. For others they checked their Windows update history and found Windows 10 had tried but failed to install itself without permission over and over again.

The most extreme example I have found of the latter came from one Forbes reader (who wishes to remain anonymous) who found his computer attempted to install Windows 10 on 31 separate occasions. A screengrab showing some of these attempts can be seen below.
W10_Failed_Attempts-1.png

So what’s going on? According to Microsoft the fault lies with a bug in an automatic update it began rolling out to Windows 7 and Windows 8 users in August which triggered the attempted installations. Microsoft didn’t disclose which specific update it was, but confirmed it left the error code ‘0×80240020’ (sometimes recorded as ‘080240020’) in Windows log files when upgrade attempts failed.

Ultimately what should be clear to Microsoft by now is that hardcore fans are now all aboard, but there’s less interest from the mainstream and I suspect the Orwellian control Windows 10 requests of its users is a major factor. How and if Microsoft reacts to this over the remaining months of the free upgrade period (ending July 2016) will be crucial in determining whether Windows 10 is indeed the surefire success its launch once appeared to guarantee…

New Microsoft 'Accident' Forces Windows 10 Onto Windows 7, Windows 8
Fortunately my wife's laptop hasn't done that. She has an identical laptop to mine and is still running Win7 on it and I have no plans of upgrading it anytime soon because she is in the midst of taking some online classes till at least next Spring.

My Win10 laptop recently started a new issue where it wouldn't wake up again after going into sleep mode from closing the lid. After some trial & error I tracked it down to turning off the 'Fast Startup' option; apparently it doesn't play nice with some AMD chipsets. Interestingly turning the option off seems to have had no change to the machine performance or usability.

Last night I did the big Win10 update. In prior years it would've been called a Service Pack but with Win10 now everything is simply a "release".

From what I'm reading the big changes are supposed to be related to Cortana, the Edge browser, and speed performance.

Of those three items I don't use Cortana nor Edge but, so far at least, my laptop does seem to be a much more responsive when switching between actions.

Back