Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Would you use a "transporter" if you knew...

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi and Fantasy Talk' started by Kevin, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

... that the basic principle of the design was that a copy of you was actually being created at the other end and not the original you?

Think of the Star Trek transporters and McCoy's concerns about them. Think of the basic principle of what they really do... they break down an item into energy, the energy is put it machine form pattern, the pattern is transmitted to a receiving end, and then at the receiving end that pattern is used to "recreate" the item.

What got me thinking about this was a movie I caught last night that starts off as a drama and about 2/3rds of the way into the story line it turns into sci-fi. I won't give the name of the movie since if you haven't seen it yet then I don't wont to give away any details but if you're curious click the link for the IMDB listing.

So, with the basic premise in mind, would you be willing to walk into a transporter knowing that you will not walk out of the other side but rather a copy of yourself?

2. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

Most Certainly

3. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

Idon't believe the scanning process of Star Trek's transporters is a viable option. How could you poissibly keep your brain connections and memories that make your character up?

I prefer a transporting of a bubble of space, a sphere and all it's physical contents. The sphere would swap contents with the other end, and by that process a device for measuring the air content/temperature in that other space would be necessary for security.
    Unless two machines are mated, requiring the second half of the pair of machines to be physically transported to the target location first.

4. Black Mathias

Black Mathias Twisted Mentat

I've thought about this before myself, and I can honestly say that I would use it in a second. And while we're at it, why couldn't the copy be improved?

"Transport into a better you...today!"

5. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

How to deal with all the disabled people in our community you mean? But messing with nature is dangerous. Change something and a rolling effect could happen. Again, the most crucial things are your brain connections, memories, etc. You could change something that effects that area and then come out the other side physical fixed, but mentally no longer yourself.

6. Kevin

But that's just it... it wouldn't be you but rather a copy of you. The "you" right now would end up going away.

7. Black Mathias

Black Mathias Twisted Mentat

I'm totally ok with both of those.

8. jonliv

jonliv Cadet

Said no...
    firstly, I like who I am and that other person wouldn't be mean.
    secondly, on concept - I don't see how the science works, where is the second machine that buts me back together? How do you deal with the loss of matter that is taken from the beamin location that is used to make the other me?

Makes nice science fiction, but little if any science fact.

9. Webster

Webster The Red Tarheel

Knowing the risks with something like a "transporter", I'd still use it....after all, you only get one shot at life; you might as well go for it when you have the opportunity. :cool:

10. Mar1anneC

Mar1anneC Cadet

You guys can test it for me for a while and let me know how it works. heh heh heh

I am all for fixing disabilities though. I loved home Star Trek could cure all diseases except Captain Picard's baldness.

11. painkiller64

painkiller64 Avoid A Void

yes i would. just dont tell my wife. she would send my atoms into deep space.

12. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

Just Found this article - It is COOLSCIFI!!

Beam Me Up, Scotty: Transporters Might Really Work: Book Review

13. cyclops

cyclops Scout

Yes, because i'm lazy.

14. Mojo

Mojo Rocket Ranger

Dan Simmons has a similar concept in Ilium/Olympos with "faxing"...

Spoiler!

I would definitely have some serious issues with that kind of "teleportation".

15. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Rocket Ranger

Having just dealt with US Airways for a flight to and from Ohio for a wedding I can honestly say I'd use the transporter even if it was a copy of me that came out the other side AND the copy got kicked in the groin for good measure.

16. Kevin

Ouch! Besides 'nickle & diming' you for everything, how else did they mess up your trip?

17. Mojo

Mojo Rocket Ranger

[​IMG]

Which airline was it that said they were going to start charging for pillows and blankets???

(Off-topic but still incredible.)

18. atailofadog

atailofadog Scout

If a copy would be created of me, would then there be two seperate me's roaming on this planet? I don't know if I understood correctly or not.

Anyway, if there was only one me after the transporting and the ways of doing the transport wouldn't in any way damage or alter me but the method was exlusively efficient, I would do it. Not several times, though, because what the scientists say may not always be the truth. But the experience would be way too awesome to miss.

And in case there would be two seperate me made pending the transport, I would refuse. Even one me is enough for the world to stand, not to mention numerous.

19. Kevin

There would only be one of you. Essentially in the scenario I described the transporter mechanism makes a copy of you and then destroys the original.

20. recall

recall Captain

With an exact copy, life goes on. Sure ... why not?
    Heck of a way to do laundry, or do dirty clothes get duplicated smelly?
    Or is new, all new? No bad breath, brushed teeth, showered body, shaved face, full stomach, clipped nails, combed hair, fresh clothes ...