Superheroes Wonder Woman

Alias_Gay

Ensign
We all know the story, the woman, the comic books, and what she represents ... so, I am asking, who do you think should be the one incarnating this role?

Read this at www.msn.com ... very interesting choices ... the author does mention Jennifer Garner, but I can't see her as "Wonder Woman" ... ;)

Who Is The Next 'Wonder Woman'?

Power up the invisible jet and get those bulletproof bracelets shined: After years of standing in the shadows, the fabled Amazon princess is finally coming to the big screen. Last week Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver announced that Joss Whedon would write and direct the first "Wonder Woman" movie.

Whedon is best known for creating "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" and its acclaimed spin-off "Angel," but he has a long career in the movie business, having written the screenplays for "Toy Story" (a group effort) and "Alien: Resurrection." Whedon is currently enjoying good buzz with his upcoming sci-fi adventure "Serenity," which is based on his short-lived Fox TV series, "Firefly." But beyond his background with strong female heroines, Whedon has written a number of comic books, including a current run on "Astonishing X-Men." In fact, Whedon had long been rumored to take over "X3." Whether that was something he was seriously considering is unclear, but he's excited about his new project.

As he said in the announcement's press release, "Wonder Woman is the most iconic female heroine of our time, but in a way, no one has met her yet. When Joel and I began discussing the character, I realized there is a woman behind the legend who is very fascinating, very uncompromising and, in her own way, almost vulnerable. She's someone who doesn't belong in this world, and since everyone I know feels that way about themselves, the character clicked for me."

What does this mean? Well, don't expect a campy homage to the beloved '70s TV show that starred Lynda Carter. Look for a more serious take. I personally hope that includes strong mythological ties the character developed when she was "reborn" by writer/artist George Perez in the 1980s and that continue to resonate in the comic today.

But who will play her? If the filmmakers decide to go for a big movie star, there may not be a lot to choose from. Sandra Bullock has been named as a possibility for the role for years, but at age 41, she might be a tad old for the numerous sequels the studio is obviously anticipating. Angelina Jolie might be perfect, bringing an exotic look and acting chops for the role. However, she's done the icon thing before with Lara Croft, and that didn't end well. Sarah Michelle Gellar made Whedon's Buffy come to life, but rumor has it they aren't interested in working together again. Jennifer Love Hewitt is another actress that people speculated could be a contender, but she might be a bit short for the role. Naomi Watts would be great, but would she do it?

A more authentic idea would be to go with a Latin actress, who would reflect Wonder Woman's Amazon roots. Salma Hayek and Penélope Cruz fit that bill, but Hayek is just way too short and Cruz's accent would be a problem for most American audiences. Jessica Alba is making waves with big movies this year, but one of those is "Fantastic Four," where she's playing the Invisible Woman. You can't play two different super heroes -- those are the rules (sorry, Jennifer Garner). Eva Mendes was great in "Hitch" and would bring some sass to the role, but for a truly inspired choice, I would consider (don't laugh) Jennifer Lopez.  I know what you're thinking: "J-Lo? Did you see 'Gigli' and 'Jersey Girl'? Are you crazy?" Yes, everyone knows she has had some tough times recently, but her career is rebounding. And though she hasn't shown it lately, the girl can act when she wants too (remember "Out of Sight"?). She has the star power, the beauty and the booty for the role.

What is more likely is for an unknown to be cast in the role. Warner Bros. went this route with "Superman Returns," and it allows for more of the budget to be spent on production. Expect the real dollars to go to a more recognizable actor as the picture's villain. One lesser-known actress who is already volunteering is Morena Baccarin, who stars in "Serenity." While sitting in on a Los Angeles comic convention Q&A panel with Whedon last weekend, she made her desire to be considered apparent. Baccarin is of Brazilian ancestry, which might fit Whedon's requirements. But a search will likely go far and wide with many screen tests and internal discussions to come. Don't expect an announcement for some time.

Who do you think should be in the new "Wonder Woman" movie? Let me know at buzz@microsoft.com.

So, who do you think for this role?

Gahh. I can't believe they're making yet ANOTHER comic into a movie. If they have to do this, they have to use a lesser-known Latin actress. Like... the girl from Maria Full of Grace. Or someone else... An actress who usually does Spanish films. No more crappy B-listers.

i don't think they should really go with any new comers. the bad thing about acting as a superhero when ur not really 'established' is that people jsut come to know u as just that superhero. they should get some who has already established themselves in hollywood.

Back