Wyr idea used in WoW?

See above. My "computer room" has 5 desks, a linux fileserver, wireless and gigabit switches for playing games. I almost exclusively use it with 3 friends and my roommate for playing a 5 man group in WoW. It is fun, and adventurous and just very well done.

Man, you must have some massive air conditioner :P

Or maybe they just keep the fridge door open that happens to be in the middle of the room. It's a gamers heaven. A great LAN party playing a great grouping game with cool drinks within hands reach.

Interesting science fact: keeping the refrigerator door open for too long actually increases the temperature of the room, thanks to our friend Mr. Entropy. B-)

I live in AZ, in the middle of the Salt River Valley (ie: Phoenix), so it's HOT in the summer... Central A/C FTW! It's bad when the AC breaks, cuz then it gets muggy AND hot inside the apartment :(

It does take a lot to keep the room colder, but mainly, the vents throughout my apartment are closed except for the computer room. Even then, the rest of the house is still cooler, but the computer room is cool enough with the ceiling fan to not get over heated. We have found out that running all these computers AND using the hair dryer in the bathroom will pop a circuit breaker ;-P

While similar, it's not the same idea as Wyr. You'll find Wyr in HJ to be a pretty encompassing idea, reflecting and affecting many elements of your character, not just "+1 strength" or "+5 damage to fireball."

The inscription stuff seems like a neat, yet generic, way to expand WoW's mechanics. Again, while Wyr are mechanical, the emphasis is not on mechanics so much as it is on Lore and your character looking the way you WANT it to, not what the artist made for the graphic.

As for WoW's graphics, they are very dated and sat next to newer games (Age of Conan, for example), looks old. However, I will say this. Because the graphics are highly stylized, they have aged well. Even after 5 years the game doesn't look half bad -- compare it to Everquest 2 where realism was the focus at the time, so it feels very dated now. Whereas WoW has aged pretty well, and though inferior to most modern graphics engines, still looks pretty decent because of the art style.

Had they gone for realism, it would be in bad shape now. Very smart move, on their part.

Exactly, Dez! The fun thing about WoW is that it's models are really even simpler than the eye would think. Their art is in the textures, and oh what beautiful and complicated textures the people at Blizzard make to make something like a Naga. I haven't seen anything like it since. They add a lot of depth while making it so your computer reads the same thing as if they didn't add it. The jagged edges of WoW are sort of part of the style since they end up not making a single rounded edge in the entire game.

EQ2 definitely fails at the aging process in my eyes. The only models in it that age gracefully are the animal hybrid ones. I really hope WoW never updates the graphics. I can't imagine how they could do so and not ruin what they have going for themselves currently. A game should worry about gameplay really and then the dressing second.

EQ2 definitely fails at the aging process in my eyes. The only models in it that age gracefully are the animal hybrid ones. I really hope WoW never updates the graphics. I can't imagine how they could do so and not ruin what they have going for themselves currently. A game should worry about gameplay really and then the dressing second.

Well, they could update them to higher resolutions which would probably make them look better, without sacrificing their style :P

Well, they could update them to higher resolutions which would probably make them look better, without sacrificing their style :P

I suppose they could, but I think what most people are WANTING with it is rounding the edges, which would take a lot of the charm away! I almost squealed when I saw the food on tables. A resolution uppage would make it look better, but not really be that significant.

Back