XF Arcade Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Q: What is XF Arcade?
  • XF Arcade is a community driven project to provide an arcade platform to the XenForo community. XF Arcade is intended to be a light-weight gaming platform that matches the look & feel of XenForo.
Q: How much does XF Arcade cost?
  • Nothing! XF Arcade will be made available for free to all XenForo administrators. If you wish to donate to the project then donations can be made either directly to the developers working on the project for their time & efforts and/or can be made to the site administrators to help offset the costs of the dedicated server & other expenses (domains, software licenses, etcetera). [Please note: At the current time we are not seeking nor accepting donations.]
Q: What types of games can XF Arcade play?
  • The initial goal for XFA is compatibility with v3 Arcade games and IBP v32 games. Future enhancements will include Mochi games.
Q: When will XF Arcade be available for public testing?
Q: Who is developing XF Arcade?
  • There is no one single answer to that question since the project is being approached with community participation in mind. The core coding was done by XF Rocks with additional coding by Kevin, DarkImmortal, & others with input from community members. If you would like to offer your services to help out, please let us know!
Q: What features are planned for the XenForo Arcade?
  • For now a comprehensive feature list is To Be Determined (TBD). We want to keep XF Arcade as a 'light' application to fit the look & feel of XenForo and as such don't want to overload it with features & options that don't really get used.
Q: I used to run vBulletin/IPB and my old v3Arcade/IPBProArcade had a feature I really liked but it is not in XF Arcade -- Can I request it?
  • Absolutely! There is no guarantee that all suggested feature will be added but the more feedback provided about what features are wanted will directly impact future development.
Q: What is up with the version numbers?
  • During development the version number was reset from 1.x.x back to 0.0.1 and going from there. The 1.0.0 version number will not be used until a the XenForo Arcade reaches a stable 'Gold' status.
Q: I posted a question in the support forums but it has not been responded to yet. Why?
  • Support for XF Arcade is by community, meaning that peer-to-peer support is the primary support available. All support issues will addressed but there is no guarantee of how long that will take.

1. Q: What is Mochi / Mochi Media / Mochi Ads?
  • Mochia Media is a *FREE* advertising network that offers thousands of *FREE* games for your site! When you create your free Mochi "Publisher" account you will have instant access to thousands of free arcade games that you can use with your XF Arcade game site! No more searching the internet for games, now you can just browse & click to install new games. But it gets even better... by signing up as a publisher and hosting the SWF games files on your site you will receive earnings when your community members plays the games.
    Free games and you earn money at the same time! :eek:
2. Q: So can I use any & all of the games from Mochi Media?
  • Yes, but not all game scores will be recorded. There are two types of Mochi games, those that are "Leaderboard Enabled" and those that are not. Only the Leaderboard Enabled games post back the scores to the "MochiBridge" so that the scores & other data can be captured. You can install the games that are not LeaderBoard Enabled but the scores will not be recorded. When browising Mochi games from within inside of the ACP, the default listing will be for the "Leaderboard Enabled" games.
3. Q: So I can sign up for free, get free games, and earn a little bit of money when my members play the games... how reliable is it?
  • During testing of dozens of different Mochi games we have found out that not all Mochi games are created equal. There are two known issues that you might encounter. That first is that even if a game is LeaderBoard Enabled there is a small chance that the game creator is using a custom method of implementing the LeaderBoard instead of the standard recommended code. That means there is a possibility of a game that can be played but not having the scores saved in XF Arcade (or any other custom application). The other issue encountered is a bit more complicated.
  • Because the games need to talk with the Mochi Media servers in order to retrieve the ads and to process your scores, your site needs to be able to talk to the Mochi Media servers. Sounds simple but in testing we encountered the situation where after the game is played, and the scores ready to be submitted, the Mochi Media servers can not be connected with resulting in no scores being submitted. Reloading the page & playing again would then work fine. When Mochi Publishers report problems reaching the Mochi server, their support team tends to be a bit... defensive... in their responses. We have no control over this problem.
4. Q: How much money can I earn from Mochi Ads?
  • Only the Mochi Media team can answer that question. See this thread in the Mochi support forums for some insight.
  • Our recommendation is to look at any revenue as an added bonus on top of getting free games.
5. Q: How do I sign up to get free Mochi games and earn commissions?
  • Click HERE and then click on the "Publisher" tab at the top of the screen. You can then get more information about the Mochi Ads program and read their FAQs. When you are ready, click on the "FREE Sign Up ->" button to create your account.
  • *** Make sure you read the Mochi Ads agreement fully before creating your account. Your Mochi Ads account is entirely between you and Mochi Media and we, XF Arcade, have nothing to do with it. ***
6. Q: I created my new account, what else do I need to do?
  • First you will need to have installed XF Arcade 0.0.9 or above! After that you will need to do some steps that will have you up & running in just a few minutes.
    1. Log into your Mochi account and click on the "Settings" tab.
    2. Enter the domain URL to your site where you have XF Arcade installed. For example, if your XF Arcade is installed at http://www.MySite.com/arcade then you would enter "www.mysite.com" as the URL name.
    3. Follow the steps shown to verify that you are the owner of the domain.
    4. Upload the file "crossdomain.xml" from inside of the XF Arcade zip file to your root directory. This is needed to allow you to receive credit for the games played at your site and to also allow the Mochi Ads servers to calculate the checksums needed for the scores.
    5. Update ACP => XF Arcade => Options => Mochi Publisher ID
    6. Update ACP => XF Arcade => Options => Mochi Secret Key
7. Q: How do I install Mochi games to my XF Arcade?
  • Currently direct support from within the XF ACP is supported.
  • To install games right from inside of your ACP, select ACP => XF Arcade => Import MochiMedia Games to browse through the available games. Just check the ones that you are interested in and then hit the "Import Game" button. You can optionally do a filter search if you are a looking for a particular game or games from a particular category.
It really is that easy! :eek:

8. Q: I need help with a Mochi game. Can you help me?
  • We only can help as far as testing the game with XF Arcade to see if the problem is related to XF Arcade or not. If the problem is not related to XF Arcade then you will need to contact the games creators.
9. Q: I need help with my Mochi Ads account. Can you help me?
  • No. We have no control over your Mochi Ads account or settings. You will need to contact the Mochi Media support team for help. We can advise what you options you need to configure (see #6 above) but that is it.
10. Q: I want to use a Mochi game but it is not LeaderBoard Enabled so the scores aren't saving. Can you modify the game for me to be either LeaderBoard Enabled or convert it to the XFA Core or IPB format?
  • No. We can not and will not modify any games without the game creators explicit permissions. You will need to contact the games creators requesting that they update the game to be Mochi LeaderBoards Enabled, or to be available in a different format that is compatible with XF Arcade, or to see if they grant permission for the game to be converted by a 3rd-party.
11. Q: Mochi allows games to be played remotely on the Mochi Media servers instead of having to install them to my server. Will XF Arcade be updated to allow me to use remote games?
  • At this time there are no immediate plans for supporting that particular feature. By running the games from your own server you will receive revenue from the ads that are displayed in the games; you do not receive any revenue from using remote games. Supporting remote games may considered for a future version of XF Arcade if there is enough demand for it.
12. Q: I have an XF Arcade Branding Free License but the Mochi games still show logos from Mochi Ads/Mochi Media or other companies. Why?
  • A XF Arcade Branding Free License only pertains to the actual XF Arcade script. We have no control over any games that you install from Mochi or from other sources.
13. Q: What is the difference between "Mochi", "Mochi Ads", and "Mochi Media" games or settings?
  • There is no difference. The Mochi games with ads were originally branded as being the "Mochi Ads" network but later the name was switch to the more generic "Mochi Media" branding but you can still find references to the older Mochi Ads name in various places. "Mochi" is used a general term for the Mochi Media company and their games.
14. Q: Does XF Arcade support the 'autpost' option to install games to my site while browsing the Mochi web site?
  • Not at this time.
15. Q: Some of my users are able to play Mochi games but their scores are not being saved. This does not happen for everybody, just some users. What might be the problem?
  • Make sure that your users are not using AdBlock+ (ABP) or other ad blocking software! Some of the ABP subscriptions block the various Mochi URLs in order to attempt to block the ads from showing before playing the game. The problem with that is that in order to have your user's scores saved to XFA there is a file served from the Mochi servers that must be allowed through. By blindly blocking the Mochi URLs to block the ads it also blocks the file needed to capture the scores after a game has been played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back