Would You Live in a Tiny House?

Wikipedia-
The tiny house movement (also known as the "small house movement") is a description for the architectural and social movement that advocates living simply in small homes. There is currently no set definition as to what constitutes as a tiny house; however, a residential structure under 500 square feet (46 m2) is generally accepted to be a tiny home. The tiny house movement promotes financial prudence, eco-friendly choices, shared community experiences, and a shift in consumerism-driven mindsets.

I have been considering building one (or buying/moving one if possible) right here on my city lot. I despise my house. :shifty: Love the big yard, but the house is a nightmare.

What holds me back is all the horrifying permits & restrictions, inspections & the cost of tearing down my current house.
Yet I cannot imagine a sweeter & cheaper life than one day being retired and having to pay tiny utility bills, cleaning the home in minutes, living uncluttered.
I do not want an extremely tiny home. Maybe 400 sq ft.
I’d kill for this kitchen though. :blush:
9_F834936-_A6_EC-4_CE4-_BBDD-_F40406511_AAB.jpg

And reclaimed materials work just fine :love:
8984_D3_C0-_B78_F-4041-_BE99-210_FC7_CD2475.jpg

Do any of you already live in a small house?
Would any of you want to?

Last edited:
Would any of you want to?
I think I could do it. It's just Mrs. Kevin, myself, and our two fuzzy dogs so the house we are in at the moment is way too big for our needs; we actually have rooms we don't use. If not an actual 'tiny house' we could easily move down from our colonial to a small single story rancher.

I do want to. If you haven't already, check out the website Tiny House Listings. Aside from the sale listings, you can contact the site and ask questions. Are there ways to work with your local government? How have others been able to work with their local authorities? It's still hard, but I gather it's getting easier all the time.

Hope you can start your tiny house life soon!

The kitchen doesn't have much counter space- I'm not sure about working in it.
I am intrigued by tiny houses and watch the shows on TV. The heating and cooling would certainly be cheaper.
Would it be possible for you to keep your old house and rent it and live in a tiny house built on the same property?

@Bmat thats exactly what I’d do for starts, build it separately from the house I live in then worry about removing my old useless house.
And no way am I climbing a ladder ;)
I’d sleep right there on the first floor. I
I’d use the small dining table as counter space.

Thinking out loud, most of the "tiny houses" I've seen on shows seem to be designed to be mobile, like a camper trailer, and to be off-the-grid with solar power and RV style plumbing. I think I'd be more inclined to consider a tiny house if it was treated as a normal house with hookups for public water, public sewer, gas, and electric. Yeah, there'd still be monthly bills but they'd be so nominal that it wouldn't be much of concern. A big fenced in yard area for the dogs to play in and a small/tiny house with utilities would suit us fine.

We couldn't put one on our current property as our township has minimum lot sizes so I couldn't sub-divide our lot into two parcels. I'd assume that more urban areas would be a lot more stringent with zoning.

Yes @Kevin. It is a nightmare waiting to happen to me, lol.
It was all over the news- Pittsburgh’s FIRST tiny house! The excitement!

A8_ECDAAD-6_DED-4_E5_A-8_BD9-_EBC382_FD36_AC.jpg

Not so fast...from 2016
“So why does Pittsburgh’s first tiny house cost more than twice the average? The Garfield house actually cost much more to build — $191,000 — than its asking price, according to Eve Picker, the architect and urban planner from Australia who spearheaded the project.”
And this-
“The two-year project was also complicated by delays in getting city permits and variances for smaller setbacks and other requirements, Mr. Schulman says.”
(Pittsburgh Post Gazette 1/31/2016)

YIKES! :jawdrop:

As I understand it, having a tiny house on wheels has to do with local laws that are more flexible when it comes to having a "mobile home" on a property than a home with a foundation. There are tiny houses built with utility connections, up to being completely on-grid. It would be up to you how connected you'd want your tiny house to be.

There are also tiny house communities springing up. Tiny House Expedition has recently visited a couple RV parks that are converting to tiny house communities in part or completely. One of the reasons for this is the idea of having more outdoor space for tiny houses: places to walk pets, hang out with the neighbors, etc. The houses can be as connected to the grid as the owners want them to be since the connections already exist. So there might be another option for anyone here thinking about going tiny.[/QUOTE]

Back