You have seen the Movie

There are many books out there that have been turned into movies. Have you ever read a book that you liked so much, that you had to find out if they had turned it into a movie?

Have you ever seen a movie that you liked so much that you had to read the book?

For me it is Jane Austen - but there are so many adaptations of her books that I know that I haven't seen them all yet. For instance I can think of four versions of Pride and Prejudice (another version is coming out this year with Kiera Knightly) and there are three versions of Pride and Prejudice set in modern times.

Most of the time, I read the book first and I see the movie after. The only times I have done the opposite, it was for Interview with the vampire and Captain Corelli's mandolin. The movies and the books were very good!

I saw The Jackal with Bruce Willis, which was an average film based on The Day of The Jackal by Frederick Forsyth. The book was excellent, as was the original film based on it from the 70's I went and watched.

Also, after watching the films, I had to read The Godfather by Mario Puzo. It would now go in my top five books in history. It's a truly magnificent achievement in literature.

Oh yeah, I watched Timeline while I was halfway through the book by Michael Crichton; went and read Enigma by Robert Harris after seeing the film; also watched Hannibal & Red Dragon & read both books by Thomas Harris. I'd recommend all of them... (y)

i wtched the first LOTR movie, then my mum brought me the books.
but with the second and third i read the books then saw the movies.
but most of the time i see the movies first then read the books.
except for harry potter

I try to read the books first, because more often then not the movies are rather disappointing, and I'd much rather develop my own characters/scenery in my head first before seeing what it "should" be like on the big screen.

I try to read the books first, because more often then not the movies are rather disappointing, and I'd much rather develop my own characters/scenery in my head first before seeing what it "should" be like on the big screen.

ditto. i definitely agree. i want to create that scenery for myself too. and usually the books are better. but there are also cases in which the movies are better, though that's not as common as the other way. there are some movies that have inspired me to read the book, but usually it's the other way around. :smiley:

I also like to read the books first... it gives you a better understanding of the story and lets you appreciate it more :smiley:

It really depends, if I have read the book and liked it I will go see the film, but if I saw the film and liked it, I will go read the book.... it just depends

For Harry Potter it's always been book before the movie, same with the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I want to read Phantom of the Opera, though, now that I've seen the movie. Memoirs of a Geisha didn't leave much of an impression on me so I doubt I'll read it. I guess my answer's the same: it depends.

I usually read the books first but that could be because I have an English teacher as a mother. Harry Potter, LOTR, even Brokeback Mountain. The only exception might be Jane Austen. They are hard stories to read if you don't first have a general idea about what is going on. Personally, I would recommend Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet. It was a superb adaptation and did the story justice.

Back