Writers You Avoid?

Webster

The Red Tarheel
We all have our own particular favorite writers...we also, I would assume, have our own set of writers that we avoid, whose works we generally trend to not read for this or that reason. Anyway, there's four writers whom I'm not a fan of....
--George R.R. Martin
--Anne Rice
--Stephenie Meyer
--Orson Scott Card

The reason GRRM and Anne Rice are on this list has to do with their respective views on fan-fiction; both of them oppose fanfic (especially Rice, who, unless I'm mistaken, has threatened to sue, on occasion, places such as FanFiction for having various FF works set in the various universes of her works). Now, I got no problem with this per se'...I mean, its' their respective sandboxes, so they have a right to decide who gets to play in them (and that also applies to FF writers as well). On the other hand, unless I'm mistaken, aren't most FF writers generally fans of a writer's particular work/works; I mean, why would you write FF set in someone's universe if you're not a fan?:eek::eek:

In the case of Twilight writer Stephenie Meyer..well, as a fan of old-school werewolves and vampires, I'd personally like to see her locked up in a room with the werewolves from An American Werewolf In London. :watching:

In the case of OSC, however....I'm of two minds when it comes to Card. On the one hand, he's one of the best modern-era sci-fi writers in my opinion; for what its' worth, if you were to look at most lists of great modern SF writers, odds are he's on a few of those lists. On the other hand, Orson Scott Card is one of the most virulent homophobic bigots to ever walk the face of the earth in my opinion. It's for that reason why I've often said that while I have no problem with the fact that I currently own a few of OSC's novels (mainly w/in the Ender's Game series), it'll be a cold day in Hell before I spend another dollar on any of that (deleted)'s works. :mad::mad:

With Orson Scott Card, I can understand what you mean. Even though his views are not necessarily reflected in his works, it is hard to read any of his works without thinking of his views once you've been exposed to them.

With Orson Scott Card, I can understand what you mean. Even though his views are not necessarily reflected in his works, it is hard to read any of his works without thinking of his views once you've been exposed to them.
Its' a balancing act almost, Kevin...as I above, he's easily one of the better sci-fin writers of the modern era and there've have a few times where I've recommended his works to people regardless of my own personal views towards him, he's that good of a writer. By contrast, I myself - as I said earlier - won't buy any of his works (or for that matter, go to see Ender's Game when it was in theatres) and when asked why, that's pretty much what I tell them.

Back