Politics You Can't Ban VEGEMITE!

ams4alias

Cadet
So It has come to my attention that I as an Australian can not take Vegemite with me to America because it's got folate in it!! :angry: What are these people on!! :blink: I can't believe this! Seriously Vegemite it the world's riches source of Vitamin B!! it's Healthy (y) and it's being banned!!! :eek:

Yes I realise some of you think is disgusting but your probably not eating it right........yes there is a certain way to eat it!! :D

you get your toast, apply butter, then add a LIGHT scape of Vegemite just a small amount, and enjoy it's what Australians have grown up with their entire lives yes that's right Vegemite is 80 years old!!

and I'll leave you with these parting words

LONG LIVE VEGEMITE!!!! ;)

:shock:

Why not just get rid of EVERYTHING Australian? :cry: I mean, I thought that just not having Aussie claims to Vegemite and Blundstones was enough... but actually BANNING IT? :angry:

Off-topic, but - trust ams4alias to get fired up about this! :lol: Good ol' Aussie pride, gotta love it :P

The Code of Federal Regulations #172.345 allows folate to be added to a small number of foods, but vegemite is not one of them. However, according to the Food and Drug Administration, that there is no known prohibition on the importation of vegemite.

Therefore, there is no official policy within CBP targeting vegemite for interception.

(from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website)

Being an aussie I have to agree

Dont get me wrong I LOVE America I intend to live there in a few short years but to BAN our precious VEGEMITE is just plain ludicrous

It's like the biggest thing here

Next thing we hear is they ban TimTams

When I found this out I was eating a Vegemite sandwich in school, in the cafeteria. The sherif was behind me as he said it. It was really funny, I paused, then shoved the whole thing into my mouth and acted like I never had a sandwich. There wasnt much left though!

At the time we had a HUGE jar of it in our house (one of the mega ones) and we werent willing to part with said jar. We had made my brother bring it when he came over for a visit, so it was special in that way too.

Anyway, the Sherif and I are friends (luckily), and he told me the following day that we can have Vegemite, we just cannot import it. He just wanted to pay me back for all the teasing I put on him!

But the ban is lifted now so YAY! Also, if any of you are near an Australian Bakery in Georgia, it has Aussie food there. I walked in and burst into tears cause the server gave someone a Vegemite Sandwich...it was so simple yet so Australian, and being away for 5 years had really made me miss home. He gave me a freebie cause he felt bad for me missing home, which was really sweet. We went to the one which serves fish and chips and it was just awesome. We get pies, sausage rolls, and Vegemite delivered from there all the time now :D. The owners are apparently from Bendigo, which is near where I used to live.

But all that said I'm finally going home hopefully for good this August :D.

Vegemite is awesome, we have it here in the UK.

Much better than that muck named Marmite. :blink:

Why is Vegemite/folate not allowed to be imported to the US?

Marmite is like a screwed up Vegemite.

I heard, and please don't quote me, it was a typo which forced things to be too strict, and when someone went over it later they discovered Vegemite wasnt allowed. I was told it was a very old thing no one had looked at for ages.

Back